New Flexiteek Installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Flexiteek Installation

We have admired Flexiteek decking for several years, and finally took the plunge this year to have it installed on Merlin. There are a couple of pictures attached of the finished decking, and although the staples had not yet been reinstalled we are totally happy with the results
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

That looks great, can you give a ballpark of the cost for materials and labor? Anybody you recommend to do the work?

I am considering doing something like that OR perhaps the seagrass material that we are seeing on newer boats (see attached photo of a runabout at the boat show for example of the material I am thinking of). I would be looking at doing this to a 4788, creating a cutout that covers all around the three hatches in the lazerette and pieces to cover the 3 hatches themselves, so lots of cutting. If the Flexiteek it glues down whereas with the seagrass it would snap in and out.
    2000 Bayliner 4788 "Perfect Balance"
    370HP Cummins
    Zodiac YL 340 30HP Nissan
    Moored at Roche Harbor

Comment

• MerlinV
      MerlinV commented
      Editing a comment
      The entire project was handled by Flexiteek Western Canada (604) 619-1732. Contact is Paul Eccles. www.flexiteek.com

Wow, that looks really nice! I hope it won't get to hot in the sun...my trex decking at home is about the same color and you can't walk barefoot on the deck anymore.
    Brad & Michelle
    Bo, Jet & Maverick (we need a bigger boat!)
    1993 3688 "the Kraken"
    Hino W06 250HP
    14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
    Moored at Shelter Bay
    LaConner, WA

Comment

That looks incredible Rob!!!! I can’t wait to see it.... I’m assuming you’re going to Roche in a couple weeks, right? Did you install it in the bridge, too?

I wish I could have such a beautiful upgrade...maybe some day I will get flexteek, as it is a awesome flooring. For now, I figured I’d try a less expensive option that I could install myself, so I could save some money, as I still have a couple of kids going/starting college... ooph! The flooring I am installing is definately not as nice as the flexteel, but it seems to be way better than a simple carpet throw.

I just started installing the flooring in the cockpit and the stairs last weekend and it seemed to work pretty well... I have more to go, but with luck I’ll feel good enough to get it done by the rendezvous...

~BJ
      OMEGA
      BJ
      OMEGA

Comment

• MerlinV
        MerlinV commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes BJ, we are planning to be at the Roche rendezvous in June. We have installed the decking on the swim platform, cockpit, and all steps - None on the bridge.

• igiftmon
        igiftmon commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome... I can wait to see your beautiful flooring.. hey... btw Rob, Are your staple pockets mounted just screwed into the fiberglass, or do they have backplates with through bolted? I was just curious because I’ve seen both methods used...

See you soon,
        BJ

Wow, Rob, that looks nice!!
      Mike
      "Allante I" Rayburn 75
      Previous: '97 4788

Comment

Originally posted by igiftmon View Post
        That looks incredible Rob!!!! I can’t wait to see it.... I’m assuming you’re going to Roche in a couple weeks, right? Did you install it in the bridge, too?

I wish I could have such a beautiful upgrade...maybe some day I will get flexteek, as it is a awesome flooring. For now, I figured I’d try a less expensive option that I could install myself, so I could save some money, as I still have a couple of kids going/starting college... ooph! The flooring I am installing is definately not as nice as the flexteel, but it seems to be way better than a simple carpet throw.

I just started installing the flooring in the cockpit and the stairs last weekend and it seemed to work pretty well... I have more to go, but with luck I’ll feel good enough to get it done by the rendezvous...

~BJ
        OMEGA
        what material is this and can you provide contact info and or prox cost for what you’re doing?

Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
        Sammamish WA
        1998 4788 (April 2018)
        ”Knot Home”

Comment

Originally posted by igiftmon View Post

~BJ
          OMEGA
          That looks great as well. What material? Sourced locally in the Puget Sound area?

Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
          Sammamish WA
          1998 4788 (April 2018)
          ”Knot Home”

Comment

Hi Gordon,

I found the material from a place on eBay. It’s a UV stable, EVA material. I was skeptical at first, but figured it was worth the risk, given the quote I got for other options and considering the price I was able to negotiate, I found several versions of the material from several vendors that seemed all the same that came in various sizes and prices and from various places.

After carefully measuring and building a layout, I found the best set up was to use material that came in 47 inch wide pieces. That minimized seems, not that you see them if you cut things squarely and cleanly. The material does not seem to be perfectly square, so I calculated an overage so I could square up the material. I assumed the sheet yield would be about 45 x 94 inches. The sheets I purchased were 47x96 inches. For my entire project I figured I needed 14 sheets, so I bought 15.

The prices are all over the place from the various vendors. After a lot of emails back and fourth, I was able to get 15 sheets for about $900,delivered. That was many thousands less than the alternativesi had been looking at. It took some patience, as the guy I bought them from didn’t seem to stock a lot of the material, so I had to wait a couple weeks. All in all, the product seems pretty nice and the adhesive is very strong and sticks REALLY well to degreased surfaces, even the knurled surfaces.

The material seemed pretty easy to work with. To get the best fit, I laid the material flat in the sun and let it “normalize” . The curls in the material, from shipping, relax well and it is pretty pliable, which makes it pretty nice and to work with.

Looking at the vendors eBay site, it seems the prices may have gone up a bit, but they still seem pretty cheap, comparatively. Here is a link to a material like what I used. It’s a different color, but hopefully it will help. https://www.ebay.com/itm/47x95-EVA-D...wAAOSwqaJaVzVE

Let me know if I can help any further...
            BJ
            OMEGA

Comment

• Kubes71
              Kubes71 commented
              Editing a comment
              Good morning BJ! Thanks for the detailed info, will be very helpful for DIY. What size boat do you have?

Here are a couple of pictures now that the staples have been reinstalled.

Committing to the cost of installing Flexiteek is not for the faint of heart, but the process is quite significant. It starts with a set of highly detailed templates, which are taken back to the shop for the deck to be built (Flexiteek comes in narrow strips). The installation on the boat takes 4 to 5 days and involves vacuum bagging for maximum adhesion. Each part of the decking is joined to the next by heat welding the material. The material or installation can not really be compared to 'Peel & Stick' type materials which are available at a fraction of the cost of Flexiteek.

There's no doubt that underfoot temperatures will be hotter than white fiberglass, but it's claimed that the second generation Flexiteek cools 30% faster than traditional synthetic decking allowing you to walk across it barefoot. We don't have to worry too often about Florida like temperature in the PNW anyway.
            Rob
            Bayliner 5788
            'Merlin V'
            Vancouver BC

Comment

• igiftmon
              igiftmon commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks absolutely fabulous, Rob....did you do the bridge, too?

~BJ

That really looks nice!

Having just went through a carpet replacement project makes me think wether a product like that would be better in the pilothouse than the bound carpet that I used.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
              That really looks nice!

Having just went through a carpet replacement project makes me think wether a product like that would be better in the pilothouse than the bound carpet that I used.
              I also put bound carpet on the flybridge of my Meridian... but now thinking I should have went with something like Infinity Woven Fabric. I was considering Flexiteak vs. Seadek on the back deck... but once I had a look at the Infinity product at the boatshow I was sold. Flexiteak is probably the best most classy looks, but damn expensive!
              1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Flexteek IS incredible, but pricey, yes. And like Rob said, the peal and stick material can’t really be compared to the flexteek. But for the price difference, like I said. It was worth a shot and it seems to be a worthwhile compromise that looks better than just throwing a rug I.

The cockpit, the advantage I see with the version of material that I am trying, beside a significant cost savings, is that the geometry allows the water to run off between the planks and will give a less wet walkway, as the grooves between the planks are lower and will keep water from sitting on top o the flooring, if that makes sense. In the past, my carpets would get saturated and not allow the water to run off easily and made the walkway very wet.
                BJ
                OMEGA

Comment

Hi Kubes71,

Like Merlin V, Omega is a 5788. She’s just under 60ft OAL with a beam of 17’2”. The way I laid out the material estimate for my project was, the cockpit and stairs to the bridge takes four 45x96 inch sheets, the swimstep takes four sheets and the bridge takes six sheets along with the residual pieces from the swimstep and such. I bought an extra sheet , just in case.

I figured for the price of less than a grand, it was definitely worth a shot, considering, as I remember I was quoted just under $2500 for just my swimstep for flexteek. I have no idea how much the quote for the whole boat would’ve been....

I hope that helps...
                  BJ
                  OMEGA

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post

I also put bound carpet on the flybridge of my Meridian... but now thinking I should have went with something like Infinity Woven Fabric. I was considering Flexiteak vs. Seadek on the back deck... but once I had a look at the Infinity product at the boatshow I was sold. Flexiteak is probably the best most classy looks, but damn expensive!
                    So what is the woven fabric stuff like? I have never seen it, but did see a vido on sailrite of them binding a piece of it or something similar

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

So what is the woven fabric stuff like? I have never seen it, but did see a vido on sailrite of them binding a piece of it or something similar
                      It's like carpet in that you either snap it in or just lay it in (it has a pretty grippy underside), but it's much better than carpet because you can just spray it down and wash it with a deck brush. It really has a nice feel and look to it. The new high-end Sea Rays at the boat show all had it.

Infinity is an innovative provider of premium floor and wall coverings to the marine, RV, hospitality and contracting industries. Branded as Luxury Woven Vinyl flooring, our offering includes over twenty collections and 200 colors, including the hallmark Seagrass collection.
                      1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Working...
                      X