Ways to fold the arch down.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to fold the arch down.

I am very happy to find a lot of information and suggestions in this forum. I read almost every day and learn a lot. The transport of my 4788 from France to Berlin starts and I´m thinking about how I want to design my boat. I would like to be on the Baltic Sea but also in Berlin. We have many bridges here and there is no way to go with radar arch up. I searched for solutions here but did not find them. Can maybe someone help me to solve the problem?

Cutting the arch and installing a hinge is common for boats that have low clearance boathouses. The problem is this is done manually and a fair degree of strength is required because the hinged section isn’t counterbalanced. With some engineering, I can envision a hydrauliclly operated hinged section similar to a convertible top on a car or the dinghy lifts that mount under a swim step extension. Or, you may be able to find an electric linear actuator screw that could power off of your dinghy hoist. Either way I’d want some sort of latch for the up position that could be opened using a solenoid but keep it from rotating at the wrong time. Kind of like a door latch keeps a door from swinging open.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Thank you PCPete for your answer. I also have the idea with the hinge in my head. That I can use Davit to support me .. Great NEU idea !!
      I hope, however, that I find here an owner who had the same problem in the past and can show how he solved the problem.

Comment

On the 4788 the arch to cabin interface is where many of the salon leaks come from. I consider this a weak point in the design of the 4788.

If we ever need to remove our arch it will be replaced by a alumanium or stainless steel welded pipe. It would be lighter, easily hinged, and allow direct access to the area on the boat that has the most leaks.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

You need a pair of 316 SS heavy duty hinges like this, add a pair of rams would be even better.
          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

Yeah, I agree with what Pcpete has suggested. A friend of mine is to get his 4788 transporters with the help of auto transport Melbourne service offered by Florida Transporter, this week. I believe that choosing the right transportation service can provide safe delivery of the boat and helps in preventing it from the rough wear and tear during the process. But thanks for the other suggestions too, by knowing this I can help my friend if he faces the same problem.

Comment

Our Bayliner 4788 has the hydraulic arch modification, and we actually had to use it recently to get under a drawbridge on the ICW in FL that was going to be closed for the next two days for a repair.

We've got some photos of it on our blog (www.technomadia.com), and we'll soon be publishing the video about our adventure with the low bridge. If you look back through the old videos and posts, we also lowered the arch for our trip being towed up the Miami River last November.

It is definitely a handy feature. We specifically sought out a boat with this mod so that we can someday cruise the western Eerie Canal.

Cheers,

- Chris
              Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
              "Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
              "Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
              Now spending half of each year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

Comment

Thank you for the many information. The Arch is down and my 4788 is being transported from Port Napoleon to my area for 3 days. On Wednesday she is expected here. I'm pretty excited and can barely sleep ;-)

Comment

I wanted a folding arch also so we went with Atlantic Towers "Tower-in-a-box." Lighter, taller (so I don't hit my head on it when I walk back on the boat-deck), and (I think) looks better. No need for electric or hydraulic assist.

https://www.towerinabox.com/
                  1991 4588
                  SE Michigan

Comment

Working...
                  X