Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I “thought” that my leak was somehow based on going to sea.

I was wrong. My leak actually turned out to be the rail base just above the forward heaf porthole.

I found it during the monsoon rain that we had last week.

Thats not to say that I do not find that I still have a leak in heavy seas, but that one is now cured.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Kevin,
      yours was leaking under the rub rail? Did you just caulk the underside joint?
      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
      MV Kia Orana
      Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
        Kevin,
        yours was leaking under the rub rail? Did you just caulk the underside joint?
        Mine was leaking through the railing base. I removed the bolts, cleaned everything up, and 5200’d the bolts

I’ve actually had to do this to pretty much every railing base on the bow rail.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Turns out mine was leaking in two places. The first I've gotten- the portlight lens is held into the frame by double-sided tape...so sliding a scraper blade slowly between the lens and frame let me pry it apart. One of my friends had taken his into a glass shop and they told him the frame was pressed together and the lens couldn't be removed- we now know that's not true. Now I'm still wondering if I can simply remove the bolts from the frame in order to recaulk the outer frame without whatever holds the bolts falling down inside. Anyone had them apart/
          1988- 3288, 1994- 3288, now Soul Asset: 2001- 3788 w/330s

Comment

This thread is going to help a lot of boaters in the years to come.
            2001 Bayliner 4788
            Underhulls
            Bow & Stern Thrusters
            330 Cummins
            Langley British Columbia

Comment

Not really a "leak"...

SYMPTOM

Master Stateroom mattress bottom/wet after not being on the boat for a month during the winter.

FIX

$10 fan always on in MS. Blocked the mattress up a few inches off the base with small boxes when we went back home. The air circulation ended that problem.

Not really "fixed"...

SYMPTOM

Gangway carpet soaked when sink/tub sump box pump fails.

FIX

$10 9v water alarm from Amazon. The pump has failed twice since, but everyone aboard knows and reacts instantly to mitigate damage. No more wet carpet. (I put these alarms in a few other places too...)
              Lee
              2007 Meridian 490
              2007 Meridian 368
              1996 2855 Cierra
              1978 Caribbean 26'
              Oceanside, CA

Comment

• ksanders
                ksanders commented
                Editing a comment
                I REALLY like the water alarm! that little box is a complete PITA when it fails

• Knothome4788
                Knothome4788 commented
                Editing a comment
                I bought a spare sump for just this reason. Not too spendy. Can you post a link to the Amazon alarm page?

• MerlinV
                MerlinV commented
                Editing a comment
                The alarm is a good idea, but why not just add a 1/2" through-hull fitting on the upper part of the plastic box and a lightweight hose down to the bilge. I guarantee no more wet carpets.

Here's a picture of the shower sump box overflow that we installed on our 490
              Rob
              Bayliner 5788
              'Merlin V'
              Vancouver BC

Comment

• ksanders
                ksanders commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a Great idea!

• MalNSF
                MalNSF commented
                Editing a comment
                We had our pump fail last week. Yuck. I love your solution. Super easy. New project for next weekend!

KnotHome4788: I found similar 9v water alarms on Ebay. I used velcro to hold it to the side of the sump box. I also bought a few more for bilge areas & under sinks. Cheap, simple, effective backup alarm to warn you of a water leak or excessive moisture anywhere on the boat.
              1 x Water Overloop Leakage Alarm. Power source: DC9V battery. Voice: more than 120DB. Alarm must be dried on the induction film, or there is water on the surface, open the switch will alarm again. Sensitive induction, a drop of water alarm. | eBay!
              Lee
              2007 Meridian 490
              2007 Meridian 368
              1996 2855 Cierra
              1978 Caribbean 26'
              Oceanside, CA

Comment

Thanks!
                Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                Sammamish WA
                1998 4788 (April 2018)
                ”Knot Home”

Comment

SYMPTOM

Water visible on the post side ceiling valence in the aft part of the salon and water driping from aft salon light fixtures

FIX

My cause for my version of this issue was a poorly sealed access hatch to flybridge wall below the radar arch interface. This was way too obvious for it to be the issue and I spent WAY too much time doing other things first- like rebedding the davit base and chasing gaps in the radar arch itself. I replaced the hatch just for good measure and used 5200 to seal it in. Problem solved. I have another one for the STBD side but haven't wanted to open that can of worms yet as it's not leaking.
                  Chris & Bethany
                  Sleep Walk - 1999 4788 w/330 Cummins
                  New to us in October 2017
                  Moored in Anacortes, WA

Sold: 1994 2855 Rosalita 7.4L B2 2013-2017

Comment

• MalNSF
                    MalNSF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Our starboard side was the cause of a recent leak. The guy helping us mentioned the plastic was brittle. We replaced with new access plates and rebed both for good measure. To access the starboard one, you have to unbold the flybridge galley and pull it out so you can even get to the access panel.

Here's what I have learned regarding the leaking portholes:
                  The plexiglass to frame seal is marginal at best. Every one on our boat is loose. Only the front four leaked while we were in pounding seas however. We removed the plexiglass, cleaned with rubbing alcohol, roughed up with sand paper, masked and resiliconed them in place with 100% silicone.
                  The chisel points need to be ground down so they don’t press against the plexiglass forcing it out of the frame.
                  The joint at the top of the outter frame must be sealed. We used some really heavy and sticky aluminum tape. We will see how it holds up. So far it has done remarkably well.
                  The inner frame needs to be removed, the area underneath cleaned up and a healthy bead of 4200 squirted into the joint. There actually was daylight visible at the joint between the frame and the hull! See pic attached.
                  Last edited by Woodsea; 10-12-2018, 11:41 PM. Reason: Incomplete
                  MV Kia Orana
                  Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
                    Here's what I have learned regarding the leaking portholes:
                    The plexiglass to frame seal is marginal at best. Every one on our boat is loose. Only the front four leaked while we were in pounding seas however. We removed the plexiglass, cleaned with rubbing alcohol, roughed up with sand paper, masked and resiliconed them in place with 100% silicone.
                    The chisel points need to be ground down so they don’t press against the plexiglass forcing it out of the frame.
                    The joint at the top of the outter frame must be sealed. We used some really heavy and sticky aluminum tape. We will see how it holds up. So far it has done remarkably well.
                    The inner frame needs to be removed, the area underneath cleaned up and a healthy bead of 4200 squirted into the joint. There actually was daylight visible at the joint between the frame and the hull! See pic attached.
                    I like that you were able to do this from the inside it seems. Thanks!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Hopefully you’ve permanently solved the problem!
                      Jim Gandee
                      1989 3888
                      Hino 175's
                      Fire Escape
                      [email protected]

Comment

I just noticed the pics never posted?
                        MV Kia Orana
                        Currently Alameda CA

Comment

I learned about the interior fix from Mike on Plum Crazy. I think he did all 11 of his ports. He regularly ventures out in rougher waters and he said it fixed his port leaks.
                          MV Kia Orana
                          Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Working...
                          X