Fueling a 4788-gctid404507

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fueling a 4788-gctid404507

It seems the folks that designed the 4788 Never actually had to fuel one up.What do you do to fill the tank furthest from the dock?Ive tried it by pulling the hose through Both windows, and from both the pilot house and the cockpit. Now I'm thinking of using the built in transfer pump.Any other ideas???

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Turn the boat around;-)
    Capt. Ron.
    "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
    "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
    1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
    Hino EH700
    Westerbeke 8.0
    1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
    on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

What specific problem are you having? I put the starboard side to the fuel dock, fill that side, and then run the hose through the windows to the port side. This was technique was originally recommended here by mmichelich.

Access through the galley window to the port side is a bit easier than reaching over the wet bar to the starboard side. I'm able to lean out the window, attach the overflow-catch bottle to the vent, and open the filler with little problem.

Comment

Open up the two front salon windows (each side) and pass the hose and nozzle through the boat. cover the nozzle with a towel to keep boat clean. Wife has to remove canisters to do it. I will not stand on my head to fill the boat. Sometimes when not in a hurry will turn the boat around, but that is rare.
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Thanks guys

I do the hose through the gally thing.

It works, but it would be great if there was a better way.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Dragging a fuel hose through the interior of a boat sounds like a disaster, especially since the hose is heavy and there's 15' between windows.

Have you considered adding a fill for the opposite side tank, so you can fill both from one side? I added an additional shore power outlet to the opposite side and it has worked well.

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
              Dragging a fuel hose through the interior of a boat sounds like a disaster, especially since the hose is heavy and there's 15' between windows.

Have you considered adding a fill for the opposite side tank, so you can fill both from one side? I added an additional shore power outlet to the opposite side and it has worked well.
              It isn't really hard to get hose thru boat but does require someone on dock and inside to get hose in without any issues,then same on exit. Windows open wide. Nothing in the way. Stand upright while filling with arm out the window. Easy to hear when getting full, actually easier than dockside filler.
              Started boating 1965

Comment

I've gone through the pilothouse doors every time.

Didn't consider going through the windows, but one drop of diesel in the salon and my name would be mud.
                Pat
                Paragon
                1999 4788

Comment

Thanks to mmichellich we learned about the through the salon/galley method and have used it for the last four fill-ups. It's easy, and we haven't spilled a drop inside. Just hold the nozzle pointing up when moving it though the salon/galley.
                  Mike
                  "Allante I" Rayburn 75
                  Previous: '97 4788

Comment

I use the through the salon method. It's much easier then the PH or turning the boat.

I've never spilled.

I've thought about putting in a transfer pump.

I normally fill at about half tanks. If you pumped one side to the other and only had one tank to fill it would be a lot easier.

This would be a good thing if you picked up a load of bad fuel. It would isolate it in one tank.

You would probably have to put in a float valve so you didn't overflow the receiving tank.

Comment

Pacrimrat wrote:
                      I use the through the salon method. It's much easier then the PH or turning the boat.

I've never spilled.

I've thought about putting in a transfer pump.

I normally fill at about half tanks. If you pumped one side to the other and only had one tank to fill it would be a lot easier.

This would be a good thing if you picked up a load of bad fuel. It would isolate it in one tank.

You would probably have to put in a float valve so you didn't overflow the receiving tank.
                      My boat has a transfer pump from the factory it appears. This is in lou of the valving arrangement for fuel pickup and return.

I'm going to give it a try and see how long it takes to move fuel over.

The salon/galley hose method is OK, but if the transfer pump is quick then it might be the ticket. It would just require two people, one to watch the fuel vent catch bottle.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

One other possibility Kevin is a passive cross-connect. Mine has a low-point 1.5" hose that runs from tank to tank, valved at both ends and the middle. I can open the valves and the fuel will gravity from one tank to another in just moments.
                        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I'm with Ishiboo, dragging a diesel fuel hose through the pilothouse or the salon is a disaster waiting to happen.

Fortunately, in Whittier, Shoreside Petroleum has long enough fueling hoses that I can reach the far fuel inlet by taking the hose in front of or behind the pilothouse of the 45.

See if your fuel dealer plans on replacing their fueling hoses in the future and if they might be putting in longer hoses.

Darby

Comment

A little off topic, but if you want to transfer fuel from one tank to the other, and you don't have a transfer pump, but do have the normal manifold allowing fuel pick-up and return from either tank, simply draw fuel from both engines (when operating) out of one tank and put the fuel return from both engines to the other tank. Fuel will transfer to the other "return" tank amazingly fast. if you do this, keep a close eye on the fuel tanks.
                            Mike
                            "Allante I" Rayburn 75
                            Previous: '97 4788

Comment

rrdarby wrote:
                              I'm with Ishiboo, dragging a diesel fuel hose through the pilothouse or the salon is a disaster waiting to happen.

Fortunately, in Whittier, Shoreside Petroleum has long enough fueling hoses that I can reach the far fuel inlet by taking the hose in front of or behind the pilothouse of the 45.

See if your fuel dealer plans on replacing their fueling hoses in the future and if they might be putting in longer hoses.

Darby
                              The issue is not hose length, but having to stand with your head at knee level while filling the damn side off the dock. Have been filling thru windows for 17 years with no issues. Hold only the spout with a bilge diaper, keep away from rest of handle/trigger, while going across galley.
                              Started boating 1965

Comment

Working...
                              X