Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Pilothouse Roof

Couple of quick questions:
    I’m 6’3 and currently go about 270. A lot of that is stainless steel and various titanium alloys and a micro-computer (I may need zincs- so many dissimilar metals in an electrolyte solution) but it leaves me very uncoordinated and unbalanced.
    With enough backing surrounding the bolt holes is the roof over the pilot house to fly ridge ladder strong enough to support my weight if I were to install a grab bar there?
    And- is the pilot house roof in general strong enough to support my weight? How do guys my size wash and wax it?
    Thanks in advance for withholding the fat jokes...
    Drew Haas
    1998 4788 "Painkiller"

Hi Drew,

Your question has me confused. The pilothouse is the enclosed driving position three stairs up from the salon and four stairs down from the flybridge. There is no ladder anywhere near the pilothouse. There is a ladder in the aft cockpit that goes up along the outside of the salon rear wall on the starboard side of the boat.

Assuming you are talking about climbing out onto the pilothouse roof from the flybridge, there is no way I would recommend that for a large man whose body has already been repaired in numerous different places. That's why God invented the telephone and boat cleaning people. Use the telephone to call one of them and let them get the pilothouse roof clean for you. Have them do it twice a year and use a hose and a brush on an extension to clean off the occasional bird poop.

I'm smaller than you and don't have any replacement parts installed on my body and I gave up cleaning gutters and elevated surfaces a long time ago. :-)

Comment

Okay- I see your point. It should probably be called stairs up to the flybridge. And I completely agree with you about the wisdom of having others do it. It just really gnaws at me to pay others to assume risk
      Drew Haas
      1998 4788 "Painkiller"

Comment

To answer your question regarding supporting your weight. I am 280 there abouts in weight. I stand on the PH roof once a year to clean the winters buildup off. The roof is strong enough to handle you. I access by putting a step stool nest to the flybridge helm, stepping up on to the dash and over the windscreen. Not a great or easy way to get there but it works. I have contemplated installing a ladder on the side of the PH to make access easier but since I only access once a year, didn't feel the headache was worth it.
        Patrick and Patti
        4588 Pilothouse 1991
        12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
        M/V "Paloma"
        MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Drew, I agree with you about calling, and paying, someone else to do something you’ve done perfectly well forever. It’s incredibly upsetting to me. I want to use that money to buy other stuff for the boat.
          The Admiral has me darn near in the brig I’m so restricted. I’m going to have some more metal for TSA to closely examin later this month. My balance is the pits too. We are hoping it’s because of a cervical disc bulging into the spinal column, the three vertebrae below that point looking like my five year old grandson stacked them and, of course there’s more, the column is full of arthritis so it’s pinching and poking the spinal cord. I everything goes as hoped, I can get rid of the cane, dye my hair, and buy a sports car. Well, one of those anyway.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

• Papa_Charlie
            Papa_Charlie commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the part about getting older that drives me nuts, just when we are finally financially able and know how to live, life and the years get in our way. I finally understand that saying, “Youth is the most precious thing in life; it is too bad it has to be wasted on young folks.”.

Hi Drew
          Yes the Pilot House roof will support your weight ( I'am not telling how I know) I get up their every time I wash the boat.I go up from pilot house window,one foot very bottom of corner metal edge,left hand at base of spotlight,right hand on slop of roof and pull myself up,going down I sit on edge of roof slid off right foot hits same window frame corner and voila i'am down....or go up and over fly bridge dash...just don't brake the Venturi cannot get them anymore.....Good luck..Brad
          Brad & Sharon
          Lady Jake
          1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
          LaConner,Wa. (summer)
          2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
          kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
            Papa Charlie you are so right in that youth is wasted on the young. Pete- I’ve worked with, and been worked on, by some of the best Neurosurgeons in the Seattle area. PM me if you need/want a referral for a second opinion.
            Drew Haas
            1998 4788 "Painkiller"

Comment

Working...
            X