San Juan Islands - Best Anchorages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Juan Islands - Best Anchorages

While I understand that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” and “best” can mean different things to different people, I am curious about people’s favorite anchorages in the San Juan Islands. The admiral and I were discussing how we seem to always go back to the same spots and that we should explore more. So how about it? Anyone willing to share their favorite spots? If you’re worried about disclosing a hidden gem... I won’t tell anyone...

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	436543Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	436544 Decatur bay, jones island ,James island the picture is Decatur bay @ Decatur island ,Rosario beach just outside of deception pass. I also like west side of camano island although not technically san Juan islands.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

I started to write about a few, but just deleted it all after I realized there could never be an ending to it..... nearly all the designated anchorages are great, and some of the undesignated spots that you may want to try are great, in fine weather.... usually a great anchorage on one day can be a crowded or blustery anchorage on a different day.... where one anchors in the anchorage will leave you with an impression that if you were to anchor on the other side of it, you would have a different impression.... and the same with the islands themselves...
      during our visits, we have only stayed 3 nights in any one spot, but several times we have left out of one anchorage only go around the corner less than half a mile, and find another one we pull into and drop the hook....
      in my opinion, the worst anchorage we stayed in was sucia island, echo bay... its a GREAT anchorage, but at thetime we were there, we were just another of the 150+ boats anchored there.... and with all the people exploring/crowding the island shores it was nearly as bad as being in friday harbor at ferry time.... which I will admit is still a BUNCH better than where I am at the moment, but I prefer quiet and a bit more private anchorages...

the very nicest anchorage we have EVER spent a couple days in was a fairly deep narrow cove that we backed into and then took lines from all four corners to a shore tie.... we had about 15 feet of clearance on each side of the boat, in 20 feet of water and we were about 20 feet off a private sandy beach which was unaccessable from shore due to being surrounded by rock cliffs...
      offhand, without going thru the logbook, I cant remember which island it was on....

to sum it up, they ALL have something interesting to offer, and some are better than others at different times...

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

The fist picture is a little cove I think it's called crab cove but not sure. It's just north of oak harbor heading toward deception pass. The other is west side of camano island. Both places there are few people anchoring out. Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	436551Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	436552
        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

Centerline2,

Are you you thinking of Maria? The narrow, deep cove sounds like it.

1988 38'
          Shear Bliss

Comment

That’s supposed to be, ‘Matia.’ Darn auto-correct.
            1988 38'
            Shear Bliss

Comment

• Centerline2
              Centerline2 commented
              Editing a comment
              I do believe thats it...

You mention Matia island, I think that starts to bring out one of the interesting things of the San Juan’s and Gulf Islands. The islands are very diverse in the type of geography, wild life and foliage. Matia is starkly different than many other islands, my son when younger called it the land before time island, Spieden island as you pass towards Roche Harbor is stark, barren and steep banked, Jones provides a more classic park setting with beautiful views, as for Succia, go around to Shallow bay, much smaller than echo and more scenic. We also like Garrison bay, again very different from other bays. Just so many places to explore, The only poor choices are where you get exposure to ferry traffic ( noise and waves from the wakes) if you are in a bay open to wind wave action (depending on season the wind direction does change). Echo bay on Succia can be a bit rough and as mentioned very busy so we avoid it.

If you want to adventure north into the Gulf islands we like to stop at Poets cove to pass customs and then we travel to the end of Bedwell Harbor and pass through Pender canal to Port Browning. As long as you are not a tall ship (bridge clearance is 20ft) this is very scenic and anchorage in Port Browning is quite sheltered. Just be certain to check tide and current for the cannal as it is a bit narrow and has some turns to it. I always call out securite when entering and sound a horn blast on the turns for safety. The cannal has some interesting history as it was created for steam ship passage. The entry is well marked with channel markers..
            4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's
            2355 C Express, 1996 5L
            17ft Cobra, 1985, 125HP

Exploring the Salish Sea

Comment

Blind Bay (Shaw Island) has state park buoys but I can tell you that you will eat passing boats and ferry wake all day long.
              1988 38'
              Shear Bliss

Comment

Jones Island has a dock, several mooring balls, and a beautiful little campground with a couple short trails to stretch your legs.
                Drew Haas
                1988 3818 "Painkiller"

Comment

Prevost on Stuart Island, amazing sunsets. Walk to Turn point for Whale watching. Parks Bay opposite Friday Harbor if its too crowded. Roche has good anchoring and gets you away from the chaos on busy weekends. Garrison Bay round the corner from Roche is also great, very shallow.
                  1996 4087 Lazy Days
                  2007 Walker Bay Genesis Lazy Mac
                  2011 Porsche Cayman
                  2010 Lexus IS 250C
                  2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

I like to anchor in Bedwell Bay up here in Canada. It's so exciting to be anchored with 20 or so beater boats anchored with no one on board. At night when the winds kick up you lay awake in your bed waiting for the sound of a broken free piece of crap smashing into your Yachit.

I wish our government would do something about this. It's really screwed up our favourite place.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the great ideas including those to maybe sorta avoid! We love the San Juans and Gulf Islands. So much to explore, see and do!

Comment

Working...
                      X