Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heating Options-gctid407073

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Heating Options-gctid407073

    Excited Newbies just purchased a 1992 3288 Bayliner in Anacortes Washington. (Huge thanks to Rich from North Harbor Diesel for putting everything together in record time and a 20 minute docking lesson) Got home to Pender Harbour yesterday without damaging our boat and more importantly nobody elses either! Boat runs wonderfully and she has everything we wanted except a diesel heater. The Boys at NHD estimated 5-6 grand to have one installed. Does anyone know of a less expensive option? How about a 2000 watt Honda Gen Set? Any reason you couldn't run power into the shore power inlet on the boat from the Gen Set, then use the boats electric heater?

    #2
    I know how it is after just buying a boat, it's $$$ out the door as fast as you can make it.

    You are really going to want diesel heat. It will change your boating from being cold to comfortable, even if you have to save for it.

    Choose your technology, then choose your brand.

    We went with Wallas forced air heat on this boat. We're very happy with that choice, but honestly we were happy with our Espar, and even our Toyotomi units.

    BTW 5-6 grand installed is pretty reasonable on a 32' boat. Figure $2500-3K in parts if you DIY the job. Figure on at least 3 full days and probably much more if you do the job yourself. You'll need probably something like 10-15K BTU to keep that boat warm.

    KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

    Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide


    Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

    Comment


      #3
      We use a Kero-sun Moonlighter kerosene heater on our boat. They are really efficient and don't smell if the wick is properly maintained. No power required to run it which for us is an advantage. It also provides enough light to see your way around. Run out of propane, you can cook on it in a pinch (ask me how I know). They come with a pot ring on top so are designed to be used that way.

      The only down side I can see is the bulk of the unit. We have a shelf on our boat that it sits on that works well for us. And the price, about $200.

      Comment


        #4
        My Boat had AC when i bayd it, so i installd air diesel heater and rund it in the same pipes as the AC use.

        If i had duons it to day i had installd Water diesel heater, so i cud heat upp the waterheater.
        subscribe to my youtube channel

        www.youtube.com/c/MyBoatandMylife

        Comment


          #5
          check the local fish wrapper for people selling thier dickenson stoves, craigslist.. you can find them cheaper that way.. heck I got one at a garage sale for 250.00

          B. bring

          O. on

          A. another

          T. thousand

          Comment


            #6
            Personally, I think a hydronic system is the way to go. Anyone that I have spoken with that went with an air unit always wishes they had hydronic heat for hot water in the galley n foe showers. I m currently in the process of installing a webasto tsl-17. The smallest of the hydronic heaters. It will be maxed out in terms of BTU 's but should be fine.

            Christopher

            Comment


              #7
              VanHarper wrote:
              Personally, I think a hydronic system is the way to go. Anyone that I have spoken with that went with an air unit always wishes they had hydronic heat for hot water in the galley n foe showers. I m currently in the process of installing a webasto tsl-17. The smallest of the hydronic heaters. It will be maxed out in terms of BTU 's but should be fine.

              Christopher
              That really depends...

              On our non generator equipped boats I prefered hydronic for that very reason.

              On our 4788 we need to run the generator enough that we're never without hot water (which is also heated by one of the propulsion engines).

              The water heater also helps put a load on our generator which otherwise might be underloaded a bit when its just recharging the batteries, as our inverter/charger only draws 22 amps AC.

              We went with forced air specifically because of this, and also because we wanted an air exchange, with the system bringing in fresh air from outside the boat. We also have the advantage of forced air ventilatition. We use that quite a bit to keep the boat from getting the damp musty smell common with boats that sit in humid enviroments.

              KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
              www.transferswitch4less.com

              Whats the weather like on our boat
              https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide


              Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

              Comment


                #8
                If going with a diesel heater contact SHURE MARINE in Seattle, there knowlege and service is the best, I installed a Wabesto hydronic system in my 3870, nice and warm.
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

                Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

                Comment


                  #9
                  joy sea,

                  If Pender Harbour is your home, send me a PM. Our boat is tied up in Secret Cove and I could show you our hydronic installation if you like.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I tried a kerosene heater as well, dumped it for a Big Buddy propane heater. Much smaller, no smell and it has safety features. Sure it takes those little propane bottles but I'm in to the whole setup for $90.00 on line. Love it, plus I can move it wherever I like. Not as awesome as diesel heat, but like 6k cheaper.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      ksanders wrote:
                      That really depends...

                      On our non generator equipped boats I prefered hydronic for that very reason.

                      On our 4788 we need to run the generator enough that we're never without hot water (which is also heated by one of the propulsion engines).

                      The water heater also helps put a load on our generator which otherwise might be underloaded a bit when its just recharging the batteries, as our inverter/charger only draws 22 amps AC.

                      We went with forced air specifically because of this, and also because we wanted an air exchange, with the system bringing in fresh air from outside the boat. We also have the advantage of forced air ventilatition. We use that quite a bit to keep the boat from getting the damp musty smell common with boats that sit in humid enviroments.
                      But we are talking about a '92 3288 not a 4788. His situation is not the same as the one that you currently have. All discussions that I have had regarding the heating of a 3288 in PNW leads to hydronic heating to gain the obvious advantages of heat hot water and an extended cruising season.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        VanHarper wrote:
                        But we are talking about a '92 3288 not a 4788. His situation is not the same as the one that you currently have. All discussions that I have had regarding the heating of a 3288 in PNW leads to hydronic heating to gain the obvious advantages of heat hot water and an extended cruising season.
                        If the OP's 3288 does not have a permenantly mounted generator then I would agree that having hot water is a distinct advantage.

                        Thats why we chose hydronic heat for most of our boats.

                        KEVIN SANDERS
                        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                        www.transferswitch4less.com

                        Whats the weather like on our boat
                        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide


                        Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

                        Comment


                          #13
                          RJH wrote:
                          joy sea,

                          If Pender Harbour is your home, send me a PM. Our boat is tied up in Secret Cove and I could show you our hydronic installation if you like.
                          Was in Secret Friday night - popped over to have a look at Hokus Pokus. Then I turned tail and went back to my boat - you've set the bar WAY too high!!

                          Seriously - that's the nicest 32xx I've looked at - and I've looked at a lot! nice work..
                          ________________
                          1989 Bayliner 3270

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Nikko,

                            Thanks for your kind words.

                            I shudder to think of the time and money I've lavished on her in the 6 years we've owned the boat, but I enjoy working on her and it keeps me out of the bar (mainly because she keeps me broke).

                            Sorry I missed you in Secret Cove. I was there for a short time Friday afternoon just to check her lines and water the plants on the after deck.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I do not know if the propane heater in my boat ( http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html ) is still available, but if it is, it works well and does not consume much space

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X