4788 Master Bathroom Mirror Cabinet Hinge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Master Bathroom Mirror Cabinet Hinge

The hinges on our mirrored master bathroom medicine cabinet are pretty much shot, and the cabinet door is starting to hang off-kilter and not close fully.

Does anyone here know the specs / brand / part number necessary to track down a drop-in replacement hinge?

I could dismantle everything and take the parts to a hardware store hoping to find a match, but the screws are in such sad shape I am pretty sure if I take it apart I will not be able to put the old hinges back on again. And we'd hate to end up being stuck without a replacement option.

Thanks!

- Chris
    Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
    "Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
    "Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
    Now spending half of each year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

I took the old hinge off - it came down in a cloud of rust dust so they are definitely shot.

But unfortunately - I found nothing at all close to a match at the local Home Depot. As I feared, the Bayliner hinges seem to be a bit more exotic.

Does anyone have any pointers on where to get a replacement? Surely others have had to replace these hinges before, right?

Cheers,

- Chris

Comment

Chris,
      I have not had to replace any of the stock hinges however these are the kind of hinges used in household cabinets. I suggest trying a wholesale cabinet hardware outfit. I remodeled our kitchen 8-9 years ago and replaced all the hinges. I used a wholesale outfit in Salt Lake City (I’ve forgotten the name) and they had access to an unbelievable selection of hardware. Hope this helps!
      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
      MV Kia Orana
      Currently Alameda CA

Comment

One thing I notice about the bathroom cabinet hinge is that it snaps closed and holds tightly - probably to keep the cabinet door tightly shut when the boat rocks. I worry that typical hardware store hinges might just swing open while underway.

I will dig into some online wholesale cabinet part suppliers - but it is hard to know from pictures what will be the ideal match, particularly for the existing hole pattern.

I will share here if I find a workable option.

Cheers,

- Chris

Comment

Chris,
          I took a look when I got back to the boat. Our bathroom medicine cabinet has a catch that helps hold it closed. On the medicine cabinet door, It is just a nylon ball that get deflected down and then pops back up behind the catch on the cabinet frame. I think Lowe’s or Home Depot would sell something that would be workable to help hold the door closed.
          2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
          12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
          MV Kia Orana
          Currently Alameda CA

Comment

FYI - we were able to determine that the hinges used throughout the Bayliner 4788 are Grass 1006's. This is a hinge that is no longer made, and old stock parts seem to be very hard to find.

I contacted CabinetParts.com and they sent me these links to the "Grass Nexis Screw On 125° Full Overlay Hinge - Self Close" as a modern alternative. Here is what they sent me:

Thank you for the photos! Here is what you will need for a replacement:
            https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/grass...HA148329310015
            &
            https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/grass...HA346290910215
            Be aware you may have new screw holes. Please let me know if you need anything else.
            The mounting plate is a completely different design, so I am curious to see if there are any issues switching to them. We have a box of hinges inbound and will be trying the install soon.

Cheers,

- Chris

Comment

Working...
            X