4788 Sea cock leaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Sea cock leaking

My sea cock is leaking around the seam where I’m pointing in photo It was lose so I tightened it but still leaking.is there a seal under the nut?

At some point in time the seacock has probably frozen. The expansion has popped the cap on the seacock. There is no seal around the cap and there is only about 3 or 4 threads that hold the cap on. The reason that it leaks is that the cap holds the ball valve down in place. With the cap lifted up it no longer can hold the ball down against its seats and it will leak around the seats and up past the threads. If the threads are not too damaged you may be able to remove the cap, clean up the threads and replace it otherwise you will have to replace the whole seacock. Beware that if the cap pops completely off you will have a major leak to contend with. Right now the hose is holding the cap down.

Comment

Howdy! Attached is a pic of the 2 Perko repair kits. Per the previous poster, I believe there is no O ring on the large ball seals, otherwise I think Perko would have included them in the kit, although there are two white O rings in the spindle kit. You'll need to lift the boat (hold in slings) while you remove the top cap and ball etc. it's good you have that relatively loose. You'll need to remove the spindle to allow the rectangle spindle end to come out of the ball. The spindle should be reusable but you should replace the O rings both sides otherwise the spindle may leak and you'll potentially lifting the boat again to fix that. Both kits work together to contain the water in the cylinder/seacock. A friend has replace the spindle/O rings while in the water and water was trickling quickly around the spindle so he had to work quickly and it all worked out. He was braver than me. Use a good w/p grease on the threads/rings. Might be worth calling Perko and see if you can get the Orings without the brass spindle/nut. Either way, both kits won't break the bank.

Good luck with it.

cheers

PS. Looking again at the repair kit, I believe there are 2 small Spindle O rings included, so assuming the spindle/nut is all good, you won't need the spindle kit.
      John H
      Brisbane QLD Aust
      "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Thanks for the great info.

Comment

Working...
        X