Flybridge instrument panel refurbishment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flybridge instrument panel refurbishment

My upper helm station on my 3870 is looking pretty tired, many old mounting holes, cracks, etc. I am looking for a simple approach to cover this, perhaps with coin pattern electrical mat....looking for suggestions and experience.

Reach out to SomeSailer and have him make you a new panel. Does beautiful work for a very reasonable price.
    Patrick and Patti
    4588 Pilothouse 1991
    12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
    M/V "Paloma"
    MMSI # 338142921

Comment

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...-and-engraving
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Yes...reach out to Mike. I have this on my list but other projects have priority on my 38.
        Sean
        1987 3870
        Crimson Pride II
        Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
        MMSI: 338080226

Comment

I made a new panel out of 1/4" black starboard and upgraded all the switches. I still have the original gauges for now but will replace them as well but not the current priority.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Helm.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	460280Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02226.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	460281Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_232013029_iOS.jpg
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	460282Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_232006025_iOS.jpg
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	460283

Paul
          US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
          MMSI: 338181912

Comment

Originally posted by O1dSoldier View Post
            I made a new panel out of 1/4" black starboard and upgraded all the switches. I still have the original gauges for now but will replace them as well but not the current priority.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Helm.JPG
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	460280Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02226.JPG
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	460281Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_232013029_iOS.jpg
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	460282Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_232006025_iOS.jpg
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	460283
            Looks real nice! Curious, do those bennet trim tab indicators work? Feels like a dumb question but I would like to know how they work as I'd like to have some indication on mine. Seems like they would need angle sensors on the tabs themselves but maybe they can be calibrated based on duration?

Tony Bacon,
            Washougal, WA
            Caspian
            1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

I second that on the trim tab indicators. I have to measure mine with a thin stick down between the swim deck and transom. :-P Also, What did you do to clean up, polish the clear gauge glass (plastic).. I have a few cloudy ones.

Comment

Looks real nice. I have contemplated redueing my bridge dash as well. Did the PH dash a while ago but now the upper dash just doesn't look as good.
                Patrick and Patti
                4588 Pilothouse 1991
                12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                M/V "Paloma"
                MMSI # 338142921

Comment

A slight drift to the thread... our 1998 4788 flybridge Black panels and other black plastic items were very faded. I used a vinyl/rubber restoration product from Griots automotive line. That was back in late June/early July. I’m not near the boat for several weeks, but the finish was still deep black on all areas and looked like new (except for a bit of fading on white trim lines). Not a permanent solution but very easy,inexpensive, and effective.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...er+dressing.do.
                  Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                  Sammamish WA
                  1998 4788 (April 2018)
                  ”Knot Home”

Comment

Hi Folks,

The trim tab indicators do work and they auto-retract when the engine is shut off. I have been thinking of adding the auto-trim as well. What it does is remember your optimum trim setting (that you set) and then auto- adjust your trim as you increase or decrease speed. Look for Tabman on the forum, he works for Bennett. Nice guy.

For the gauge lenses, I used very fine wet-dry sandpaper to get the oxidation of and get to a relatively smooth surface, I think I ended on 2000 grit, then I used plastic polish and some elbow grease. I used Novus #2 then #1. I didn't use anything on the black gauge bezels other than hot water and a stiff brush. I do have one gauge lens that has some spider-web cracks but I have not been able to find a replacement lens.

The next thing will be replacing the ignition switch panel with the same black starboard and then the shift/throttle levels, not the mechanism, just the levers. They can be replaced for about $50 each.

Last up will be rebuilding the steering wheel hub, I know there is a thread on here somewhere that talks about how to do that and get the replacement parts to solve the "gritty" feel when turning the wheel.

Paul

Comment

Thank you! I have up to 4000 grit paper for my Mirka sander.. I may give it a whirl and clean up the lenses..

Comment

I did the sanding on mine by hand, i'd be hesitant to use an electric sander if for any reason that to prevent creating flat spots in the lens if I didn't keep it moving quick enough.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                        X