Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3258 Access to Fuel Tanks/Senders-gctid405786

All,

Both our fuel tank gauges are playing up. Both of them have power and the needle moves but the readings arent accurate and one sits below empty after filling up. Im guessing our senders in the tanks have gone bad. Has anyone replaced these before? How do i access them?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

anyone come had to get access to these before?

thanks,

Comment

looking more and more like i'll have to dismantle most of the kitchen and lounge to get to each of the tanks. not looking forward to this job

Comment

My guages are working fine so I have never looked for access.

Comment

we have a 3258. This last weekend we did a bunch of work. was all over engine room. If you can call it that. I use the term ROOM sparingly. I was looking at the back of the fuel tanks. Could see 3 or 4 outlets, but don't remember seeing the senders. I would think they could be reached pulling up the floor panel just inside the back door. We plan on putting in a fuel computer with a totalizer. That way you would know exactly how much fuel has been used and whats left. I don't trust the gauges after 1/2.

Comment

Check to see if there is an access panel under the bottom set of drawers in the cupboards on the port side. Starboard I've never had to deal with.

Comment

thanks. i'll check this out today and let you know the outcome

Comment

mad dog was right. There is one removable box/panel under the bottom drawer in the kitchen cupboards which gives access to the sender, filler and breathers. On the other side if you remove the rear corner seat/cushion there is another panel/box that can be removed to expose the starboard sender, filler and breather.

I haven't had a chance to remove then yet however. Does anyone know if the senders are a standard mercruiser item fitted on the 3258?

thanks

Comment

Anyone? Was hoping they were so i could pre-order and then remove and fit at the same time.

Comment

I have a 2001 3258, I have had to access both tanks, on access is inside the lower shelf of your cabinets next to your refrigerator (you will see a small cut out in the bottom with screws in it. the other is in under the dinette seets storeage area, its about 2 feet up from the back of the bottom of the seat agains the outer side and you should be able to feel the screws through the felt. i hope this helps. very easy to access. if you need some pics let me know and i can get you some.

Comment

Senders are not specific. Take the old ones to a marine or even a truck dealer and get a replacement. You might find you can adjust the ones you have. They simply pull out after removing five screws. Google "west marine catalogue" and put "fuel sender" in search to see what it looks like.
                      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Working...
                      X