New Davits on 38?-gctid403705

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Davits on 38?-gctid403705

I just purchased a new steering Console Walker Bay 10 1/2 foot RIB dinghy. My old Achilies RIB was 9.2 feet and with motor weighed under 200 pounds. I have a home made type davit system, it consists of two stainless steel half circle davits through bolted on the swim step and a Weaver Wench rated at 400#'s on the fly bridge. The davits have a rope attached on each that you cross underneath the dinghy and apply pressure to each end while lifting the dingy.

With this set up I needed two people to lift the dingy. So in each corner of the fly bridge I installed a Swivel Cam Base http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...5#.UBLc0qPdfYg which allows me to pull the lines tight and work the wench while standing on the fly bridge ladder eliminating the need for a second person.

The new dinghy is going to weigh in at about 400# and I am hoping my current system will suffice for the time being. I take delivery of the new boat next Wednesday 8/1/2012 so I will not know if my davits can handle it or not until then. I have done my research and I think I have a decent chance of my current system working. If it does not work I am having bottom paint put on the dinghy so I can leave it in the water while I work on a new davit system which leads to my question:

What is the best davit system to put on my 38's swim step for a 400# console RIB? Ideally we would like something under $2k and small enough that we can still sit on the swim step while moored up, we like to get some sun with legs in the water or go for swims and climb back up the ladder. So I guess what is the best bang for the buck on davits? Any suggestions, comments, reply's would be appreciated.

I have the same sort of setup. Prior to adding a 4 stroke and the helm was using the Weaver davits (arc in back and pad in front) along with a pulley system attached to the hard top to pull it up. This year I had a mount made for a 12v winch and mounted that to the underside of the hardtop to pull it up. It makes raising and lowing that much easier.

I would love to get a seawise but they want way too much for those. We don't want to have the davit block the swimstep when the dinghy is in the water and that is why we have stayed with the weaver. I now have a front arc to take the weight off the tube.

Good luck.
    Sean
    Current: 1990 4588 Crimson Pride
    Past: 1987 3870 Crimson Pride II
    Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
    MMSI: 338080226

Comment

[ I now have a front arc to take the weight off the tube.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a Picture of the front Arc? The weight on the tubes is a problem and I would love to see how you help distribute it, Anyway thanks for the reply

Comment

I will look and see if I have a photo...otherwise I will take one and post. I really like the new front arc.
        Sean
        Current: 1990 4588 Crimson Pride
        Past: 1987 3870 Crimson Pride II
        Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
        MMSI: 338080226

Comment

Working...
        X