Removing 4788 stateroom Headboards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing 4788 stateroom Headboards

This question relates to 4788 staterooms. I’ve tried various searches with no hits so sorry if this has been asked and answered. We want to remove and recover the guest room and v-berth headboards and recover them in a more neutral fabric. I confess to not being on board and investigating because we won’t close on the boat for another week or so - but can anyone provide insight into how one removes the guest cabin headboard? I think I’ve figured out the v-berth but insights here welcome as well.
    Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
    Sammamish WA
    1998 4788 (April 2018)
    ”Knot Home”

Mine lifted straight up, there’s two hinges on the wall.

Comment

As I recall there are a couple screws on the lower side of the guest headboard
      1997 4788 with Cummins 5.9 (315 hp)
      12 ft Rendova with 40 hp Merc 4 cycle
      Pacific NW

Comment

Thanks everyone!
        Sammamish WA
        1998 4788 (April 2018)
        ”Knot Home”

Comment

what year is the 4788? On my 1994 the Guest stateroom headboard is held in place by slotted brackets. Slide the headboard to starboard and it should come right off.
          Afterglow 4788
          Gary Weiss
          Sidney BC
          ArbutusCoastYachts.com

Comment

Year 1998. I was able to check yesterday and with the help given here I figured it out. combination of pushing sideways and lifting worked.
            Sammamish WA
            1998 4788 (April 2018)
            ”Knot Home”

Comment

What was the technique for removing the v-berth (master) headboard? I have a '97 3788 and I've tried everything I can think of and can't seem to figure it out. I can't find any clips or screws. Is it screwed in from the back and access is thru the anchor rode locker?

Sandy Slider
              Atlanta area
              Current: 1997 3788
              Previous: 2000 2159 Deckboat (sold)
              19xx Viking (no, not that one) deckboat (traded)
              1965 16' Glasspar Avalon (donated)

Comment

Originally posted by sws01 View Post
                What was the technique for removing the v-berth (master) headboard? I have a '97 3788 and I've tried everything I can think of and can't seem to figure it out. I can't find any clips or screws. Is it screwed in from the back and access is thru the anchor rode locker?
                Correct - at least with my 4788 '99 model. Screws to be removed from inside the chain locker.
                Pat
                Paragon
                1999 4788

Comment

Thanks, Pat. I figured that's probably what it was, but I sure don't want to try to get into that locker (cramped, hanging upside down, etc) unless it's absolutely confirmed. I'm going to start a new thread asking specifically about '96 - '98 3799 Master headboards to see whether I can get more clarity.

Sandy Slider
                  Atlanta area
                  Current: 1997 3788
                  Previous: 2000 2159 Deckboat (sold)
                  19xx Viking (no, not that one) deckboat (traded)
                  1965 16' Glasspar Avalon (donated)

Comment

The master headboard on our 1998 4788 swings up on hinges for access to the chain locker. There are screws goin through the plywood that hold the headboard to the hatch.
                    Sammamish WA
                    1998 4788 (April 2018)
                    ”Knot Home”

Comment

Thanks Knothome, I was wondering how to access the chain locker. I took a cursory look and didn't see any screws. Next tiime I will pull back the mattress, flip the panel up and see what kind of a mess greets me in there
                      Stan
                      2001 Bayliner 4788
                      Underhulls
                      Bow & Stern Thrusters
                      Hydronic heater
                      330 Cummins

Comment

Quick follow up. The panel that is hinged on top and swings up is *above* the headboard. The panel includes the ultra suede trim strip (might be a different material on different model years). You will need to look inside the chain locker and down at the back of the headboard.
                        Sammamish WA
                        1998 4788 (April 2018)
                        ”Knot Home”

Comment

Working...
                        X