Seat rebuild, 3818

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat rebuild, 3818

I'm rebuilding abd recovering the seats on my fly bridge. The base boxes are so rotten that I'm having trouble figuring the exact height they should be. Especially because thet are shorter to the front and taller in the rear to accommodate the pitch of the deck, and they seem to be an inch and a half or so taller for and shorter aft. Anyone know where I might find actual dimensions for the bases or can measure your good seats at the corners? Any advice is appreciated

Fore

Comment

Shovinoff,

Here's something to consider as an alternative. I am facing the same dilemma with my flyrbridge seat. However, someone recommended that we look at using ready-made pontoon boat seats and after a little research have determined that is the best way to go by far. Check out https://www.wiseseats.com/pontoon-furniture and see if that might work for you.
      David and Beth
      Seattle Area - Berthed in La Conner

1986 Bayliner 3870 "Hokey Pokey"

1995 SeaRay 20 Signature "Flapdoodle"
      1993 Bayliner 3058 "SeaYa"

Comment

I bought pontoon seats - they sit a bit higher and are far more comfortable than the originals. Cost was way less than what it was going to cost to get new covers made.

www.pontoonstuff.com

The crown for leveling them out was very close to 1.5" and to make things simple I used a piece of standard 2x2 material as my shim on the outboard side. To prevent water intrusion I sealed up that 2x2 and then bonded it to the floor and then anchored the seats to those pieces of wood.
        1989 3888
        Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I have been a upholster for 49 yrs and I rebuilt the the seats on our 32xx. totally wish I would have bought pontoon seats, could have saved a lot of weight and room and time and money
          1988 3270
          135 hinos
          Seldovia ALASKA
          KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
          KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
          Marine canvas/Upholstery
          since 1975

Comment

Thought about pontoons but couldn't figure out the fit. Some brands would fit good port but not starboard and vice versa. I thought they would extend too far into the ladder landing. Anyone having pictures to share would be awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Shovinoff View Post
              I'm rebuilding abd recovering the seats on my fly bridge. The base boxes are so rotten that I'm having trouble figuring the exact height they should be. Especially because thet are shorter to the front and taller in the rear to accommodate the pitch of the deck, and they seem to be an inch and a half or so taller for and shorter aft. Anyone know where I might find actual dimensions for the bases or can measure your good seats at the corners? Any advice is appreciated

I rebuilt mine as they were rotten as is yours. You can get the dimensions if you carefully utilize the old ones for a pattern. I was able to save a fair amount of the upper portions of the base structure by sistering in plywood. I did an additional step of adding a 2x3 on edge to the base to raise the seat height some. I cut the 2x3 to have an angle that matched the based on the inboard side. The 2x3 also shields the plywood edges from being in contact with the floor. Made the seat much more comfortable and the storage space underneath will now accommodate quart bottles standing up.
              I also cut the back portion of the starboard seat off and made the starboard side mirror the port side. Lots of room in the aft portion for stowing things - and I think it looks really good

My wife did the fabric over. We are very pleased with finished look and function of the seats. In particular the Admiral wanted me to save the forward facing seats on each side that the stock seats have. We are glad for the effort we put into it

I too looked at fabricated furniture but didn't find anything that I thought would be as good as the factory lay out

Comment

The pontoon seats look like the backredt will extend about 6 inches above the rail. Does this look goody?

Comment

Goofy

Comment

Pics
                    1988 3818
                    EH 700
                    Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone! Pix still welcomed. Jau

Comment

Hi, yes. I too am looking at upgrading my 38 flybridge. So any photo's or information would be most welcome...

Comment

More pic's

1988 3818
                          EH 700
                          Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Freezer
                            1988 3818
                            EH 700
                            Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Originally posted by RDOIII View Post

I rebuilt mine as they were rotten as is yours. You can get the dimensions if you carefully utilize the old ones for a pattern. I was able to save a fair amount of the upper portions of the base structure by sistering in plywood. I did an additional step of adding a 2x3 on edge to the base to raise the seat height some. I cut the 2x3 to have an angle that matched the based on the inboard side. The 2x3 also shields the plywood edges from being in contact with the floor. Made the seat much more comfortable and the storage space underneath will now accommodate quart bottles standing up.
                              I also cut the back portion of the starboard seat off and made the starboard side mirror the port side. Lots of room in the aft portion for stowing things - and I think it looks really good

My wife did the fabric over. We are very pleased with finished look and function of the seats. In particular the Admiral wanted me to save the forward facing seats on each side that the stock seats have. We are glad for the effort we put into it

I too looked at fabricated furniture but didn't find anything that I thought would be as good as the factory lay out

Here are some photos of our rebuild seats. Sorry for the poor lighting as the boat is in storage.
                              You can notice that the backs of the seats are above the top of the dash from the addition of the 2x3 to the base. They were originally even with the dash.

RDO

Comment

Working...
                              X