leaking skylights in head and galley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking skylights in head and galley

I'm tired of resealing these skylights. so tired that I'm thinking of finding a small hatch that I can install their place.
    Has anyone done this? The ones that I've looked at seem awfully expensive.
    Maple Bay Yacht Club
    1990 3288 "Allure" w/150 hino x 2
    2004 Campion 622 fish killing machine "Knucklebuster", 150 yammy 4 stroke

Is this what you have? It's about 5x10, maybe smaller. The photo is looking down on the boat.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	head skylight.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	415978
    100T MMC 2307794

Comment

I resealed from the top, no more leaks. Took minutes.

Comment

I got new plexiglass from a local plastic shop and resealed. No more leaks and looks good.
        CapMartin, Montr├®al
        "Belle de Dalhousie"
        1986 3270
        Volvo BB225B

Comment

Originally posted by lhighland View Post
          Is this what you have? It's about 5x10, maybe smaller. The photo is looking down on the boat.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	head skylight.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	415978
          Yes. That's it. I've re & re'd them a couple times and eventually they start leaking again. I noticed on one boat they had replaced them with an opening vent but Lewmar wants $400 for the one that would work
          Maple Bay Yacht Club
          1990 3288 "Allure" w/150 hino x 2
          2004 Campion 622 fish killing machine "Knucklebuster", 150 yammy 4 stroke

Comment

Mine leaked also. No matter which caulk I used, they leaked after a few months. I think that the caulk wouldn't stick properly to the translucent piece. I finally, about 15 years ago, took the translucent piece out, sanded everything, cleaned with acetone or denatured alcohol, then bedded in white 5200. Then have someone stand on the see-thru piece and drill holes for sheet metal screws to go in from the inside of the boat (or, better still, do this beffore you disassemble everything). I used 8 or 10 screws. Probably overkill but I was really tired of working on the skylights. The black trim on the inside covers up the screws. No leaks since I screwed the skylights in place.
            100T MMC 2307794

Comment

Working...
            X