Bilge cleaning on a 3288

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilge cleaning on a 3288

I have some dried on oil and other gunk in the bilge from a previous owner and was all set to go clean it out today. Picked up a bunch of materials from the dollar store to scrub it down (towels, some scrub brushes, etc.) clean it out but after opening the hatch and removing the access bay doors... I couldn't get in there. I'm not a big guy but I couldn't for the life of me get in there so that I could actually clean it out. There is oil in there so I don't want to just dump bilge cleaner in there and the pump it out

So, my question is, how do other 3288 owners do it? How do you clean your bilge when the access is so limited?

Thanks.
    Minnesota
    1989 Bayliner 3288
    First boat over 30'

I got some oil-absorbing pads and a “reacher grabber” to soak up the oil. I bought a “bucket head” ($20) and a bucket from Home Depot to suck out the rest of the gunk. Wiped with shop towels and the reacher. The bilge is definitely not sterile, but it’s a lot better than before.
    Dick
    Cheers
    Oceanside
    1987 3218 w/ 150 Hinos

Comment

MPeters - can you please post a picture of your bilge. I have 1999 4087 and I actually R/R the 2x4 with a removable 2x4 so i can access the center bilge are and perform some simple tasks.

Comment

https://www.starmarinedepot.com/boat...CABEgIb-PD_BwE

There are products that claim to be biodegradable, heck Dawn dish detergent makes that claim. Oil just seems to live forever in a bilge but the above advice is about the best, no one wants the pump an oil slick into the marina or whatever.

I have used pressure washer sparingly to break up the oil then oil pads finally a hand pump. You are not supposed to use a shop vac on bilge water, I know people do it.

Comment

I just use a biodegradable de-greaser, super clean available at any home hardware. Works great, Here's the pictures.

This stuff https://superclean.com/products/
          1987 3270 135-Hino
          Foxtrap, Newfoundland

Comment

• Trent111
            Trent111 commented
            Editing a comment
            I strive to have my engine room look as good as yours does. Any tips on cleaning them? the previous owner of mine spilled engine oil or something in there because everywhere is coated in black. It's going to be a multi day project to get mine looking as good as yours.

• mpeters88
            mpeters88 commented
            Editing a comment
            wow... this is so far from what mine looks like

Originally posted by iceclimber View Post
          https://www.starmarinedepot.com/boat...CABEgIb-PD_BwE

You are not supposed to use a shop vac on bilge water, I know people do it.
          Not sure why one shouldn’t use a shop vac on bilge water. I’ve been using the Bucket Head with no problems. If the salt water wipes out the Bucket Head, I’ll get another one. They’re only about $20, so they are almost disposable items. As far as I can see there are no environmental or safety concerns....

Dick
          Cheers
          Oceanside
          1987 3218 w/ 150 Hinos

Comment

Colbournee, you have raised the bar on bilge cleanliness. I must now dive in and get to work on mine !
            1987 3218 135 hp Hino's
            Bremerton Yacht Club
            '07 Guzzi Norge

Comment

I second that emotion! Nice bilge colbournee.
              Glen Sherwood
              1987 3270 twin 305’s
              Coupeville, WA

Comment

My bilge is still a work in progress as well but I use Simple Green Aircraft Cleaner. I keep a pretty strong mix and spray it liberally using a spray bottle, let it sit for a few minutes then wipe up as well as I can and repeat as necessary. I do use a variety of stiff brushes to get into the tight spots. Once done I typically will try to rinse the bilge with buckets of hot water (after pulling the fuse on my bilge pump) and use a hand pump or small shop vac to suck the hot water out of the sump area. So far the bilge is starting to look much better. One project I still need to do is make the "puke can" to catch the spray.

Paul
                US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
                MMSI: 338181912

Comment

What is the puke can?
                  Glen Sherwood
                  1987 3270 twin 305’s
                  Coupeville, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Gsherwood View Post
                    What is the puke can?
                    The Hinos have a vent that lets a mist of oil out into the bilge. The "puke can" is a homemade contraption that this hose can be redirected into to catch the spray. There are commercial versions of the device but the homemade jobs work well. Or so I have read on the forum. If you search for puke can you'll find threads talking about it.

Paul

Comment

• Gsherwood
                      Gsherwood commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Got it thanks.

Originally posted by Opu View Post

Not sure why one shouldn’t use a shop vac on bilge water. I’ve been using the Bucket Head with no problems. If the salt water wipes out the Bucket Head, I’ll get another one. They’re only about $20, so they are almost disposable items. As far as I can see there are no environmental or safety concerns....
                    Because it can explode. Some guy burned down half a marina doing just that on my lake. Shop vacs are not shielded. Probably not a huge issue around Diesel but....

Comment

My puke can consist of a gater-8 bottle stuffed with a kitchen stainless steel scrubber, I just attached it to the crank-case ventilation hose with a small SS screw. It works OK, collects a small amount of oil that otherwise would be sprayed around the engine room. I did not bother with routing it back to the air intake.

The trick to a clean bilge is to clean up regularly, every stain of oil and keep a perfectly dry bilge. I mop up every drop of rain water. I have no salt water whatsoever anytime since I re-calked the trim tabs and starting using the drip-less ultra-X shaft packing.
                      1987 3270 135-Hino
                      Foxtrap, Newfoundland

Comment

Dripless PACKING? explain please.

Paul

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bilge-paint.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	455048

I agree with SUPERCLEAN product. I also employ square protective mats you plug together to protect the surface for storing tool boxes etc.
                          MY 3988
                          M/V MMPOWRD
                          Poulsbo, WA

Comment

• O1dSoldier
                            O1dSoldier commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice. One day my bilge will look like that.
                        Working...
                        X