4788 Water tank gauge sending unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Water tank gauge sending unit

Does anybody know where to find a replacement for the water tank gauge sending unit for a 2000 4788?

I used a WEMA 8” for the aft tank and a WEMA 17” for the foreward tank

http://www.wemausa.com/sensors/level...l#.W5SOvhqIahA

The foreward one was easy peasy.

I had to pretty much take apart my entire bed to get to the aft one

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Thanks, Kevin. Not sure that will work as I think the original was a 6 hole pattern and it looks like the flange is glued down. Was hoping to match the original as it looks like the center piece is removable without disturbing the flange.

Comment

I used a WEMA 10" in the aft tank and a WEMA 17'" in the forward tank. They screwed straight in as the bolt pattern was the same as the original senders. If in doubt measure! I did not have to take the bed apart to fit them, but the aft one was a mission! Let's just lets say it was not pleasant stuffing yourself, head down, into a tiny compartment with a torch in one hand and a screwdriver in the other!
        Ken

'94 4788 - "Crystal Voyager "

If you can dream it, you can do it

Comment

Do the WEMA units use the original wiring or did you have to run new wires to the gauge?

Comment

wema is same wiring...and they make different mount options. Order direct from them as they size to the tank (you measure the depth of the tank and they subtract from that for the sender. Great senders.
            Mark
            USCG OUPV
            1990 4588
            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Yes, confirming same wiring on mine too.
              Ken

'94 4788 - "Crystal Voyager "

If you can dream it, you can do it

Comment

Thanks, everyone, appreciate the input. Can I use the same gauge on the electrical panel or do I need to change that too?

Comment

Same gauge, and the WEMA unit worked perfect, the screw holes aligned properly, and it even came with a new gasket

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Couple of more quick questions. When I removed the old sender, the machine screws had apparently been glued in as there was a sticky residue on all of them. Is that necessary and if so, what glue should I use? Also a couple of you indicated you used 17" senders but my tank measures 21" to the bottom of the flange and the overall length of the sender I took out is 20" to the bottom of the flange. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
                      Couple of more quick questions. When I removed the old sender, the machine screws had apparently been glued in as there was a sticky residue on all of them. Is that necessary and if so, what glue should I use? Also a couple of you indicated you used 17" senders but my tank measures 21" to the bottom of the flange and the overall length of the sender I took out is 20" to the bottom of the flange. Any thoughts?
                      Sure, I bought a 17” sender and it reads empty when there is still 4” of water in the tank I bought mine based on someone here on the BOC, but of course did not verify the tank depth.

WEMA suggests that you buy a meter 1” shorter than your tank..

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Thanks, Kevin, glad I asked. Did you use any kind of glue when screwing the sender to the tank? The screws I took out all had a sticky residue on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
                          Thanks, Kevin, glad I asked. Did you use any kind of glue when screwing the sender to the tank? The screws I took out all had a sticky residue on them.
                          I used some marine silicone just as a sealant. Really just to hold the rubber or cork gasket in place while I put it in

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

On screws I suggest you use anti-size as our tanks are aluminium and screws are not, so this helps get them back out years later.
                            Mark
                            USCG OUPV
                            1990 4588
                            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

That's interesting, Mark, as the 2000 4788 has plastic tanks. Kevin, the glue or sealant used on mine wasn't silicone as it remained pliable and sticky--didn't set up like silicone does. The material is a dark color and feels like contact cement. Not sure it's even necessary but will probably follow your suggestion and use a little silicone. Thanks for the input everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X