630 Transmission coolers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

630 Transmission coolers

I'm considering replacing my trans coolers this winter because they are the last pieces of the boat I have not reviewed/replaced since buying her 2 years ago. I have no information in the log if this has ever been done so I think I would like to "take the bull by the horns". Does anyone have any experience with what replacements to avoid? I understand Marine Supply in Nanaimo has "an aftermarket" that they found. Has anyone used them? Thanks, Pete
    1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
    previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

I had great service from Manifold Warehouse in Burnaby for my Westerbeke. Most are made by SeaKamp in Bellingham WA. Shipping was fast and less than half of what I would have paid from Westerbeke.
    http://www.manifoldwarehouse.com/mes...ype=exch&id=22
    "Adios Dinero"
    1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
    Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Hi Pete
      I get my Translation coolers from "Lenco". You might give them a call . 5 SINGLE OIL COOLERS.pdf
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Thanks you guys! I knew there were options and not just signing up for the 7 to 8 hundred $ one from Marine Supply.
        1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos

Comment

If you are dealing with Manifold Warehouse on the oil coolers they offer Copper or Cupro Nickle for only a few dollars more. Same part number with CN at the end.
          Cupro nickle will outlast your Pension.
          On my Westerbeke order it was exactly 23 hours from ordering to being delivered to my Marina east of Toronto. It was shipped direct from SeaKamp but I paid the Canadian importer so there was no clearing or brokering involved.
          "Adios Dinero"
          1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
          Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

I had mine rebuilt at Seattle Radiator, they did all my coolers.
            Jay J.
            98' 3587 - Respite
            Twin 250 Cummins diesel
            Camano Island Wa.

Comment

Why waste many hundreds of dollars on new coolers when you can do the same as Cruiser 35 and have them rebuilt by a radiator shop? They will be completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected closely and repaired if necessary, then reassembled, pressure tested and painted. They will be as good as new and you will have money left over for more fuel. Call a few radiator shops, and get pricing.
              Stan
              2001 Bayliner 4788
              Underhulls
              Bow & Stern Thrusters
              Hydronic heater
              330 Cummins

Comment

Stan, I was thinking of that. Problem is that were I live there might only be one place - with mixed reviews I might add- that still does that work. Definitely worth looking into though.
                1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos

Comment

Bad idea to rebuild the trans coolers. The rad shop cannot estimate the thickness of the tubes, all they can do is confirm they don't leak...now.. I put the aftermarket ones on my Hinos from Marine Supply. I think they were supplied by Seakamp. For about 1/2 a boat buck you have peace of mind. Change them every 10 years as preventative maintenance.
                  When you install them, apply some rubber tape or silicone to the bracket as padding to prevent chafe and dissimilar metal issues with the steel bracket.

Cheers, Gary
                  Afterglow 4788
                  Gary Weiss
                  Sidney BC
                  ArbutusCoastYachts.com

Comment

+1 for Lenco coolers. I have been using them for years, great quality and great price. Not really cost effective to rebuild these smaller coolers, they are relatively cheep to replace. I replace my transmission and engine oil coolers approximately every 5 to 7 years.
                    Ron
                    1989 3218
                    1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
                    2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

You guy must have something quite different than I do. My replacements were about $80ea
                      1989 3888
                      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Originally posted by weiss View Post
                        Bad idea to rebuild the trans coolers. The rad shop cannot estimate the thickness of the tubes, all they can do is confirm they don't leak...now.. I put the aftermarket ones on my Hinos from Marine Supply. I think they were supplied by Seakamp. For about 1/2 a boat buck you have peace of mind. Change them every 10 years as preventative maintenance.
                        When you install them, apply some rubber tape or silicone to the bracket as padding to prevent chafe and dissimilar metal issues with the steel bracket.

Cheers, Gary
                        Gary, I just called Marine Parts Supply and discovered the same thing about Seakamp. Thanks for the tips about the dissimilar metals.
                        Pete
                        1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos

Comment

Here is an old post we made about trans coolers....last pair we bought about 6 years back was maybe $110 each. Please remember to measure your hoses, fittings and size before ordering...

Bayliner trans coolers

Trans coolers come in various types of materials (Cu or CuNi) , with or without zincs, varying hose ends for the trans fluid, and various bundle lenghts. It is up to you as to which materials and whether to have zincs or no zincs and up to the existing hoses and placement for the other 2 options.
                          We have used Lenco numerous times for marine cooling parts like these as they have a large stock and have been in this business a long time. We have determined that we do not want zincs (no particulates , cold media) and that we do want CuNi (better wear, more pressure tolerant).
                          Our boat utilizes a 1-1/2 inch coolant hose at the coolers, the tube bundle is 12" length overall , and the oil lines are 3/8" -18 NPTF.
                          So our P/N at Lenco is #2915N
                          2 - is a 2 inch overall cooler diameter
                          9 - is a 9" tube bundle w/o the ends
                          15 - designates a 1-1/2 inch hose
                          N - is for Cu Ni

If you wanted zincs you would add a "Z" to the end and the overall length would increase by 1-1/4".

LenCo
                          690D Albany Ave.
                          North Amityville , NY , 11701
                          phone
                          631-842-4049 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 631-842-4049 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
                          Fax 631-842-3908

They come primed not painted so if you buy here have a can of spray paint handy when you are ready to install.
                          Hope this helps.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/RONKRU~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Northport NY

Comment

Smitty, thanks for this. I just messaged lenco for a quote but I need to confirm the dimensions once I get to the boat. Very helpful
                            1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos

Comment

Working...
                            X