3270/3288 fuel filter(s) change-gctid348850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dean.

"Do you mind if I ask where you found the 10 micron rating for the Hino engine mounted secondary filter?"

In the EH500 shop manual and I think also in the WO6 shop manual (not handbooks).

FWIW - If you have a bunch of spare time you can read extensively on how the ratings are made and tested. As a result of that reading it becomes clear that any filter rated at say 10 mics does not really just filter at exactly 10 mics but filters a 'rainbow' of sizes 'around' the 10 mic mark.

Hope this helps
    Northport NY

Comment

smitty477 wrote:
      Hi Dean.

"Do you mind if I ask where you found the 10 micron rating for the Hino engine mounted secondary filter?"

In the EH500 shop manual and I think also in the WO6 shop manual (not handbooks).

FWIW - If you have a bunch of spare time you can read extensively on how the ratings are made and tested. As a result of that reading it becomes clear that any filter rated at say 10 mics does not really just filter at exactly 10 mics but filters a 'rainbow' of sizes 'around' the 10 mic mark.

Hope this helps
      I have the engine service manual for the W04 but never saw it but I will look again. I have read some of the information on the size of particles captured, but I honestly hope that the engineers who designed the engine took it into consideration as well when specifying the micron rating of the filter. The sites you reference also talk about filtering in stages, from larger to smaller micron filter rating, which makes sense.

My used boat came with 2 micron primary. I had seen statements on here that the engine mounted secondary was 2 micron, but have never been able to confirm. It just reaffirms in my mind that running a 2 micron in front of a 10 micron has no logic. Not unless one subscribes to the idea that you can avoid changing the engine mounted filter for a longer period. Even from Racor literature the 2 micron is only recommended for primary application.

2010SM-OR 2 Micron (Brown end caps)

Recommended for Final /Secondary Filtration

2010TM-OR 10 Micron (Blue end caps)

Recommended for Primary or Secondary Filtration

2010PM-OR 30 Micron (Red end caps)

Recommended for Primary Filtration Only.

Everybody has their approach and I'm sure I've beat this poor, dead horse enough. Got to run anyway, I read I need to put some 20W50 in my car that calls for 5W30 for better protection. Thanks for your time, Dean

Comment

Hi Dean,

"It just reaffirms in my mind that running a 2 micron in front of a 10 micron has no logic"

I agree with you entirely - after we buy a used boat and once we get the fuel tanks reasonably clean we run either a 10 or 30 mic in front of the on engine filter. On the last boat we had a real bad fuel issue so we ran a spin on bulk primary to the 30 mic secondary and then to the final on engine filter with great results - idea stolen from Tony Athens website.

We have always run vacuumn gages on fuel filters so it is much easier to see the effects on the 2 mic filters and how fast that they may plug up.

Hope this helps
        Northport NY

Comment

thanks to all for sharing your insight into changing the fuels filters on a 32xx with Hino's. I ended up having to crawl up in front of the geni and between the mains - which actually wasn't that bad. I used a 1/2 of a large soda bottle to catch the filter and had a diaper down just in case. Ended up spilling about a tablespoon or two of fuel - virtually nothing. I had ziplock bags with me and dropped the empty filters in right away - no fuss, no mess...

I was successful in not having to prime the stbd engine after the filter change , but the port quit after running for a few minutes. A few pumps of the hand pump on the injector pump built pressure, and away if went again.

Job done - way easier than I was thinking it would be.

thanks all!

Comment

An update - changed the fuel filters again, but this time I did it through the access ports into the main stateroom. Way easier - as in WAY easier. I did have to get the stbd secondary filter from behind the engine, but everything else was done through the ports - including using the hand pumps to top up the filters.

Comment

Great input on diesel fuel filter replacement. Any guidance on replacing the fuel filter on 305 Mercruisers? I've followed the fuel lines and can't locate a fuel shutoff. My anticipation is i'll need a drip bucket, remove the bowl in the bucket, replace the filter, lube the gasket and reinstall. Should i be filling the bowl with fuel prior to reinstalling? Much like was recommended for the diesel? Any input on the type of filter? I plan to remove the old one and take it to the part store to find a match.

Tia

Comment

Working...
              X