Olsson Davit 7/32" Stailess Steel Cable Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olsson Davit 7/32" Stailess Steel Cable Replacement

Having had several previous cables break, I'm replacing the steel cable with 1/4" Amsteel rope. The steel cable attaches to the winch drum via a simple double back system. Any suggestions for attaching the Amsteel rope to the drum? Thanks.
    Hugh
    1996 Bayliner 3988

I've been using "Amsteel" on our davit for many years,great stuff,also used it to tow our 24' Scout C/C. As for your question I put it thru the drum (hole) on end of spool and wrapped it around spool at least 8 turns then filled the spool.My winch is a Waren yours might be different....Hope this helps...Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

When you replaced the SS cable any problem from wear on the Amsteel from the guide in front of the davit spool?
      Thanks in advance...

Comment

I'am still using the same "Amsteel " to this day and no signs of ware,and if memory serves me correctly I had replaced the warn winch just the year before (2017 with my spare)and used the same Amsteel.
        Brad & Sharon
        Lady Jake
        1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
        Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

On my Olsson davit the amsteel line simply went into a hole on the drum. As I recall a set screw secured it in the hole same as with the previous cable

Comment

It just occured to me that we maybe talking about different Davits, Ours is a Olsson Davit Crane mounted just ahead of our front windscreen. It would seem by photos your Davit is probably on your stern and therefore is probably different.

Comment

Location of the davit is not the concern, Amsteel is awesome and we have on our Brower on our 4588...we prior to that had the natistructure factory davit and upgrade from stainless to Amsteel, the issue we had is the Amsteel believe or not has less stretch then the stainless cable, meaning it puts more stain on the davit with shock load (ie a swell while lifting or windings that slip (assuming your davit is drum style like our old one vs linear hydraulic like our current one....this was issue on our old one and we actually broke arm in very rare but it happens when the winding slipped, created shock load, and arm gave out. The statements I giving you are what the insurance company report had from the inspector then set to our boat to examine the damage. They were hoping for lack or maintenance or corrosion to get out of paying, but that was not case....so they had to cover it, but findings is what I am sharing. Hence our the brower davit we now have and it is linear style system so no windings that slip or get stuck. My point is Amsteel great stuff just understand what makes it different and is it OK for your application....not saying to not do it, just understand your davit, weight of your load, rating on your davit, and so on....
              Mark
              USCG OUPV
              1990 4588
              Carlsbad, CA

Comment

When lifting we always used braided stainless line as replacements for the lifting davit - never a problem.
                When we were towing a larger dinghy, we always used Amsteel with "V" bridle of 3 strand twisted line at the towing boat to accept the shock loads - never a problem.
                Different goals require different solutions.
                Northport NY

Comment

Working...
                X