Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a direct replacement for Rule Winch as used on the 4788 dinghy davit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a direct replacement for Rule Winch as used on the 4788 dinghy davit?

My winch quit lifting about 12 days into a 16 day trip. I towed the dinghy til the end and was able to get one last lift by feeding out the line and wrapping it in reverse so that "out" became "in".

Rule is now out of business almost 10 years. It is difficult to find a supply of parts but I have found the threads here about who to contact. I have a ~$300 option for a new motor and brake assembly but I was wondering if anyone has located a direct replacement which fits in the current davit arm without modification, or very little modification. Nothing turned up in searches I've tried but I was hoping someone has a bolt in replacement.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Winch is a Rule V33SR on a 1999 4788, rated for 3300#.
    Chris & Bethany
    Sleep Walk - 1999 4788 w/330 Cummins
    New to us in October 2017
    Moored in Anacortes, WA

Sold: 1994 2855 Rosalita 7.4L B2 2013-2017

Pretty sure there are more than a few threads about this and someone had a winch that fit. You might need different search terms.
    Future 4788 Owner
    Charleston, S.C.

Comment

Chris
      We had ours repaired at North Harbor Diesel In Anacortes two years ago
      I see you are located there.I would suggest you contact them .Ask them
      to look at file for "Ohship" .It will have replacement info

Comment

Originally posted by sockeye View Post
        Chris
        We had ours repaired at North Harbor Diesel In Anacortes two years ago
        I see you are located there.I would suggest you contact them .Ask them
        to look at file for "Ohship" .It will have replacement info
        Also they can look at the file for “Lisas Way” as they replaced our winch as well

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

I had to replace our rule this summer and recently posted what I did to modify the crane so I could install a different winch inside the crane body -- mine was a Pacific Fabrication Crane installed by Boaters discount a Center while back where they mounted the rule winch upside down. I could not find a replacement, especially one rated as a hoist (or a winch with a mechanical brake) that could be mounted in the space as is or upside down.

I have seen a lot of folks with older cranes just mount a new hoist or winch on top of the old crane and redo the pulley at the end so the wire rope is on top instead of in the crane.

Send me a PM if you you would like more info.

--Jim
          Althea -- 2000 3988 270 Cummins
          Semiahmoo, WA

Comment

I just removed my Rule winch from my 2007. It worked but strained with my #850 Zodiac. Seemed it was getting worse with each use. The steel cable is in excellent condition, no burrs, but I want to replace it with 3/8 Amsteel for my perceived safety reasons.

I am in SoCal. Is there a replacement I can buy? Suggestions on where I can ship it to be rebuilt? Suggestions on marine winch companies in SoCal? Should I try an Alternator - Starter rebuild shop?

1st choice. All new.
            2nd choice. Total marine rebuild with Amsteel conversion.
            3rd choice. Straight winch rebuild.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
            Lee
            2007 Meridian 490
            2007 Meridian 368
            1996 2855 Cierra
            1978 Caribbean 26'
            Oceanside, CA

Comment

Is the search function not working on this site? knothome4788 started a great thread on rebuilding a rule winch about a month ago...It seems as though they can be rebuilt at rulewinchparts.com
              84-38,,86-38,,89-45,,97-47,,99-47,,01-47,,05-540,, 04-411 meridian and 11 others,, all gone ,,now 04 -490 ,,sidney,,vancouver island.

Comment

Originally posted by dyoung View Post
                Is the search function not working on this site? knothome4788 started a great thread on rebuilding a rule winch about a month ago...It seems as though they can be rebuilt at rulewinchparts.com
                Thanks. Searching on the mobile version is a bit tricky for me, but I do remember seeing that thread.
                Lee
                2007 Meridian 490
                2007 Meridian 368
                1996 2855 Cierra
                1978 Caribbean 26'
                Oceanside, CA

Comment

The rulewinch guys aren’t the low bidder, and the total cost of about $600 including shipping wasn’t inexpensive, but now I have what is essentially a new winch and not a Harbor Freight bargain special (which might work fine on a truck but we’re in a highly corrosive environment). Good value for money IMO.
                  Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                  Sammamish WA
                  1998 4788 (April 2018)
                  ”Knot Home”

Comment

I did try searching and found the rulewinchparts site as well as the pointer to North Harbor Diesel (two calls into them and no follow up on their end). I was specifically asking if anyone had a direct replacement identified, which I hadn't seen any reference to in any of my search results... but I can go back and get even more creative with my search terms.

This thread was fairly silent until yesterday and based on that, I ordered a replacement motor (which includes the brake assembly) from rulewinchparts. It should plug right back into my gearbox and get me back in business.

I will poke around to see if anyone has a direct replacement identified, but if the new motor lasts as long as the prior, it will likely be someone else's issue to address.
                    Chris & Bethany
                    Moored in Anacortes, WA

Comment

Just to close this thread up, new motor arrived from rulewinchparts.com and swapped in without issue.

In another thread I came across, it was correctly shared that the only "wear" item in the brake is the spring, which typically will break off a tab at the end of its coil which locks it up. A suggestion was removal of that tab in case of failure will allow the winch to operate but without a functional brake. The poster tried this and the winch would unwind at the normal (powered) descent rate if there was no power applied and would still allow retrieval when powered. This is certainly a fall-back plan but not appropriate for my case (boat is in charter so I need it to work).

Chris
                      Chris & Bethany
                      Moored in Anacortes, WA

Comment

Based on this thread, I sent my winch to RuleWinchParts. They were very responsive via email and sent photos of the damaged magnets. It came back quickly and under budget. I would highly recommend them.
                        Lee
                        2007 Meridian 490
                        2007 Meridian 368
                        1996 2855 Cierra
                        1978 Caribbean 26'
                        Oceanside, CA

Comment

On my 4588 the crane had been replaced with one built here in Seattle, can't remember the companies name. But the bolt pattern matches perfectly to the Bandland winches that Harbor Freight sell. Specifically the 3500lb winch. This one has the brake so it will hold the load at what ever point you stop the spool. They sell for $130. I have spoke to several people that have this brand on there boat, ATV and trucks and they have nothing but good things to say about them. I will replacing mine with one of these in the spring.

Amazing deals on this 3500Lb Atv/Utility Electric Winch at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.
                          Patrick and Patti
                          4588 Pilothouse 1991
                          12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                          M/V "Paloma"
                          MMSI # 338142921

Comment

When our rule winch locked up (would go up but only a couple inches down), they removed the broken piece and the brake still works.
                            1997 4788 with Cummins 5.9 (315 hp)
                            12 ft Rendova with 40 hp Merc 4 cycle
                            Pacific NW

Comment

Working...
                            X