West Coast of Vancouver Island, by 38xx

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Coast of Vancouver Island, by 38xx

Circumnavigation of Vancouver Island is on my bucket list. Thinking about tackling it this summer. One cruiser (who has never had his boat on the outer coast) has cautioned that the 3888 is not an appropriate boat. So far all of my time on my 3888 has been offshore out of Newport Oregon. Deep steep swells and wind are plenty common there. I've got a flexible schedule and can wait out the 3 capes for good conditions. Anyone with real world 38xx time off the West Coast of Vancouver Island who can address doing that trip by 3888?

Many thanks!
    1992 BMY 3888 destined for bareboat service in SEAK

used to take our 38 to Bam field every year Deep rollers and some times fog
    If some kind of fishery opens it can get a little crowded
    But never any problems

Comment

Smaller less capable boats than a 38 have safely done it. I've been miles off shore in a 18 ft fiberform and again a in a 21 ft sunrunner. Big waves no problems.

perhaps someone who doesnt think that highly of bayliners.

I've been contemplating doing part of that side of the island in my 34 ft Avanti sunbridge. I have no question it would be fine. Just don't be reckless is all.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

Friends that have done it don't talk about the size of their boats, they talk about the long stretches of 'no-safe-port' My dental hygienist and her husband did it in a 30ft. sailboat. She got a nasty foot infection and had to bail most of the way down the west side. He solo'd back to Bellingham from there. Sounds like a great adventure. Take your time and watch your weather windows and take a lot of pictures.
        Tally and Vicki
        "Wickus" Meridian 341
        MMSI 338014939

Comment

Sounds like a great trip, not for me this year, need to get some time in on the boat before we try that one. Probably best to go with another boat or two.
          P/C Bob Hicks JN
          Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
          Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
          Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
          Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
          Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

My first question is 'Why'? Is just to say 'I've done it'? OK? If it is to see some of the very interesting places you can go into, investigate and absorb the beauty, better? Can you do it safely and in some degree of comfort in your 3888? Sure, if you have the time to wait out the adverse weather you will likely experience. I would certainly advise doing it with at least one other vessel with you. Fuel can be a problem if you need to spend too much time waiting weather or if you don't watch you consumption. Fog can be a problem with wind and large seas especially on the Big Bank and around some of the Points. It would be best if you have had some experience cruising in fog. And as noted be others, at times of the year there can be a fair amount of traffic in the fog with tugs, commercial fishing vessels and, as you get close to the US/Canadian boarder, freighters.

I've commercial fished the coast of BC for 29 years. Now retired and own a 3870 that I cruise the coast with. Would I do that trip in my vessel? The 3870 would not be the problem given time. But, for me, I would rather cruise the central coast of BC. Many, many more places to investigate, safer weather wise and far more comfortable seas to cruise in. Runs between places in the central area have more fueling spots along with potential help, like talman needed with his crew member. You could spend the rest of your life cruising the central coast of BC and never see it all. There are even places as yet that have no chart datum for depths if you like to really get adventurous - like Fish Egg Inlet (though there may now be a better chart for this area)? Fish Egg should only be cruised with great care and attention. And last, there can be fog and heavy traffic in some spots in the central area but far kinder seas.

Just my prejudiced thoughts on your question as I love the central coast of BC. I cruise to experience the beauty of the BC coast. Being far off shore doesn't do it for me though I've spent days and weeks commercial fishing off shore.
            16' lap straight with B&S inboard, my 1st commercial fishing adventure
            17' run about with original 80ph Volvo, fun with some exploration of the coast
            25' Chris Craft - lots of fun exploring further north on the BC coast
            32' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
            41' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
            38' Permaglass commercial salmon troller - freezer boat, harder work & fun
            1987 3870 with 175 Hinos - back to mostly fun again & exploration

Comment

I'm just new to the Island myself, I have a 3870 moored in Victoria's Fisherman's Wharf. If you decide to do this, definitely PM me, I'd love to get up to Tofino and maybe Nootka Sound this summer. There is absolutely no reason that a 3888 couldn't handle that trip, people do that in much smaller boats all the time. North Island is not a place you want to be cruising in the winter (absolutely nasty wave conditions), but you can see some fantastic things there in the summer. In 1778 Captain Cook made landfall in Nootka Sound, discovering Vancouver Island for the European world. I think it would be super cool to retrace his steps and imagine what it would have been like to see it all for the first time.

Comment

We have taken oir 3870 around the bottom of the Island five times up to Bamfield, Barkley Sound, Uclulet, Tofino, Nootka Sound, Tahsis
                fishing and cruising
                Amazing places to visit
                we have not gone further North than Tahsis, Esperanza
                Victoria to Bamfield is one long day....but there is a new marina now in Port Renfrew, so maybe next time we go we will do the extra stop and get to Bamfield in two shorter days
                Allan
                1986 - 3870
                175 Hinos
                Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

If you have been offshore from Newport OR with your boat and found it to be OK, then WCVI won't be any problem for you. In fact, you will have many places to duck in to to get out of weather, more so than going from Flattery to Newport. Fuel stops will be limited.

Comment

I always avoided it. Good friend and wife in 40 ft Uniiflight sports fisherman, broke up running up an inlet to get out of really bad water. Boat broke up and sunk, both died. Fishermen at back of inlet followed it all on radio, but too rough to attempt any search for 24 hrs.
                    Started boating 1965
                    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Should have added, fishermen called Canadian Coast Guard as soon as boater Mayday said they were going down. Coast Guard helicopter already in transit. Search only found bits and pieces floating.
                      Started boating 1965
                      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

I've had uglier crossings of Georgia Strait compared to early in the day runs up and down the west coast of the Island. It's all about the weather.
                        1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I met a couple that circumnavigated the island twice in a late 80s 24' Bayliner Trophy. They just watched the weather carefully and ended up spending a number of days holed-up in harbors to avoid the weather. So I think it should not be an issue in a 38.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                          Anacortes, WA

Comment

I remember seeing a fairly good aritcle in Sea magazine (I believe it was. It was of a couple circumnavigating Vancouver island in thier 28 ft ranger tug. It might have been a different tug, but regardless, it detailed thier adventure. It might be worth tracking down. I think it published sometime th last year or so..

i hope that helps,
                            ~BJ
                            OMEGA
                            BJ
                            OMEGA

Comment

I've never been able to figure out why anyone would want do this. Your frickin' crazy!!

I have owned a 38 for ten years now. Great boat in 4 or 5 foot seas but that is about it. It's called pleasure cruising for a reason.

If you want to do something stupid, buy a small offshore car and drive down the wrong side of the freeway until you get taken out buy a semi.

At least that way, there may be some body parts for your loved ones to bury.

JOHNNY VINTAGE

Comment

Working...
                              X