Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a few water leaks kick my ass . 1- mid would take on water over 8 knts , traced the leak to coming out a screw hole behind the icemaker . I glued a hose to the inside of the hull and poured dye and water in it , I had to hook up a vac to the hose and push it into the hull and found the dye and water leaking out of my anchor locker clamshell. They did not seal up the hole after drilling it when built . At 10 mph the water was pushed right up into that clam shell and in between the 2 hull layers traveling 18' back till it found a hole. Cheap fix , but many hours .
    2- Water in port galley bottom shelf filling cups n bowls . Found pilot house windows leaking at the back corner . Resealed . Easy fix
    3- Water in salon lights and headliner wet . Found water coming from very poorly sealed deck drains on the fly Bridge . ( Had to remove the Bench and the VHF cabinet and interior panels to reseal) PAIN IN THE A***** to reseal . 1999 4788

Comment

Moderators, please add this thread 47/49 leaks sticky.
      thanks!
      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
      MV Kia Orana
      Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
        I just noticed the pics never posted?
        Wow!!! no wonder they leak.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

This should get turned into a nice diagram with links on the drawings.. Click where you have a leak and it will list the reasons found for said leak.. Similar to webMD

Comment

Originally posted by Tortuga View Post
            I had a few water leaks kick my ass . 1- mid would take on water over 8 knts , traced the leak to coming out a screw hole behind the icemaker . I glued a hose to the inside of the hull and poured dye and water in it , I had to hook up a vac to the hose and push it into the hull and found the dye and water leaking out of my anchor locker clamshell. They did not seal up the hole after drilling it when built . At 10 mph the water was pushed right up into that clam shell and in between the 2 hull layers traveling 18' back till it found a hole. Cheap fix , but many hours
            curious about this... Up until we started or voyage south, or v berth closets have mostly been dry aside from some heavy rain.. Every time we stop, the closets are wet and the floors in front of each are soaking wet.. Dry them out, next stop, soaked again..

Comment

• Woodsea
              Woodsea commented
              Editing a comment
              This sounds like the porthole leak we had. See my post above on remedy.

Drip rail on pilot house roof, apparently, when the screws (attach the drip rail to the roof) were installed, sealant not used..?
            2005 Meridian 490
            Cummins 330 turbo

Comment

With the crazy rains we have had recently we discovered a slew of new leaks.

1. Main Salon - Starboard Valence
              Was caused by three things. Cracked starboard flybridge drain through-hull right by the exterior stairs. The access panel behind the flybridge galley was leaking as well as the connections where the power and water cables/pipes go through the wall behind the flybridge galley. The aft flybridge bolt that bolts down the arch just above the flybridge galley access plate. We had to disassemble and remove the starboard valence completely to find these

2. Midship Bed
              The base of the bed was soaked. The ingress was the port rub rail near the office stateroom. We pulled the rub rail off and rebed it. There was also some leakage around the porthole windows into the office stateroom. We caulked all around those and it seemed to solve the issue.

3. Main Salon - Port Valence
              This was harder to find. We believe it was coming from the aluminum gutters around the radar arch. We basically caulked and rebed everything possible around the arch and it solved the leak.

There leakage around the base of the pilothouse windshield that we have not resolved yet. Also, in the main salon, most of the aft windows have a minor leak. Everything needs to be resealed as the gasket has shrunk around these areas. Our guys is suggesting we pull the gasket and just replace with black sikaflex.

This winter we will be caulking and rebidding the starboard rub rail or good measure.

Comment

New to the site. I’ve got a significant topside leak on the starboard side in the salon. Water dripping from light fixtures and water stains on the valance. I’ve traced it to either the starboard side scupper at the forward corner of the upper bridge or the starboard settee where it screws to the deck of the upper bridge. Either way I think I need to remove the starboard side settee to access the problem. Does anybody know the best way to remove that big settee once I get the screws out? It appears to be very firmly attached with something like 5200.

Steve
                Blonde Voyage II
                2000 4788

Comment

• Tortuga
                  Tortuga commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have removed mine , I found the drain was not sealed good from the factory and had to remove the interior panels also to remove it and reseal it . I also found that they used plastic and 1 of mine was cracked so I replaced all with stainless . Are you in Alamitos ? I think you are on my Dock .

Use VHB tape to reseal the plexi to frame- it's a double-sided 3M product they typically use to secure body parts like flares etc on cars. I also found big gaps between porthole frame and hull- looked liked they used a chain saw to cut the opening. I'm hoping I've managed to seal well enough to withstand hull flexing in heavy seas. We'll find out over time, but so far so good on the one I've redone. I'll get to a couple of others if the first holds up.
                1988- 3288, 1994- 3288, now Soul Asset: 2001- 3788 w/330s

Comment

To all with 4788 leaks...
                  i have owned our 1998 4788 since new. Have fought several leaks in that time. Would be happy to respond to anyone still fighting specific leaks as I might have ‘been there-done that’.
                  PS: the most interesting was a scupper drain on command bridge!

Comment

Originally posted by Luludog16 View Post
                    New to the site. I’ve got a significant topside leak on the starboard side in the salon. Water dripping from light fixtures and water stains on the valance. I’ve traced it to either the starboard side scupper at the forward corner of the upper bridge or the starboard settee where it screws to the deck of the upper bridge. Either way I think I need to remove the starboard side settee to access the problem. Does anybody know the best way to remove that big settee once I get the screws out? It appears to be very firmly attached with something like 5200.

Steve
                    Blonde Voyage II
                    2000 4788
                    Check to make sure your hatch at the base of the radar arch is sealed properly. Mine wasn't and I had similar symptoms to those you describe. Pulled it off and 5200'd it to the deck structure.

Chris
                    Chris & Bethany
                    Sleep Walk - 1999 4788 w/330 Cummins
                    New to us in October 2017
                    Moored in Anacortes, WA

Sold: 1994 2855 Rosalita 7.4L B2 2013-2017

Comment

This is an amazing thread. Has anyone experienced water leaking through the forward light on the starboard side of the salon? We just had a big rain blow through and found water in the light fixtures of the three forward lights on the starboard side with the most forward light being the worst offender. I’ve resealed the first few screws on the exterior drip rail and will see if this repairs the problem. Seems to happen only in a very heavy rain.

if this is the forward starboard flybridge scupper, how do I get at it?

Thanks in advance.
                      Evan
                      2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
                      League City, TX

Comment

Working...
                      X