Lake Champlain to New York

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Champlain to New York

Heading down to NY from Lake Champlain for the first time on my 4588. Is there anything special I should know ? Bridge clearance ?

Did that trip quite some time ago in my 2355. The Champlain canal is a slow go for an entire day at 5mph other wise nothing really special to watch out for except when you do get to the big apple, watch out for the ferry traffic, pretty hectic out there. Enjoy the trip.
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I brought back a 41 Maxum from upstate NY to NJ a couple of years ago and enjoyed the trip. New Whitehall Marina in Whitehall is at the north end of the canal and a good place to overnight and get an early start on the canal. It is slow going on the canal and I was stuck behind a cement barge for most of the day. We made it to Shady Harbor Marina in New Baltimore before dark, it is a good place to stop and overnight, friendly party people and a great restaurant. The lock masters on the canal are friendly people. Just one warning, the Black Rock Lock on the Hudson is Federal and there are no lines to grab onto. The lockmaster's both times I went through were less than friendly. Enjoy your trip.

http://www.shadyharbormarina.com
      1989 3888
      Hino 210's

Comment

As Hans clearly pointed out - watch out for 'debris' in the water mostly south of Tappan Zee (refrigerators. giant tires, piers etc). If you are not going out to LI sound there are no real pointers on bridges or routes but if you are there will be.
        Traffic and wakes in and around the battery are pretty crazy most of the time - be prepared when nearing the busy sections. Have a plan on where you are staying ahead of time during the summer - reservations for that sized boat would be suggested. Have fun we have cruised the area pretty extensively and there is much to do....
        Northport NY

Comment

I found some interesting documentation en blue seas. Depending on water levels the bridge clearance can be as low as 14', you can however call a day in advance to have them adjust the levels if you require more clearance.

Comment

It's a smooth beautiful ride from Troy down to NY Harbor...suggest you stay in the channel in the upper parts of the Hudson. If you are headed to Long Island Sound, you are not likely to fit under the bridges on Spuyten Dyvel which is a shortcut from Hudson to East River at the northern tip of Manhattan. (Check your charts carefully for bridge clearances)

Lots of places to stay or anchor on the way down...Catskill, Kingston, Newburgh, West Point/Garrison, Haverstraw Bay, Palisades cliffs...then NY Harbor, Raritan Bay...

Pretty choppy/wakes in NY Harbor, lots of ferries/taxis...depends on day of the week for additional traffic.

Current runs pretty good (up to 4 knots/Ebb) when you get down by the George Washington bridge and into the Harbor. Hudson runs South quite a bit after High Tide at the Battery. Suggest getting Eldridge Tide and Pilot book for NY Harbor and surrounding tides and currents ($12-$15). Especially if you're headed out to Long Island Sound...(Hell Gate/East River)

Not sure what your plans are but lots of us down here can be more helpful...

Have a great trip...
            1988 3888
            Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
            Onan 8.0
            Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Is the tide strong enough to change the direction of the current on the Hudson or just slow it down? I was up on the St-Lawrence last year with 10' tides. As it came in, it would change the direction of the current and create some sizeable waves if the wind was helping.

Comment

Originally posted by 1thefox1 View Post
                Is the tide strong enough to change the direction of the current on the Hudson or just slow it down? I was up on the St-Lawrence last year with 10' tides. As it came in, it would change the direction of the current and create some sizeable waves if the wind was helping.
                Nick posted about getting the Eldrigde book - a very goo idea as tidal currents can easily affect your planning (or should). No standing waves due to tides on the Hudson but the river is large and has its own wave action from long fetches when the wind is up.
                Tide runs in both ways most of the river. Again - I you head out to LI sound it is another story but the Hudson has no standing waves. This link is a poor excuse for the Eldrigde book but will give a clue...

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/cu...0/tab2ac4.html
                Northport NY

Comment

Regarding current on the Hudson...it's important to note that you will need to pay attention to current predictions and not tidal. Reason being as current can lag tide by up to 2 hours. Current change on the Hudson (Troy South) is largely dependent on how high the tide is at the Battery. Think of the Battery as a "wall"...if it goes up high enough to stop the constant Southbound flow of the Hudson, it will change direction but it is actually the Hudson water that changes and not Ocean water from the Battery. If it were ocean water it would need to travel at 15-16 knots to make the 90 mile trip North. Typical current on the Hudson North of the Tappan Zee bridge will be 1-1.5 South and .75 to 1.5 North. As you go further South along the Palisades cliffs you will see Southbound current picking up (the Battery "wall" is going down and emptying Haverstraw Bay. (Racing a 38' sailboat on the Hudson for 20 years makes one watch the current carefully). Water turns from fresh to salt between Newburgh and South end of Haverstraw Bay. The only waves you will find from Troy to the Battery is wakes from other boats. Unfortunately, there are no NOAA Data Buoys available on the Hudson. There is only one and it only measures Temp and Dew Point up around Kingston. All the data you will read is actually "predictions"...

There is commercial traffic on the Hudson, typically tug/barge hauling gypsum and concrete stuff to Haverstraw and North of Kingston. Keep to your side of the channel, these river guys are good and won't claim more than they need. (Actually the Gypsum plant might be closed down now...)

May I suggest getting another book...The Hudson River Guidebood by Arthur Adams...it is a mile by mile description of the Hudson. Not for navigational purposes but rather from a sightseeing perspective ($25.00). Mile 0 starts at the Battery so you will need to "read it backwards"...lol... Your guests and crew will enjoy reading about all the historical and other interesting stuff on the Hudson. (400+ pages). If this is your first trip or your only one, get this book well in advance. It will help you pick out where you might want to spend some time. If you've picked out some stopping points, let us know...I'm sure somebody on here will have a review for you.

Winds are generally light this time of year...generally from the Southeast. Calms down in afternoon and then sea breeze picks up a bit by early evening. Nothing to worry about unless you like travelling in a storm. Your size boat will think it's a chop.

Radar is helpful but not really necessary. Lots of visibility buoy to buoy. The river snakes a bit up between Kingston and Albany but buoys are clearly visible. At night it's a bit tricky as it looks like the holiday season south of Catskill.

Channel 13 for commercial traffic...lots of chatter on other channels. I usually scan 9, 13, 16, 22. NY Harbor also uses Channel 12. Big freighters/tankers on the Hudson typically announce their intentions at strategic points along the Hudson (Securite).

When are you making the trip...? Pleasure cruise or transport...? Final destination...?

And as Smitty pointed out...going out to Long Island Sound is a whole other story...
                  1988 3888
                  Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                  Onan 8.0
                  Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Thanks for all the great info. We left last night and should be in NY by the end of the week. We are curently traveling up the Richelieu to lake Champlain. It will be our first time down and we will be heading back after a couple of days in NY. Although right now I seem to have a mechanical problem that I will be creating a seperate post for.

Comment

Working...
                    X