Starboard horizontal vent cover for 1998 Model 4087 Motoryacht

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starboard horizontal vent cover for 1998 Model 4087 Motoryacht

This past weekend in heavy seas in the northern Chesapeake Bay, waves quartering on my starboard beam tore the cover that hides the bilge vents completely off my boat. Has anyone ever had the same situation? Are there replacement covers available? If so, how are you able to reinstall them as the original appears to have been screwed in from inside the hull, but when I attempted to reach into the exposed vents, there was a plywood barrier that I don't know how to get around. Help!!!
    Attached Files

The side vent mountings should be accessible from the side of the boat and they are made from a plastic material. They are screwed on with Phillips screws. Finding a replacement will be tough, but both sides are identical, so that could be a pattern/mold for a new one. Before going to those lengths, try calling the parts department of Lake Union SeaRay in Seattle - if anyone can source a new cover, those guys are the most likely.
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

Comment

Thank you very much, Rob. I'll give Lake Union a call and see what I come up with. Admittedly, I haven't yet crawled into the bilge behind the engines for the purpose of seeing what kind of access I have to the back side of the vent covers. I'll be down there next week and I'll have a go at it. Problem is, I can usually get my 70 year old bones to crawl in. It's crawling out again that's the challenge. Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

• MerlinV
        MerlinV commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately, these air boxes are not accessible from the inside of the boat, they are sealed off to only allow an air supply for the engine room, but prevent any water ingress. Making it even more difficult, they are covered by the fuel tanks, but you shouldn't need any inside access. When I mentioned the plastic mounts, it reads as if the covers themselves are plastic. I think they are pressed metal.

I'm hoping I've found a resource at BaylinerCustomerCare.com. At least I found the covers on one of their catalogue pages. I just wrote to them and we'll see what they come back with. I asked for availability and instructions on how they mount. Thank you for your feedback! Much appreciated.

Comment

I've struck out trying to find a replacement vent cover for my 4087. Does anyone know of a fiberglass fabricator who could make one? I'm getting desperate. I've exhausted all leads trying to locate one.

Comment

Working...
        X