No announcement yet.

Protecting Non-Skid Surfaces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried a product made by Aurora Marine. They make all kinds of cleaning products for boats. They are not cheap. They have a product that it designed to protect non skid without becoming slippery. It’s called Sure Step. They make a kit that provides various cleaners and two containers of sure step. It comes as a thick liquid ( like pudding) and it should be applied with a foam roller. There is a how to video on their site. It’s a bit of work to apply two coats and buff both coats but it does work well. I can now rinse off the non skid with just water and the dirt comes off without soap. It was not as shiny on my 3870 non skid as the video shows but it worked better for me then Woody Wax which is also expensive.
    The only thing that would have worked better is if I could have talked my wife into putting the Sure Step on.
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
    34' Tollycraft- sold
    88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Second update:
      The non-skid was cleaned with Interlux Heavy Duty Stain remover (no longer available in Canada), then power washed with a wide tip nozzle. There were a couple of deep stains where nothing seemed to work, so as a last resort I used acetone which did the job.

To protect the surface, I liked the sound of Woody Wax, but as there are no local sources, I wetted the surfaces again and used Starbrite Non-skid Deck Cleaner with PTEF. The end result looks good, but I'm not sure of how much protection I'll have for the long term.
      Rob
      Bayliner 5788
      'Merlin V'
      Vancouver BC

Comment

Working...
      X