looking for canvas-gctid404009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for canvas-gctid404009

I'm looking to replace and update the canvas on my 3258. Can anyone recommend a canvas supplier around Seattle. I have asked for bids from 2 different sources. The first staggered me, and the second won't call us back. figure I'd ask the experts before I wasted anymore time. Thanks for any help

Churchill Brothers in Everett is the best in the area, but they're not cheap and it's all custom. Where is your boat located?

Give them a call and ask for Tony. Tell him Mike recommended them.
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Barrett in seattle does good work but is pricy and slow.
      2000 Bayliner 3988 270hp Cummins 6BTA5.9M1
      1996 Cobalt 252 Mercruiser 383

Comment

nw-cruising wrote:
        Bpricy and slow.
        Those two seem to go hand in hand when talking canvas work.

The really good ones are in high demand and stay busy.

iBoatNW

Comment

The boat is in lake union about a block form the AGC? building. Right now we are squatters in a temp slip. Our slip opens up in a couple of weeks. Used to keep my boat at Edmonds in the dry stack when I was pulling it back and forth from Idaho. My son moved to Magnoila and we bought this 3258. No more trailering. Will miss Edmonds though. What a GREAT place. I was replacing the canvas. Bimini, flybridge cover and window shades. The one price we got wouldn't leave change for McDonalds from 5 grand. Maybe that's reasonable for around there, but sounded high to me. I thought airplanes were an expensive hobby but PNW cruisers are right up there. I'll give these other people a call.

Comment

You're probably not far off the mark. Just the stainless for my flybridge enclosure has set me back $1300 so far. It's good material and difficult to work with, but good canvas costs good money.

I'm sewing my own bimini and enclosure.

iBoatNW

Comment

Try King Marine in Seattle

Comment

Try Letas Top Shop in Seattle

Comment

Thanks for the help. Ill be over there thursday working on the boat and I'll give them a call and see what comes of it. I'm going to stop down to our local canvas guy here in Idaho and see if he can build what I need using the old unit for a pattern and what it would cost. They do great work and are not busy. We used to have half dozen canvas guys and a dozen boat dealers. Now there is only one canvas guy and a couple or three boat dealers. Economy has wiped them out. It will be interesting to compare price. Thanks again

Comment

Leta's Top Shop is not in Seattle, it's in Arlington. She is usually about half what other shops charge. Check her out.

I have had many pieces done by her and I find the quality to be very good. She also is one of the only shops I have found that will use your old canvas as a template. I sent my old bimini top and cockpit top down to her and the new ones fit perfect. $1,000.0 for both pieces for my 38 Bayliner.

Comment

=1 on Leta's just had my boat canvas all replaced, the other places are double the amount and ding you for every little item........ Had my sun pad done by Churchills good job buy double the cost and took them a month to do and this is with me taking it in to their shop .......... Dee Dee looked at it when she did my canvas ( Leta's Daughter ) and asked me how much I paid, She will be doing my cushions for the Salon this fall given her prices........

Comment

If you are interested in seeing the quality of Leta's work by all means stop by my boat. All I'm going to say is you get what you pay for. If all you are looking for is cheap, then by all means go to Leta. Once you have paid up, good luck getting them to come back and fix the problems. I gave up after almost a year.....

Comment

Try this link to Scott's Custom Canvas, located in Everett. Again, not the cheapest, but he has done some good work for me in the past.

http://www.scottscustomcanvas.com/

BTW, no relation.

Comment

Stray Cat,

What kind of problems? My canvas is a good as any other's I have seen. I've had 2 other shop do work for me in the past and I find Leta's quality to be better that both of the others for way less in price.

Plus she does things I never even heard of before. I ordered a small filler piece from my radar arch to the rear top of my bimini. It's 13 feet long x about 1 1/2 feet. I had the heavier vinyl put in.

When the package was delivered to my front door about a week after I placed the order, the box not only contained the piece I ordered, it was also wrapped in a large piece of matching Sunbrella. I used the extra piece to make a couple of storage bags and 2 flag tubes. It also came with the snaps and believe or not, an adjustable hole punch tool and a snap installing tool.

The invoice was for $75.00. I called her and said that was too cheap and I sent down $125.00 as I thought that's what I figured it was worth considering the extra tools and material.

If anyone wants to take a look at what you get for an unheard of good price, super fast service and a friendly person on the other end of the phone, stop by my boat for a cocktail and a look see.

Something doesn't sound right here!!

If that's bad workmanship and bad service, well I guess I'm just an idiot!!

Comment

Johnny Vintage wrote:
                              Stray Cat,

What kind of problems? My canvas is a good as any other's I have seen. I've had 2 other shop do work for me in the past and I find Leta's quality to be better that both of the others for way less in price.

Plus she does things I never even heard of before. I ordered a small filler piece from my radar arch to the rear top of my bimini. It's 13 feet long x about 1 1/2 feet. I had the heavier vinyl put in.

When the package was delivered to my front door about a week after I placed the order, the box not only contained the piece I ordered, it was also wrapped in a large piece of matching Sunbrella. I used the extra piece to make a couple of storage bags and 2 flag tubes. It also came with the snaps and believe or not, an adjustable hole punch tool and a snap installing tool.

The invoice was for $75.00. I called her and said that was too cheap and I sent down $125.00 as I thought that's what I figured it was worth considering the extra tools and material.

If anyone wants to take a look at what you get for an unheard of good price, super fast service and a friendly person on the other end of the phone, stop by my boat for a cocktail and a look see.

Something doesn't sound right here!!

If that's bad workmanship and bad service, well I guess I'm just an idiot!!
                              There are a number of issues. I'll PM you if you would like. I really don't want to get into all of them in this forum. I know others have been happy with them for small jobs, but this job was I guess a little too much for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X