3988 projects-gctid403484

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3988 projects-gctid403484

I have a couple projects on my list and one is to reduce the amount of noise the potable water pump is making. It cycles a ton which I know I could reduce with a pressure accumulator. I'm curious if others find their pump very noisy and what if anything they have done to fix it. We have our 10 week old sleep in the guest stateroom and the noise from the pump is waking him up.

Also along the lines of the locker cutouts many 3988 owners do along the sides I was thinking of doing something similar on the inside of the back of the transom. Anyone know if this would substantially weaken the transom? Has anyone done this?

Eventually we want to get a center console aluminium AB dingy with probably a 40hp motor. I am assuming with a center console the dingy would need to be mounted upright as opposed to on its side. Ideally we would like to keep the swim step as open as possible while at dock. Do people have solutions they recommend or don't recommend?

On the long list of little things to do is add a AC outlet on the flybridge, more 12v outlets in the salon, storage cabinet behind the starboard engine, replace the blinds at some point.

Does anyone know if there is a way to access the area under the salon seating next to the lower helm. There is a drawer under one seat but the other seat seems like it should be able to have storage under it but no easy way to access it.

Thanks for any help,
    2000 Bayliner 3988 270hp Cummins 6BTA5.9M1
    1996 Cobalt 252 Mercruiser 383

Are several choices for the pump noise attenuation. First, get a variable speed pump. It runs quietly until you draw large volumes of water such as a shower.

Second, a buffer tank to greatly decrease the frequency of operation. But still justt as noisy when it does run.

Third, a belt driven pump (plus the buffer) which is quite civil.

The buffer alone is cheapest. The big belt driven pump plus buffer is the dearest being about US$350 maybe more. The variable speed is probably the nicest. the name is ParMax or SeaMax or SomethingMax.

Comment

The area under the seating opposite the lower helm is actually headroom for the mid cabin. No, you can't use that volume.

t

Comment

nw-cruising wrote:
        I have a couple projects on my list and one is to reduce the amount of noise the potable water pump is making. It cycles a ton which I know I could reduce with a pressure accumulator. I'm curious if others find their pump very noisy and what if anything they have done to fix it. We have our 10 week old sleep in the guest stateroom and the noise from the pump is waking him up.

Also along the lines of the locker cutouts many 3988 owners do along the sides I was thinking of doing something similar on the inside of the back of the transom. Anyone know if this would substantially weaken the transom? Has anyone done this?

Eventually we want to get a center console aluminium AB dingy with probably a 40hp motor. I am assuming with a center console the dingy would need to be mounted upright as opposed to on its side. Ideally we would like to keep the swim step as open as possible while at dock. Do people have solutions they recommend or don't recommend?

On the long list of little things to do is add a AC outlet on the flybridge, more 12v outlets in the salon, storage cabinet behind the starboard engine, replace the blinds at some point.

Does anyone know if there is a way to access the area under the salon seating next to the lower helm. There is a drawer under one seat but the other seat seems like it should be able to have storage under it but no easy way to access it.

Thanks for any help,
        Wow...energetic aren't you?? You want to come practice on my 3988 to make sure you get it right for yours?? :0)

I try to use as much as my spare time as possible boating rather than working on my 3988. I have spent most of my free time in the last 2.5 weeks trying to rectify my "water in diesel tanks" issue and missed my annual trip to Desolation Sound because of it...however...not wanting to sound bitter and negative....

The water pump is damned noisy but it only cycles when when water is turned on or the ice maker cycles so I put it way down on my list..

The previous owner added an AC outlet to the flybridge which is indeed handy.

My tender sits on the bow and has a Roskelly Olssen davit installed to raise and lower it (boat came from Southern California where deep sea fishing ensures no tenders on the swim grid.)

An acquaintance of mine with a 3988 added 3 teak shelves to the mid berth closet and uses it for a pantry which I see as a huge benefit especially for the longer cruises.

Have fun and enjoy

Comment

On our 4588 the fresh water pump is actually a 120 volt pump operated off the inverter. The pump is much larger and quieter than the marine style pumps. With the accumulator tank in the system, you can run the water for a considerable time before the pump comes on and then it only takes 30-45 seconds to recharge the accumulator the shuts off. All this while the water is still running.

Two things that can quiet the pump down more than anything:

1) Good rubber isolators between the pump mount and the deck surface and don't overtighten the screws as the tighter they are the less dampening effect the isolators have.

2) Too often the flat surfaces that Bayliner provides for us to mount the pumps on are hollow platforms that level the slope of the hull out to provide us with the mounting surface. You can add a board also isolated between the pump and the platform so that the pump is mounted to the board and the board to the deck or find a different place that is not a hollow speaker box to mount the pump.
          Patrick and Patti
          4588 Pilothouse 1991
          12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
          M/V "Paloma"
          MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Thanks for the response. I was a little worried that just replacing the pump with something with better vibration dampening would still be loud due to the mounting surface. I also probably would have overtightened if you hadn't said something about that. It sounds like a pressue accumulator would be the simpilest soulution to the problem followed by adding a mounting plate undwr the pump. I rarely use the inverter so the 120v option is not for me but thanks for the suggestion. I also need tolook more into the belt and variable speed pumps. Solving this is my highest priority because it wakes up the baby.

Has anyone installed wiper delays on their windshield wipers? If so is it pretty easy. The admiral would also like a switch for the port wiper on her side so thats also on the list.

I'd love to add an on/off swith for the exhaust heaters (I think that's what they're called) I find I'm oftem unable to get up to and rpm where they turn off for longer than i'd like and I think it's not great for the batteries. Has anyone added a switch for these?

Whenever I hear of bow mounting the dingy I've also heard it blocks visibility such that the lower helm isn't useable. I like using the lower helm so if that's true that's an option i'd have to rule out.

For those of youwith ac on the flybridge where is theoutlet located?

The area under the seating I'm talking about is on thesame plane as the drawer down there just on the other part of the L. Seems like a small drawer could fit in there. It didn't look tome like itwas part of the headroom below.

Papa Charlie wrote:
            On our 4588 the fresh water pump is actually a 120 volt pump operated off the inverter. The pump is much larger and quieter than the marine style pumps. With the accumulator tank in the system, you can run the water for a considerable time before the pump comes on and then it only takes 30-45 seconds to recharge the accumulator the shuts off. All this while the water is still running.

Two things that can quiet the pump down more than anything:

1) Good rubber isolators between the pump mount and the deck surface and don't overtighten the screws as the tighter they are the less dampening effect the isolators have.

2) Too often the flat surfaces that Bayliner provides for us to mount the pumps on are hollow platforms that level the slope of the hull out to provide us with the mounting surface. You can add a board also isolated between the pump and the platform so that the pump is mounted to the board and the board to the deck or find a different place that is not a hollow speaker box to mount the pump.

Comment

The variable speed potable water pump would quiet things down a little but comes at a price.

Before investing serious cash, remove the hard(ish) plastic lines on each side of the pump, and replace them with soft flexible clear tubing that's available almost anywhere. You will be amazed at the noise reduction.
              Rob
              Bayliner 5788
              'Merlin V'
              Vancouver BC

Comment

OK, here are some projects rom my boat.

Engine room storage, to port of the hatch

Before

After

Hanging locker shelves in cedar and formica

Heat in head,,,,warm towels too

Quiet water pump

"Adios Dinero"
                1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
                Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Articulated mount for 32 inch tv so you can still use the cabinets

Folding dinghy davits

"Adios Dinero"

Comment

Gary, I love the folding davits. May I ask where you purchased them. Also, what is the line and tap under your pump in the cave?

cheers

Comment

Peter, they are Forespar folding davits. I ordered two one inch grab handles and attatched them to the transom with big backing plates. I had to cut and install three inspection plates in the inner transom bulkhead to do this. The davit attaches to the grab handles and the base plates on the swim platform. Pull one pin on each and they fold into each other and one bolt each on the swim platform and they remove completely leaving only the grab handles, which are always handy to have. The port davit also will swing out over the water so I can lift the outboard motor onto the swim platform because these new 4 strokes are heavy and I don't need to wreck my back. All in the davits and parts were about $1750 and the hardest part was sourcing one inch grab handles. Everybody carried 3/4 inch but no one inch. The pad eye snugs the inflatable in to the boat when we travel. It worked well on two big trips.

The line under the pump is a bypass line. When I am hooked up to shore water I can open the tap and fill the water tank without getting out the hose. Since I am a liveaboard all winter it is a lot easier and warmer to do it this way using my heated shorewater line rather than struggling with a frozen hose.

"Adios Dinero"

Comment

Great solutions. Just curious if anyone else has had this happen to them. While refilling the potable water I just left the hose in and waited to hear water running over. I got a little busy and didnt get back to pull the hose out immediately. When I went down below I found the plastic water tank had over filled bulging out to break the wood support beam and push the centerline have of the bead up into the room a fair ways. The tank wasnt obviously damaged or leaking so I just turned on the taps and released some of the water while sitting on the tank and pushing down. It went back into shape and appears no worse for wear but definitely not what I was expecting. Has this happened to anyone else?

The Other Gary wrote:
                        Peter, they are Forespar folding davits. I ordered two one inch grab handles and attatched them to the transom with big backing plates. I had to cut and install three inspection plates in the inner transom bulkhead to do this. The davit attaches to the grab handles and the base plates on the swim platform. Pull one pin on each and they fold into each other and one bolt each on the swim platform and they remove completely leaving only the grab handles, which are always handy to have. The port davit also will swing out over the water so I can lift the outboard motor onto the swim platform because these new 4 strokes are heavy and I don't need to wreck my back. All in the davits and parts were about $1750 and the hardest part was sourcing one inch grab handles. Everybody carried 3/4 inch but no one inch. The pad eye snugs the inflatable in to the boat when we travel. It worked well on two big trips.

The line under the pump is a bypass line. When I am hooked up to shore water I can open the tap and fill the water tank without getting out the hose. Since I am a liveaboard all winter it is a lot easier and warmer to do it this way using my heated shorewater line rather than struggling with a frozen hose.

Comment

Water pump noise during day not an issue with me, however at night is a different issue. I flip up ice bail on ice maker to keep machine from cycling at night!

Comment

Hi Gary. Thanks for that. After posting I spent a bit more google time and Defender had 3 units. Edson Forspar and Kingston. From my observation, the Forespar seems the better. When you cut the inspection plates, may I ask where you did them? I am assuming one for each of the handles, and the 3rd for the base of the 2 supporting rods. I also assume that you cut them reasonably high. I think some one esle has asked if any one has put storage units in the transom. That would achieve 2 benefits. May I ask where you finally found the 1 inch handles? I have not started the search yet. Apart from the handles, and the backing plates, is there anything else you had to buy. They are on special around $1400 at the moment, and then some shipping for me. From what you have said, it travels OK there. Do you always leave the motor on when under way? I went for a 10 horse, and at 25 kgs, thats at my strength limit for lifting out of the dingy fro,m the weaver davits I presently have

I see you have the shore water line attached to the boat. If I recall, from the factory they include a pressure limiting device. For me I think it is easier to fill the tank externally, then climb in the cave through the guest cabin. I believe a few people have cut out an access in the galley floor, however I have not seen photos to see how it looks.

The largest television that runs on 12 volts we can get here is 22 inch, and I have it on the ledge behind the stove. That way it is also viewable from the dinette. I am trying to locate a monitor stand, that I can install on the ledge above the ice maker and will lift it to the same height, however while I have seen them in banks etc, I have not seen them in stores.

Thanks for your assistance,and happy boating.

cheers

Comment

Yes Peter, three inspection hatches, 6 inch in the upper portion of the bulkhead.

The grab handles are made by Bolton Stainless Inc. of Vernon BC.

Model BOLBI1301

http://www.boltonstainless.com/index.php

Not sure if they will sell direct, contact them.

I had to go through Brewers Marine supply in Burlington Ontario and they shipped them to my local dealer.

Even with two extra markups they were only $40 each.

I have a BRIG F300 RIB and a Mercury 9.9 4 stroke and the motor stays on all the time.

They are sturdy davits and I have had no problems in heavy weather.
                              "Adios Dinero"

Comment

Working...
                              X