Tricks for replacing (moving) a heavy battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricks for replacing (moving) a heavy battery

On my 1997 3788 the house battery is a 4d located beneath the salon settee in the space between the engine compartment and the cockpit lazarete. In my opinion that is the best location for the battery given that it does not occupy usable storage space in the lazarete, is further forward and on the starboard side helping to correct the list to port. That is the best location until one needs to replace it. The battery sits between the hull side and the 6" exhaust hose. It's as if the exhaust hose is saying hey, this is my friend, don't mess with him. It looks like there may be enough room above the exhaust hose to move the battery over the top on the way out to the lazarete. If not I'll disconnect the exhaust elbow connected at the turbo to lower the hose and gain more room above and if that doesn't work I will also pull the hose from the muffler. Having replaced multiple hoses of which the new hoses are not happy at all about being put in place I'm hoping to avoid the struggle of getting the hose off and especially back on. Those things are never positioned where one would have the greatest leverage over them. Anyway, unless I do remove that hose the challenge is the weight of the battery and how to lift it up and over the exhaust hose. I wonder what tricks others have come up with? Ideas I've had are as follows. Try lifting it out unaided hoping any failure angers me to the point of the incredible hulk and I power through it. I think I'll try that approach for at least 5 minutes and if that doesn't work I am considering taking a stack of cut up 2x4, lift one end of the battery and slide a piece under it, lift the other end and slide a piece under it and continue until the battery is at the right height next to the hose so that I can clumsily slide the battery over the top of the hose. If in the process that starts to seem foolish I wonder about constructing a miniature gantry like contraption. This contraption would consist of a support on each end of a galvanized pipe situated with one end behind the battery to forward and starboard of the battery and the other end aft and to port of the battery (probably partially blocking my access but I think a few swear words will compensate). I would then use two nylon straps attached over the pipe and to the carry handles on each end of the battery. The battery would be lifted using the straps until high enough to then slid out along the pipe and over the hose. Hmm, as I write this I'm getting that feeling that all of the effort to avoid removing that hose is going to be far greater than just removing the hose, my cleverness never ceases to cost me in time and money.

Appreciate any thoughts, tips, tricks. Oh and by the way, once that 4d is out I'm putting smaller batteries in place to make future battery replacements less of a challenge.
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian
    1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

...kinda gives a whole new meaning to "how'd the Egyptians do it"... Loud screams helps...gets the adrenalin goin'...probably what the whips were for...

Can't help with the 37...my 8D's gave this ole man enough of a battle...primal roars...

All I can suggest is to develop any way that you can to create leverage to lift and cribbage to hold any gain you might make...your 2x4 idea sounds real good...put 'em the long way so they don't keel over when you get to the right height and start to slide it up and over.

I'm more of a disassembly type...if it's in the way, take it out...put it back later...

...and don't forget the tried and true "beer and pizza at my boat" approach...

Good luck...be careful...
    1988 3888 "Liberty"
    Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
    Onan 8.0
    Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

I just call my sons. The one in Vermont never shows up for some reason. Cribbing it up will work well, but it’s a long process. The gantry idea is one I like because it’s reusable for lowering the new one in place, but then, how are you going to get it to your car or truck?
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I get everything setup...then find a couple of strong looking guys on the dock.

Generally offering a couple of guys a hundred a piece will get the heavy thing moved right now.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

If it was me I swap your 4D to some a pair of Group 27 or build of bank of Trojan T145 batteries 2 or 4 pairs. Depending on whether this is a house or starting bank of battiers you have two smaller and easier to manager batteries, and in most cases get more amp hours and higher crank amps. We did this years ago removed 2 8D and removed with 2 group 27 for starting and 6 T145 for the house. bank.
          Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

I paid my mechanic to remove the battery on my 3788. He did it with his son. well worth it.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

Tony Bacon,
              Washougal, WA
              Caspian

Comment

I pulled my house 8D about 5 years ago alone. It weighed as much as I do. Never again, went to 6v golf cart batts. My start Battery 8D is still holding. The PO put it in just before I bought it. It's still working after 15 years when it fails I'll hire someone to remove it and not install another 8D.

Comment

I don't like moving them but fewer and bigger cells are better for your battery bank.

I have 4 L16's on board and you couldn't convince me to change that strategy.

For those that don't know the L16 weighs about as much (bit less) as an 8D but is 6V and in a tall form factor.
                  1989 3888
                  Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Unless there is a typo, the 4D weighs only 100lbs. Cannot see the issue moving that out of there.
                    Cheers, Hans
                    2007 Carver 41 CMY
                    Twin Volvo D6-370
                    Montreal, Canada
                    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Bacon
                      ​​​​​​​Nice job, Tony...and it was easy enough for you to take pics...lol...
                      1988 3888 "Liberty"
                      Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                      Onan 8.0
                      Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post
                        Unless there is a typo, the 4D weighs only 100lbs. Cannot see the issue moving that out of there.
                        Well, I can easily lift 100lbs. I replaced my 8d start batteries without too much struggle. The problem is lifting them from a location you can't crouch over them. I was on my belly arms straight out.
                        Tony Bacon,
                        Washougal, WA
                        Caspian

Comment

Originally posted by Bacon View Post

Well, I can easily lift 100lbs. I replaced my 8d start batteries without too much struggle. The problem is lifting them from a location you can't crouch over them. I was on my belly arms straight out.
                          I can attest to this. My 3788 had an 8D un the same location and there was no way that I could lift it out of there.

I now have group 31 batteries for engine start and six golf cart batteries for the house.
                          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                          Anacortes, WA

Comment

I could have squeezed six carts into that space. The 4d supplied 160 amps. The four carts supply just over 500. I will be adding 600 watts of solar and replacing my tired old norbarelycold with a more efficient isotherm. I expect at that.point I will reduce genset usage during peak season to only the times I want Air Conditioning. Might even manage on my norebarelycold fridge.
                            Tony Bacon,
                            Washougal, WA
                            Caspian

Comment

I always ask if they have a couple of young guys to lift out my 8D's and then put the new ones back in. So far, they always have. I give the guys a 20 each and we are good

Comment

Working...
                              X