Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pumped holding tank, forward Vaccuflush stopped working. Why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pumped holding tank, forward Vaccuflush stopped working. Why?

Greetings! I figured out how to work our marina’s mobile pumpout gear and knew I had to pump the tank. Both toilets working fine. Pumped the holding tank, refilled about half way to “rinse” out the tank. Did that twice. Forward Vaccuflush now no longer working. By that I mean “step on the pedal, open the ball valve, and nothing” - the vacuum does not pull, no pump action. The unit in the hall head works. Step on the pedal, vacuum sucks ou the contents, pump starts and rebuilds the vacuum. Repeat. Still works.

This is a new to is boat and we’ve not had Vaccuflush units before. I have all the manuals here at home and I will start digging thru them in about 30 minutes, but thought I’d do a quick BOC check to see if there is a switch or breaker at the unit that we might have accidentally tripped while cleaning the forward head.

Any ideas?
    Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
    Sammamish WA
    1998 4788 (April 2018)
    ”Knot Home”

Get ready for a real barrel of fun! After about 5 years of service, we had the pleasure of vac u flush maintenance! It's down and dirty and I hope not to go through that ever again! Just find the service manual on line and start in. Good luck. Griff.

Comment

Well, at least it’s the easy one to get to.

If nothing works first step is check the breaker.

From there the power goes through the vacuum pressure switch to the vacuum pump motor.

The pressure switch is in the side of the “tank” it pushes out to turn on the motor and sucks back in to break contact to the motor.

Easy peasy troubleshooting.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...ccu-flush-woes

check for power at the vacuum switch,
        there should be a 12VDC+ inline fuse connected to the switch terminal.
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
        93 3058 sold
        92 2855 (day boat)
        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

Rebuilding a VacuFlush pump is not hard, but it is yucky. Quick and yucky. Thin rubber medical gloves were not helpful. Thick rubber gloves might be better. You might as well plan on cleaning everything up while you are in there. Yuck. Easy though.
          Tally and Vicki
          "Wickus" Meridian 341
          MMSI 338014939

Comment

Check all the electrical stuff first. Most have a fuse down by the actual pump. Check braker. Can you hear it pumping, but nothing is ‘sucking’ when you stand on the foot pedal? Does bowl fill and then slowly empty even when foot pedal is in neutral position?

Serviced both my heads yesterday. Total 8 new duck valves, 2 directly either side of each pump, often difficult to get at. On my boat ducks are 1.5” diameter, some are 2” check what you need before you start. Flush warm soapy water down the head if it will go. Get some big diapers and put them underneath the two tubes either side of the pump. Have extra rags available. Did I mention gloves, even a mask, your call?

Your other source of nothing sucking is the seal located at the bottom of the pedestal. To get at this, turn water off near head, electrical head switch & fresh water pump. Take off the plastic foot pedal cover (2 screws). Take off the pedestal cover (1 screw same side as foot pedal). Detach the freshwater inlet hose (about 0.5” diameter by foot pedal on left facing backwards). Undo large hose clamp top rear of pedestal, push plastic half moon covers out of the way. Toilet will now lift off, place on some waterproof sheet. You’ll see a 6” rubber disk with a notch in it. Take that off & the thin plastic disk underneath. Replace with new seal, thin seal goes on bottom, thick rubber on top. Make sure you align notch at about 5 o’clock position. Plastic half cover, held in place by large hose clamp, should meet at the front and have about 1” gap at the rear. Replace and tighten hose clamp down hard. Re-assemble and test.

In theory it can only be electrical-much preferred;-) Or hydraulic, nasty. If you use you boat a lot you should replace duck bills and seals every 3 to 5 years. Guests on our boat don’t get a saftery lecture, they get a ‘head’ lecture & instructions, then shown a pair of seminal insertion gloves. No feminine hygiene products, no wet wipes, no make up pads. Supervise small children to make sure Dino the dinosaur dosen’t take a swim. And please use minimal toilet paper. Marine heads are a very finicky beast and can be upset at the slightest provocation. Broken head can often mean a trip back to the dock and a disappointing day for skipper, crew and guests.

Machog
            1996 4087 Lazy Days
            2007 Walker Bay Genesis Lazy Mac
            2011 Porsche Cayman
            2010 Lexus IS 250C
            2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Happened to me, twice actually. Really easy fix in my case. The vacufush has only a 1" at best hole at the toilet. Mine was plugged yours may be also. When you open the ball valve via the foot pedal nothing happens because it is plugged, the pump does not start because there is still vacuum due to the plugged orifice. I simply took the toilet brush handle and pushed it through the hole, problem solved.

Sounds odd to have only a 1" opening but this ensures nothing bigger than this enters the system which prevents clogs.

Now if this is not the case, there is a night switch which turns off the unit. Mine is located in the head labeled as night or sleep, can't remember. Basically turns off the pump so it does not start up during the night and wake people. Obviously shuts the system down. There is also a main breaker.
              Cheers, Hans
              2007 Carver 41 CMY
              Twin Volvo D6-370
              Montreal, Canada
              Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Hi Hans

I'am a bit confused about your statement,"1 inch at best" when the toilet flange is 1 1/2 and all hoses,fittings are 1 1/2 .....I agree the OP has an electrical problem fuse/CB.
                just confused I guess.....Brad
                Brad & Sharon
                Lady Jake
                1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Well, I’ll have to give Midnightsun the trophy. After running the boat down from Skyline to Everett I decided to give it “just one more try” (yes, insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results). It worked! Of course the. The process highlighted the occasional sealing problem in the aft head! A little more brushing the seal and putting some cooking oil into the water and flushing seemed to work as a temp fix.

The pumpout process must somehow caused a blockage and simple vibration from being under way dislodged it. I guess. Well, now on to installing two service kits and considering whether or not to invest in a pump upgrade.

Thanks for all the input. I hope these comments have helped others as well.
                  Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                  Sammamish WA
                  1998 4788 (April 2018)
                  ”Knot Home”

Comment

Originally posted by brad4550 View Post
                    Hi Hans

I'am a bit confused about your statement,"1 inch at best" when the toilet flange is 1 1/2 and all hoses,fittings are 1 1/2 .....I agree the OP has an electrical problem fuse/CB.
                    just confused I guess.....Brad
                    Yes all the hoses are 1-1/2" heck even my vent hose is 1-1/2" however if you flush with your foot and look down at the visible hole, you will see the right behind the ball there is only a 1" opening which I am referring to. The part is called a funnel and is sold as a funnel kit. Funnel as the descriptive wording indicates. Take a look at this https://www.searay-parts.com/Vacuflu...l%20sealki.htm which is what you see when you open the ball to flush (funnel) the hole in this is only an inch at best. hope that clears up the confusion.

The design is actually pretty smart because whatever you can flush through the 1" funnel hole, will definitely flow without restriction through the 1-1/2" tubing.
                    Cheers, Hans
                    2007 Carver 41 CMY
                    Twin Volvo D6-370
                    Montreal, Canada
                    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Working...
                    X