Low fresh water pressure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low fresh water pressure

I have a 32xx and last year I replaced the fresh water pump and it has been working great until today. The water pressure was very low. I thought I may have been low or out of water so I added fresh water to the tank however it only seemed to help a little. When I turn the switch on in the galley I can hear the pump going however did not seem to build enough pressure to stop running. I tried turning in the switch in the stateroom and after a minute or so the pump turned off after building enough pressure. When I turned the faucet on the water pressure seemed normal but quickly lost pressure. Any ideas? Maybe air in the lines? I wouldn’t think it would be a leak because the pump turned off when I turned the switch on in the stateroom.

Could be a blockage between the tank and your pump.
    You may have a basic filter in the line before the pump that could be blocked.
    I'm not quite sure how the 32xx is set up but if the tank is full I would expect a reasonable natural flow to come out of the feed pipe from the tank at the input side of the pump (turn pump off).
    If there is a filter before the pump you will be able to check the natural feed flow when you take ithe filter apart for cleaning. If there is no filter just try disconnecting the feed pipe at the pump and check flow.
    Calcium deposits and debris in the water tank can block the feed pipe. Back flushing this pipe would clear it if you need to clear it.
    Ian & Emma
    MV "LaPaloma"
    1990 4588
    Bay of Islands
    New Zealand

Comment

What nz4588 said.
      Not mihht not be obvious but if you take he small clear looking filter of before the pump (if you have one) it normally has a small gauze in it that can get easily gummed up with calcium and other debris. Pop it out clean it and voila.
      I had the same on a previous boat and tried lots of things before I found that little screen and it worked a treat.
      BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
      5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
      Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

thank you for the info. I seemed to remember seeing a small filter next to the pump when I was in the cave. It had a plastic or glass top. Any ideas how they come apart to clean?

Comment

I am not a fan of the little filters that come with the potable water pumps.

Not installing or removing the filter won’t hurt anything as long as your water source is grit free.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Hi Brian
            that filter has a clear plastic to which screws on/off..screen mesh just rinse it off...Good luck ...Brad
            Brad & Sharon
            Lady Jake
            1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
            LaConner,Wa. (summer)
            2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
            kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Also have a look at the little screen right on the faucet. That one tripped me up a couple of times.
              2002 2859 "Liquid Therapy"
              Moored at Reed Point Marina in Port Moody BC

Comment

Okay, this is a little embarrassing to admit but I had the same problem once. Sounded and acted just like being out of water. Went to fill the tank and it hardly took any water. Figured the pump was bad and replaced it. Still no pressure. Now the embarrassing part. I found I had filled the holding tank by mistake. In my defense I think the reason I was confused is because after installing a purasan I no longer use my holding tank for waste. Use it as ballast instead and the last time I our fresh water in was through the holding tank fitting. Anyway, something to consider.
                Tony Bacon,
                Washougal, WA
                Caspian
                1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

Check your tank vent. Does your tank burp through the fill line when filling. I thought I had a bad tank because I would put the 80 gallons in and get only a fraction out. Open your fill cap and try your Pump to verify.

Comment

If all that doesn't work, could be electrical leads(s)- corrosion might be affecting their ability to carry current. Test the pump with direct leads and see if it runs faster.
                    1988- 3288, 1994- 3288, now 2001- 3788

Comment

I checked the filter this last weekend at It was clean yet still low pressure. I notice that the pump primes the output side fully so when I turn the faucet on it get full pressure however the pressure decreases as if the water is not coming into the pump fast enough to keep up. I did fill the water tank at the water started to overflow out the fill cap. I am not sure if the 32XX has a vent for the water tank. Regardless though I tested the system with the fill cap off and still had the same issue. I am wondering if there could be a clog between the tank and the filter. Any ideas on how to clean this out? could I blow air down the line from removing the hose at the filter? Is there a check valve between the tank and the pump that would prevent this?

Comment

Brian, do you have an aluminum tank? The one in our 3818 has started to provide us with little tan colored pebbles that mostly get caught by the screen filter. There’s enough fine grit in the water after the pump to clog a water filter in a few days. Needless to say we don’t drink the water. Yeah, I know, time to replace the tank. When the screen filter and everything after is cleared, I disconnect the tubing at the tank and let a pint or two run free. My thinking is that a bunch of the pebbles get caught in the tank outlet restricting the water flow. Opening the connection helps for a while, but it does build up again.
                        The Admiral isn’t thrilled and noted our previous boat never had this problem. I explained that it had a plastic tank and this tank is aluminum and probably on its last legs before it starts leaking. “And how much is THAT going to cost?” I told her I’m studying the options but most of the posts addressing the how to’s and what to buy have gone away.
                        P/C Pete
                        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                        MMSI 367770440
                        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
                          Brian, do you have an aluminum tank? The one in our 3818 has started to provide us with little tan colored pebbles that mostly get caught by the screen filter. There’s enough fine grit in the water after the pump to clog a water filter in a few days. Needless to say we don’t drink the water. Yeah, I know, time to replace the tank. When the screen filter and everything after is cleared, I disconnect the tubing at the tank and let a pint or two run free. My thinking is that a bunch of the pebbles get caught in the tank outlet restricting the water flow. Opening the connection helps for a while, but it does build up again.
                          The Admiral isn’t thrilled and noted our previous boat never had this problem. I explained that it had a plastic tank and this tank is aluminum and probably on its last legs before it starts leaking. “And how much is THAT going to cost?” I told her I’m studying the options but most of the posts addressing the how to’s and what to buy have gone away.
                          Thank you. I need to figure out where the hose disconnects on a 3270 as my tank is aluminum as well. I wonder if shooting air down the hose would clear the tank where it meets the hose if it is a similar problem

Comment

Brian,
                            it may be a good idea to connect a short section of hose to your inlet at the filter and put the hose in a 5 gallon bucket of water. If everything operates normally you will know that the issue is with the tank or water supply line . But if there is no change then I would suspect a possible pump issue.
                            Gibraltar, Mi.
                            1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
                            34' Tollycraft- sold
                            88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
                            14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

that's a good idea. Anyone know the size of the hose so I can buy one ahead of time?

Comment

Working...
                              X