Name:	sensors.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	420663Click image for larger version

Name:	sensors open.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	420664
    I replaced all gauges on both helms with Faria gauges. I added fuel gauges to the upper helm.
    Before the change over, only the lower temp gauges worked. After change over, the upper port temp gauge works & the lower starboard gauge works.
    I have since learned that the coolant sensor needs to be Faria compatible and dual station.
    I have located the new sensor but not the old ones. The attached pictures (yes, I figured out how to attach) show the existing sensors.
    The yellow arrows point to two covered sensors; the red arrows point to two uncovered sensors.

Question - which arrow points to the coolant sensor? Left or right?
    I am guessing left but what is right?

1997 Cummins 5.9L 6BT 315 HP (port engine shown)

You can test which one is correct by taking the wire off the sensor and grounding it and the meter should peg. Be sure you have good ground.
    Ron O'Blenis
    B 38 175 Hinos 1989
    Completed Great Loop
    https://ronandfaye.blogspot.com/

Comment

• scubadiver3988
      scubadiver3988 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Do you know what the right sensor is or does?

Thirs picture from the top: https://www.sbmar.com/articles/sendi...arine-diesels/
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by scubadiver3988 View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	sensors.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	420663Click image for larger version

Name:	sensors open.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	420664
      I replaced all gauges on both helms with Faria gauges. I added fuel gauges to the upper helm.
      Before the change over, only the lower temp gauges worked. After change over, the upper port temp gauge works & the lower starboard gauge works.
      I have since learned that the coolant sensor needs to be Faria compatible and dual station.
      I have located the new sensor but not the old ones. The attached pictures (yes, I figured out how to attach) show the existing sensors.
      The yellow arrows point to two covered sensors; the red arrows point to two uncovered sensors.

Question - which arrow points to the coolant sensor? Left or right?
      I am guessing left but what is right?

1997 Cummins 5.9L 6BT 315 HP (port engine shown)
      i know this is an old thread, did you ever find out the sensors? i need to get my gauges working again.

Thanks Mike
      3988 Cummins

Comment

• scubadiver3988
        scubadiver3988 commented
        Editing a comment
        yellow and red arrows pointing down, point to water temp sensor. yellow is port; red is starboard. oil sending unit is on the port side of the engine. when ordering sending units be sure to get dual station sensors. different resistance. have not figured out what up arrows are pointing at.

My stbd has no temp reading. Do you know of a sutiable replacement to work with the oem gauge?
      3988 Cummins

Comment

• scubadiver3988
        scubadiver3988 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry this has taken so long. I was never notified I had a msg.
        This is what I learned about temp gauges - there can be only 3 things causing a problem:
        the gauge itself; the sending unit; the wires. On my boat I replaced the sending unit and the gauge. The sending unit must be dual helm compatible and work with your gauges. I used Faria gauges and purchased mine through Go2marine.
    Working...
    X