No announcement yet.

Flybridge Deck Core?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flybridge Deck Core?

The flybridge on my 3870 has numerous cracks that that were repaired by a previous owner by pouring fiberglass resin over the top to seal the cracks. The repair did not include fiberglass cloth and the cracks just opened up through the brittle resin on the deck. I am in the process of grinding out the cracks and then filling them with PC11 epoxy then fiber-glassing over the deck where the cracks have been filled. I'm doing the repair half at a time. I did the port side and then moved the seats over to do the stbd side. I'm putting down a layer of 1.5 oz. chopped strand fiberglass mat cloth with fiberglass resin. I do not feel any soft spots just lots of cracks and I have never seen the type of core material that was used. Has anyone found this core material on their boat?
    Stbd side of flybridge deck The red area is almost like masonite and the white dots are hard foam I'm not sure if this is the core or someone placed this on top of the existing core, but there is fiberglass mat under this material. This material appears to be approximately 1/4" thick.
    1987 3870 "Stella Maris"
    Hino 175's
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    MMSI# 338312097

I know some 3988’s had balsa cores with resin infused.
    1996 4087 Lazy Days
    2007 Walker Bay Genesis Lazy Mac
    2011 Porsche Cayman
    2010 Lexus IS 250C
    2008 Honda Ridgeline

Looks like a foam product or just how the grinder is knocking down a roving layer.

My 89 was cored with Balsa - a good chunk was mush and I replaced that, another area was getting water in but hadn't really spread I was able to inject some stuff (name escapes me right now) and it firmed up.

It almost looks like the PO made a club sandwich out of the layup - meaning (original glass - original balsa - original top skin - foam core - new top skin)

At this point I if it feels fairly rigid to walk around up there - I would use a bit of mat topped with cloth to close up those cracks, smooth it out, cover it up with gelcoat, and put down some indoor/outdoor carpet. Going in and really trying to get this back to a "normal" situation isn't going to be very productive use of time and if is structurally sound then really no harm in doing this way. Important part is to keep more water from getting into the sandwich.
      1989 3888
      Nobody gets out alive.

• builderdude
        builderdude commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree that the material that's been ground into is a honey combed product definately not balsa. Who knows what's underneath.

Most fiberglass (resin) won’t stick to epoxy. Epoxy will stick to nearly anything.
      100T MMC 2307794