305 gas Alternator-gctid406298

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

305 gas Alternator-gctid406298

Suddenly, no volts at all on one motor, on either gauge. Is the most likely scenario a dead alternator? If so, what is the risk of running the engine while it's bad? Also, could someone recommend a good source for the replacement - 1987 US Marine label engine. I do not run an inverter.

When my alt started giving me low volts, I was able to have it re-built. It was cheaper than buying a new one.

Comment

Which side? Most 32xx (along with most Bayliners) the port alt powers the ignition and start circuit for both engines and the starboard powers the house and charges that side. I would definitely try to have it rebuilt but if its the house (starboard) side I would consider replacement with a bigger e.g. higher amp capacity. My 1986 3270 only has 50 amp alt and they get a hard work out since I run the most recommended amp hour battery bank for the house.

Comment

It's the Port side. Still looking for a good source to order the new one, I don't think I can easily get it rebuilt, but I can look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCRUISER-M...24ebaf&vxp=mtr

Found this replacement

Comment

Yours should be easier to find and cheaper than mine. I have the Volvo 305 set up and they used Paris Rhone 3 wire alternators. Serria Parts has most of the ones used by Bayliner and most NAPA stores carry Serria Marine parts. You can download the current Serria catalogue from their website. It also has a good cross reference chart for applicability. That way if you find another place that has something cheaper you at least have the correct part number. Also this place has some good buys occasionally, ebasicpower.com. I bought complete manifold/risers for both engines from these guys shipped to my door for $1150. They are in North Carolina and it was cheaper to ship than to pay WA sales tax! And it was about 350 lbs of cast iron!

Comment

I noticed the eBay listing you posted is for a remanufactured unit. You can get a brand new unit for the same price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR-M...#ht_2265wt_962

Back when I had my GM 350 in my boat, I did end up replacing the alternator with the one noted above. It worked great and was still running strong after 400+ hours when I sold my engine.

Comment

Dbelectrical cheapest place to buy new alt. they also sell on ebay
              Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I just bought that type of alternator for my boat but it was a 100 amp one. Why stick with the same low charge alt?
                1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                twin 454's
                MV Mar-Y-Sol
                1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                Twin chevy 350's inboard
                Ben- Jamin
                spokane Washington

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm heading down to pull it today and will order up a 105 amp.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-3609-n...e-adr0334.aspx

This looks like it'll work.

Comment

Ship your alternator to Ballard Electric on this side of the state- they will rebuild it correctly for a very reasonable price.

Comment

With respect, why would I rebuild a lower amp alternator when I can order a new one at double the amps for less money ?

Comment

Working...
                      X