Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stern Thruster Photos-gctid348681

Hey Guys

The boys down at the boat yard are installing my stern thruster and are saying I might have to alter the steering rod.

Anyone have any photos of a Side Power install on a 4788?

Problem is, lately everyone is taking twice as long and costing twice as much!!!

Thanks

P.S. Bow thruster installed no problems with minimal loss of water on the aft tank and hinging of Bow Sprit almost complete. 3 weeks on the hard stand in the middle of summer is killing me!!
    Allan
    '97 4788 - "Romeo IV"
    Auckland, New Zealand

I am in Mexico right now but will be returning later this week and if nobody is able to send a photo I will try and get down to the boat and take a couple of pics for you.

My unit is a Lewmar, not Sidepower but I really don't think it should make any difference.

My stern thruster needed no mods in regards to anything being altered or moved and fit perfectly between and has been running flawlessly for 4 seasons now.

I do have a couple of pics already posted of when I had the thrusters installed but only of the outside of the bow thruster. If interested the pics are posted under the "Members Photos section, page 8, Coastrider) as well as the mod to our stateroom when we did it as we chose not to re-install the mid-stateroom doors again and have loved that choice ever since..

Cheers,

Marl

"Our Song"

1997 4788

Comment

I don't have any pictures handy either but I had a Side-Power SE 100/185 stern thruster installed in my 1988 4518 back in 2007 and the steering rod did not have to be modified. If memory servers, the thruster is located lower than the steering rod so the rod was probably removed and then reinstalled after the motor went in.

I also recommend that you look into the remote. It was an easy and pretty inexpensive thing to add and I use it all the time. I elected to only have fixed controls installed in the pilothouse and use the remote when I'm using either the flybridge or cockpit controls.

Enjoy,

Jim V.

1988 4518 in Seattle

Comment

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info.

Just been down and talked to the boys again and seen for myself that the steering rod needs modification. Of all the external pictures I have seen, the thruster tunnel is higher than what mine is. They say that Side Power install instruction say a minimum of 200mm centre below the water line. Mine is at 220mm.

We also think that the Lewmar is a smaller size motor housing so that may be why no modifications are required.

As I do most berthing from the Flybridge, stern in, I am installing the fixed boat shaped controller there and having a remote for the Pilothouse. I can then use the remote anywhere, especially when fueling up solo.

After all my modifications are done, I'll post photos in the Members section.

It will be another week before my baby is ready for action!!

4 weeks during summer is a long time to be without her, but it will be worth it.

Guys, please still send me your photo's when you can so I can compare.

Cheers
        Allan
        '97 4788 - "Romeo IV"
        Auckland, New Zealand

Comment

well here are a couple of pics of where my stern thruster is installed.As you can see I required no shaft mods and I have talked to a few guys since and none of them required modsso I guess it has something to do with the thruster you chose.All the guys I talked to had Cummins engines and not Hinos so I don't know if there is a different steering config there

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/652662=24533-IMG-20120203-00254.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/652662=24534-IMG-20120203-00255.jpg[/img]Cheers,Mark"Our Song"1997 4788

Comment

Thanks Mark,

Your unit looks much smaller than the one I have put in.

Looking at the specs of Lewmar vs Sidepower I note that the Sidepower motor unit is about 70mm longer, hence it is almost hitting the steering rod.

The reason I chose Sidepower over Lewmar or Vetus for that matter was the thrust and given the angle of berthing against tidal flow and windage, I went with more thrust.

I'll post photos of the work I have had done over the past 4 weeks, late next week when she's back in the water.

BTW, they just finished the hinged Bow Sprit, it looks great.

Cheers
            Allan
            '97 4788 - "Romeo IV"
            Auckland, New Zealand

Comment

Hi all,

I was at my 4518 today and took a couple pictures of the stern thruster. It looks like the steering rod runs right in front of the SidePower stern thruster motor on my install.

Cheers,

Jim V.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/653070=24600-Stern Thruster1.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/653070=24601-Stern Thruster2.jpg[/img]

Comment

Which model Side power did you go with?

Cheers,

Mark

"Our Song"

1997 4788

Comment

Model SE100/185T Bow and Stern with "Boat Shaped" controller on the Flybridge and a remote for the Pilothouse and everywhere else.

My baby was relaunched today after a month on the hardstand.

The SE100's ran sweetly and it was nice for a change to dock stern-in without the pucker factor!

I can now handle the boat single-handed and the mere thought of going fishing on my own midweek has me excited!
                  Allan
                  '97 4788 - "Romeo IV"
                  Auckland, New Zealand

Comment

I did the bow and stern thruster addition in 2000 with the Sidepower 95T. I had to move the genset exhaust cannister but as you see from the pic, I did not modify the steering at all. I put the dual stick control on both the flybridge and pilothouse, and have the remote as well. I used Optima batteries with echo chargers and installed them so cable is only 2 feet or so (no current drop). I have yet to replace the batteries, and have never run them low enough to see thrusters run slower. good luck!

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/656328=24865-Thrusters 004.jpg[/img]

Comment

for any help with parts onyour thrusters we can help you. here we are at www.sidepowerthruster.com
                      Photo album - Bayliner 3255 Avanti - 1989

Comment

Working...
                      X