muir cougar chain binding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

muir cougar chain binding

Any one have this problem. When bringing chain up, its binding or hooking up on the lip of ? ( not sure what you would call it) the cover to chain hold just below the gypsum. It has never done this before nothing has moved. Chain is original gypsum is original. chain seems to be jumping around more on gypsum when retrieving causing chain not to drop straight down in hold.
    1993 43.88 bayliner motoryatch

If you are using an all chain rode it's possible that the gypsy is starting to wear. This part is replaceable. I would contact Muir and get there opinion of the issue. If new parts are needed they can supply them.
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
    34' Tollycraft- sold
    88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

There is also a "stripper" a stainless plate that strips the chain off the gypsy as it turns. Make sure that it is still in place and not loose

Comment

The cover where the chain enters the chain locker is often the culprit for causing chain jams. When we had our M490, we removed the cover and installed a new stripper which solved the jamming problems, and allowed the chain to run into the locker nicely. (see picture)

If you are getting chain jumping over the gypsy, wear may have taken place on the gypsy, and probably on the chain itself. As the chain wears between the links, the accuracy of the fit into the gypsy becomes too long causing this slippage. The danger is that the chain can become a runaway, and you have no choice other than to let it go until it grips again, often with the result that 100ft of chain is on the bottom in no time. If this does happen, stay away from it as serious injury to fingers or toes can occur in a split second.
        Attached Files
        Rob
        Bayliner 5788
        'Merlin V'
        Vancouver BC

Comment

Hi Joe
          another thing you could try,this might point to either chain or gypsy..... reverse your chain,as most of us don't use the last bit of chain their is little ware on it,it should act like new chain on the gypsy if problem still occurs the it's most likely the gypsy....Give it a go.... Good luck....Brad
          Brad & Sharon
          Lady Jake
          1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
          LaConner,Wa. (summer)
          2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
          kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Originally posted by MerlinV View Post
            The cover where the chain enters the chain locker is often the culprit for causing chain jams. When we had our M490, we removed the cover and installed a new stripper which solved the jamming problems, and allowed the chain to run into the locker nicely. (see picture)
            I've had the same experience as the OP where the chain does not smoothly release from the wheel and ends up binding up below the wheel and forward of the port to the chain locker. I don't have that stripper component. Can you share a part # and supplier with us?

Thanks.
            Evan
            2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
            League City, TX

Comment

• MerlinV
              MerlinV commented
              Editing a comment
              Evan, it’s been a while since I installed the chain pipe & stripper. I can’t put my hand on the original part number I used, but I’ll be in the marina later today and will ask at the chandlers that supplied it. On the Muir Cougar windlass, there should be a stainless steel chain stripper already installed. It bolts below the gypsy and extends almost to the center - make sure that yours is in place.

• egbauman
              egbauman commented
              Editing a comment
              Rob - thanks. I've been all over that windlass and cannot remember seeing anything like a chain stripper. Perhaps one of the previous owners removed it. I'll look again when I get to the boat on Friday and post a photo of what I have (or don't have).

Does anyone know where you can buy a new gypsum in Canada for a Muir Cougar. I am on Vancouver Island.
            Thanks Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jim-bigrigg View Post
              Does anyone know where you can buy a new gypsum in Canada for a Muir Cougar. I am on Vancouver Island.
              Thanks Jim
              Hi Jim
              try. Trotac Marine. LTD 370. Gorge red. East Victoria. 250 -386-2341. Their located in Sidney.
              Brad & Sharon
              Lady Jake
              1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
              LaConner,Wa. (summer)
              2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
              kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Have had this issue...on and/off. The stripper was loose a few times so use some thread lock to help hold it into place, and they the OEM cover rim started to bend, so with a brass bars and encouragement we reshaped it back out of the way....I really like what MerlinV did and would also like find out who made that pipe striper you pictured above as that looks like a better longterm solution.
                Mark
                USCG OUPV
                1990 4588
                Carlsbad, CA

Comment

The chain pipe & stripper is actually a Muir part, and fits the Cougar and Cheetah windlasses. I've attached a picture plus an engineering drawing which contains the part number. The retail price is a little out there at $200, but you may be able to twist arms a little on this.

To get the correct height from the foredeck, the chain pipe was mounted on a piece of 5/8" thickness starboard which I cut to the shape around the non-skid area.

Click image for larger version  Name:	muirchainstripper_ (002).jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	459351

This is the chain pipe drawing. chainpipe P05-CPPCHRC1200TW.pdf
                  Rob
                  Bayliner 5788
                  'Merlin V'
                  Vancouver BC

Comment

FWIW the chain stripper on my Muir Cougar is completely different from the one shown in the photo as part of the chain pipe hawser. Mine is a separate Stainless Steel plate which is bolted with two bolts to the side of the windlass near the bottom. When installed it nestles up against the throat of the Gypsy thus forcing the chain to loosen off the gypsy. This part can break in which event it is easy to see that it no longer contacts the gypsy and it is also easy to unbolt and replace.
                    Alan Teed
                    MOONDANCE
                    '94 4788
                    Gig Harbor, WA
                    Previously:
                    2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
                    Bayliner 2855
                    1977 Cal 34' blowboat
                    1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
                    Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

You can order a replacement gypsy from IMTRA at imtra.com. They are on the east coast and very helpful. They may be able to source one closer to you but I would start with them as they are the manufacturer/authorized repairer for Muir windlass.
                      Alan Teed
                      MOONDANCE
                      '94 4788
                      Gig Harbor, WA
                      Previously:
                      2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
                      Bayliner 2855
                      1977 Cal 34' blowboat
                      1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
                      Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

If you want to try a new gypsy I have 2 each 5/16 bbb gypsy I have went away from Muir to Lofran
                        cheers Roy
                        Ketchkan. Alaska
                        1988 3818
                        EH 700
                        Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Here’s a picture of my Cougar windlass. Where is the stripper? Is it that piece of metal going upward at the very bottom of the gypsy?
                          Evan
                          2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
                          League City, TX

Comment

• MerlinV
                            MerlinV commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, the chain stripper is the vertical plate mounted with 2 Allen Bolts. I believe that there is a small amount of adjustment available.
                            I noticed that the fall of the chain from the gypsy into the chain pipe is not vertical and is likely to have a tendency to bind on the cover when being retrieved into the chain locker.

My chain started doing the same thing, catching on the lip of the hawse pipe and binding. By coincidence, I noticed the bow roller was worn through and the chain was dragging on the through bolt. After replacing the roller, the chain stopped binding and catching on the hawse pipe... FYI
                          Afterglow 4788
                          Gary Weiss
                          Sidney BC
                          ArbutusCoastYachts.com

Comment

Working...
                          X