32XX: Largest Hull Bolt- On Zinc you(39)re Installing?-gctid405615

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32XX: Largest Hull Bolt- On Zinc you(39)re Installing?-gctid405615

I'm curious what the largest zinc anyone is installing on the hull of the 32's? I've tried to install a 20 lb (blank) zinc but can't see how to do it without cutting the zinc down a bit due to interference with the trim tab actuator housing. Thanks, Dean

Mine is about 5" x 9"...ish. It has lasted 3 years so far and is still going strong.

I also have zincs on the trim tabs (4" pancake style) and shafts (large egg shape for 1 1/4")........OH yeah, pencil zincs in the heat exchanger also.

Comment

R&Jonthebay wrote:
      Mine is about 5" x 9"...ish. It has lasted 3 years so far and is still going strong.

I also have zincs on the trim tabs (4" pancake style) and shafts (large egg shape for 1 1/4")........OH yeah, pencil zincs in the heat exchanger also.
      Are you in saltwater? Three years seems a long time for that size hull zinc but good for you.

These are Hino engines? If so, where exactly do you have the pencil zincs in the heat exchanger installed? Are these called out in the manual? Thanks, Dean

Comment

Yes, salt water. Gas engines.

I guess there's not much stray electricity in my marina or at least close to me.

I don't leave anything running on my boat when we're not there. Neither do the owners of the boats on each side of me. That may be the reason the zinc has lasted as long as it had.

Comment

6x12x1/2 on the transom, a 4" pancake on each outboard trim tab and two "football" shaped zincs on each shaft. The guy with the pencil zincs has gas engines; no pencil zincs anywhere in our diesel system.

Frank
          "Safe Boating is No Accident"
          Everett Sail and Power Squadron

Comment

TimeLess32 wrote:
            6x12x1/2 on the transom
            This is an original 20 lb blank (6" x 12" x 1") cut down a couple of inches on the right side leaving it at 17 pounds I did a few weeks ago. Next time instead of a straight cut I'm going to notch the corner to fit behind the trim tab actuator. After 15 months I replaced the same, I think I still had 7 pounds or so. I want to use the largest I can get as I do not like the factory setup for the the bolts through the transom. I worry divers will end up twisting the bolts and creating leaks into the transom structure. Maybe overkill, but oh well....

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....JPG[/img]

Comment

Dean, the divers dream plate should go through the hull and attach to all your inboard metal, like shaft brushes, motors, transmissions, rudders. through hulls, etc. You should have wire running to all of these and connected to the through bolts of the divers dream. That is the main purpose of that zink plate. All the metal outside the hull should have it's own protection.

Comment

I would suggest you get a bronze plate and attach it to the three exhisting bolts. The Divers Dream 6" X 12" could them be attached to the bronze plate using two additional bronze bolts silver soldered or welded to the plate..

When I got my x-32 some of the bolts were spun and leaking. I removed them, filled and patched the holes. Drilled new holes so I could attach the 6" X 12" Drivers Dream plate. I went one step further and silver soldered the bronze bolts to a bronze plate. 5200 that assembly on the inside and out with bronze fender washers, lock washers and nut on the outside. My theory was that a person would have to be really strong to turn the bolts that were silver soldered. I would rather have toque on the added bolts rather than on the thru hull bolts..

If I kept the boat, I would have put another bronze plate on the outside and attached the divers dream to that bronze plate,

The 6" X 12" lasted two years for the first four years. The trim tabs and shaft lasted 3 months. There was a problem at my marina as the marina people said they fixed it. The trim tabs and shaft zinks then lasted 6 months and the 6" X 12" went down to one year.

On my x-32 there was a broken bonding wire that was attached to the top of the rudder post on the inside. From the looks of your picture you may want to check to see if you have that wire.

The other problem I had was the SS screws that held the swim step supports to the hull showed really bad crevice corrosion. To be point that they were flopping in the holes. I know there are pros and cons on using SS or bronze when attaching things under water. I went with SS. Welded long 1/4 20 SS bolts to a SS plate. Attached a bonding wire to that plate. Drilled out the exhisting holes in the hull for the swim step supports. From this inside I 5200 that bracket thru the hull and 5200 another SS plate to the outside using ny-locks. I then attached the bottom half moon bracket to the 1/4 20 bolts. Connected those bonding wires to another bronze termainal block that connected to the main zink. I wanted a point to point bonding system rather than the serial that boat mfgs used. I also hooked other bonding wires to that termanial block.

At every haul out I check all of those and they looked the same as when I installed them.

Comment

Working...
                X