Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a direct replacement for Rule Winch as used on the 4788 dinghy davit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uppy22 View Post

So you got a new motor, didn’t rebuild your existing one, am I understanding that correctly?

If a new motor, what sort of modifications did you have to make to the crane arm? Cost of the new motor?

Thanks for sharing!

Correct. New motor through rulewinchparts.com and it bolted directly in to the davit arm with no mods at all. Wound it with Amsteel.

Chris
    Chris & Bethany
    Sleep Walk - 1999 4788 w/330 Cummins
    New to us in October 2017
    Moored in Anacortes, WA

Sold: 1994 2855 Rosalita 7.4L B2 2013-2017

Comment

The Harbor Freight Badlands winch will not fit in the stock 4788 davit. Bolt patterns are wrong and it’s about an inch too long. I sent mine to Rulewinchparts for a rebuild. They identified the issue, cleaned everything up and sent it back for under $400. Maybe $350, I can’t remember. Good people.

I bought Amsteel to replace the old steel line, which had burrs and was dangerous. Works great and is significantly quieter.

Comment

I’ve contacted Rule winch parts and they tell me they can’t get new or rebuild my stock rule winch on our 2000 47. What is a guy to do?
        2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
        12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
        MV Kia Orana
        Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
          I’ve contacted Rule winch parts and they tell me they can’t get new or rebuild my stock rule winch on our 2000 47. What is a guy to do?
          Call North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes. They sourced a new bolt in winch for my 2001 4788 back in 2012.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
          https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Well, the Rule winch on my 4788 davit has now experienced similar issues as others have noted - it'll go fine in one direction, but labored in the other direction and now will no longer go in that direction.

I've reached out to rulewinchparts.com to see if they're still an option for repair, but has anyone had any recent luck with a repair or replacement?
            Pat
            Paragon
            1999 4788

Comment

• Papa_Charlie
              Papa_Charlie commented
              Editing a comment
              Reach out to an automotive electric shop. One that rebuilds starters and alternators. They can probably rebuild the one you have for a fraction of new. I had my stern thruster motor rebuilt a while back. Replacement was $900 for the motor only, the Auto Electric shop in my town rebuilt it for $120. Like brand new.

I had the same problem as others here with my Rule winch. Sent an email to Rule who replied they no longer offer repair/rebuild service due to exorbitant labor costs in SoCal. I needed up taking mine to Tacoma Electric Motor Service (Electricmotorservice.net) and they were able to re-assemble mine. While it was out I replaced the fraying steel cable with Amsteel; Harbor Freight sells ATV winch cables (ropes?) for under $40USD. Put it all back together last week and it works perfectly. I would think any competent electric motor repair shop should be able to help…
            Drew Haas
            1998 4788 "Painkiller"

Comment

I used this after, pulling it apart and covering it in anti corrosion paint. Works fine, needed to re-do bolt pattern and wiring. Replaced stainless with Amsteel as others have done. https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-l...ope-57365.html
              1996 4087 Lazy Days
              2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
              2011 Porsche Cayman
              2010 Lexus IS 250C
              2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Working...
              X