Galley Sink Drain Odor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galley Sink Drain Odor

When we were out this past weekend we noticed that there's a foul odor coming up the sink drains in the galley. Anyone have a good suggestion for how to remedy this without replacing all the drain lines? I suspect it has to do with sea water back-washing into the drain thru-hull and the little bit that gets in there sitting and creating the smell. Any advice would be great!
    James
    2000 4788 | "Freedom"
    Gig Harbor, WA
    11' Novurania w/40hp Yamaha
    Cummins 330's and Westerbeke 8kw
    Hull Extension, Chines and Hardtop

This problem occurred when we had the 490. After making sure that there are no blockages using a snake, we blocked the through-hull for the drain line and added a hefty dose of Zaal Noflex Digester and topped up with water. It took a couple of treatments, but it cleaned up all of the odors in two days.
    https://www.marinesan.com/Noflex-digestor-p/noflex.htm
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

Comment

Is there anyway to reroute it or raise the thruhull? On my 32xx it was a very short and all downhill run, so no way for water to get trapped anywhere.
      Esteban
      Huntington Beach, California
      2018 Element 16
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
      Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

• MerlinV
        MerlinV commented
        Editing a comment
        It would be difficult to change the drain line without much reworking. I think one of the main issues here is that there are 2 sinks in the galley, and the cross tube between the two drains gets gunked up fairly quickly.

Originally posted by MerlinV View Post
      This problem occurred when we had the 490. After making sure that there are no blockages using a snake, we blocked the through-hull for the drain line and added a hefty dose of Zaal Noflex Digester and topped up with water. It took a couple of treatments, but it cleaned up all of the odors in two days.
      https://www.marinesan.com/Noflex-digestor-p/noflex.htm
      Great suggestion. As luck would have it, I just got 4 bottles of Noflex last week to use in the holding tank. I'll give this a go! What did you use for plugging the thru-hull?
      James
      2000 4788 | "Freedom"
      Gig Harbor, WA
      11' Novurania w/40hp Yamaha
      Cummins 330's and Westerbeke 8kw
      Hull Extension, Chines and Hardtop

Comment

• MerlinV
        MerlinV commented
        Editing a comment
        I used aluminum tape - the really awkward stuff where the backing has to peel off. It adheres really well to itself and almost anything else where there's no oil or grease present
    Working...
    X