Protecting Non-Skid Surfaces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting Non-Skid Surfaces

After a busy Summer on our 5788, the non-skid surfaces needed some serious cleaning, particularly after the amount of smoke and ash in the air in the PNW this year.
    Between fiberglass cleaner and a power washer, the decks are now nice and clean, and it leads me to ask what others are doing to keep the non-skid surfaces protected and looking good.
    All ideas are welcome.
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

Woody wax. http://www.woody-wax.com/fiberglass-...d-deck-wax.php
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I really like this stuff for cleaning and protecting my non skid areas

http://www.starbrite.com/item/non-sk...aner-with-ptef

Ron
      1989 3218
      1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
      2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Bon Ami

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post
          Yes - great product, use very little and follow instructions.
          Northport NY

Comment

Woody wax looks good had not heard of that but it looks like it’s for protecting. Other than the starbrite option above what do folks use to clean. Mine is similar. Little black bits ingrained in the non skid. Scrubbing brush with barkeepers works but man is it hard work. Haven’t tried the power washer option yet. My swimstep is even worse kind of yellowy discolored and nothing seems to work.
            BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
            5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
            Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

• MerlinV
              MerlinV commented
              Editing a comment
              The yellowing of the swim step is usually from salt water washing over it . I've had great success in deep cleaning this area with Barkeepers Friend, not the powder but the spray-on foamy sort which is really inexpensive. Barkeepers contains a small amount of oxalic acid which rapidly gets fiberglass white again, which is one of the main ingredients in FSR, but Barkeepers is a fraction of the cost.

Andy on boatworkstoday.com suggests and demonstrates using a nylon brush head on a rotary buffer and compound. I tried it on a small section and it works without a huge amount of effort. It is still a slow go.
            Tony Bacon,
            Washougal, WA
            Caspian
            1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

Regarding cleaning those tiny black spots

Got this from family on fathers day, takes all those little black spots away. Cool thing is it is battery operated and can suck from the lake or a bucket. I happen use my washdown hose. Added a couple of extra aftermarket high capacity batteries and a quick charger. This is not a pressure washer, kinda midway between a hose and pressure washer, 320 psi maximum. https://www.worx.com/hydroshot-porta...ner-wg629.html
              Cheers, Hans
              2007 Carver 41 CMY
              Twin Volvo D6-370
              Montreal, Canada
              Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I guess I should clarify my original post - The non-skid is now really clean, and I'm looking for something to protect it and keep it that way.

I know that all kinds of products can be hand or buffer applied, and I was being lazy in the hope that there's an easier way as I have lots of non-skid area to protect.
                Rob
                Bayliner 5788
                'Merlin V'
                Vancouver BC

Comment

Originally posted by simbad View Post
                  My swimstep is even worse kind of yellowy discolored and nothing seems to work.
                  For the worst rust and yellowy stains, use industrial toilet bowl cleaner. Have to buy it at industrial janitorial supply stores. Spray on and hose it off well- it contains hydrochloric acid. Rust stains disappear
                  1988- 3288, 1994- 3288, now 2001- 3788

Comment

They make products that claim to protect them after cleaning, but I would say for non skid that still has significant relief, not old worn out surfaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bev7snuRRY

Comment

Toilet bowl cleaner from Big Lots or the dollar store works great. Brush on lightly and watch the yellow disappear. Rinse well. Works well on the bow discoloration as well but you have to reapply wax.
                      "Impasse". 2001 3988
                      Cummins 330's
                      Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Comment

Rob, the foredeck of my 38 is almost all non skid. I wax it like the rest of the boat. It’s a bit more difficult to remove the wax from the depressed areas but certainly not impossible, especially with a wool pad on a buffer. Many people were aghast that I would wax the non skid for fear of slippage but I haven’t found that to be the case. YMMV.
                        Jim Gandee
                        1989 3888
                        Hino 175's
                        Fire Escape
                        Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Originally posted by MerlinV View Post
                          I guess I should clarify my original post - The non-skid is now really clean, and I'm looking for something to protect it and keep it that way.

I know that all kinds of products can be hand or buffer applied, and I was being lazy in the hope that there's an easier way as I have lots of non-skid area to protect.
                          We generally avoid and/or greatly limit the use of acids and bleaches on the deck and hull. I you do use them please note the affects they have on aluminum and SS as well as the hull.
                          On occasions where a medium brush was not sufficient we found that a lower powered electric power washer with a wider tip was more than enough to clean up the harder more fixed black spots.
                          Note - avoiding all deck fittings, trim, canvas, etc while in use.
                          Northport NY

Comment

+1 starbrite non skid.

Leaves a a coating lasts at least a year.
                            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                            X