Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4788 prop shaft question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    4788 prop shaft question

    Does anyone know the size of socket needed to fit the nut on the coupler end of the propellor shaft?
    With the propellor off, can the coupling and shaft be moved back far enough to get a socket in there or does the motor need to be raised?
    Stan
    2001 Bayliner 4788
    Underhulls
    Bow & Stern Thrusters
    Hydronic heater
    330 Cummins

    #2
    I bought a large Crescent type wrench from harbor freight, they have 18" ($19.99) 2 1/8" and 24" ($29.99) 2 1/2" opening.

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AapL9sozECnDOK
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

    Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by stanfromhell View Post
      Does anyone know the size of socket needed to fit the nut on the coupler end of the propellor shaft?
      With the propellor off, can the coupling and shaft be moved back far enough to get a socket in there or does the motor need to be raised?
      If you are speaking about the coupling near the transmission I believe it is 18mm (from memory please check) . I have removed the 5 bolts with an 18mm stubby wrench on one side (inside) and an open end on the other for reach. If memory serves me well you cannot get a socket or box wrench on the 'larger' outside of the coupling.
      Northport NY

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by boatworkfl View Post
        I bought a large Crescent type wrench from harbor freight, they have 18" ($19.99) 2 1/8" and 24" ($29.99) 2 1/2" opening.

        https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AapL9sozECnDOK
        The coupling nuts are recessed and a crescent will not work no matter which he is referring to.
        Northport NY

        Comment


          #5
          I was referring to the large nut which is on the treaded end of the prop shaft and which holds the coupling half tight on the shaft. The six bolts holding the coupling half to the output flange are 5/8 NF and 15/16 open end wrenches are the only way to get into the tight space in order to loosen them. (about 1/8 turn at a time.)
          Stan
          2001 Bayliner 4788
          Underhulls
          Bow & Stern Thrusters
          Hydronic heater
          330 Cummins

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by stanfromhell View Post
            I was referring to the large nut which is on the treaded end of the prop shaft and which holds the coupling half tight on the shaft. The six bolts holding the coupling half to the output flange are 5/8 NF and 15/16 open end wrenches are the only way to get into the tight space in order to loosen them. (about 1/8 turn at a time.)
            Got it, but if you need a prop nut wrench my suggestion will work, it is what I use.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

            Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

            Comment


              #7
              You need a 1 13/16" short thin wall socket, probably only available in 3/4 drive. The nut is a nylock type. On most boats you can get the nut off without removing the propeller.
              84-38,,86-38,,89-45,,97-47,,99-47,,01-47,,gone,,,now,,05-540 meridian,,sidney,,vancouver island.

              Comment

              Working...
              X