Walking fender size advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking fender size advice

i have a 32xx and am looking to purchase a round style walking fender to assist when docking, etc. I am wondering if anyone else uses one and if so, what diameter do you use and where do you store it on your boat when not in use.

I've never heard the term walking fender.
    1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
    7.4 Mercruiser
    Still learning about other systems
    and specs.

Comment

perhaps its just a Coast Guard Aux. term but a walking fender is used to be able to quickly place a fender between your boat and another object vs. having your fenders tied off and not being able to move them quickly.

Comment

It is also called a roving fender

Comment

Sacrificial!
          1996 4087 Lazy Days
          2007 Walker Bay Genesis Lazy Mac
          2011 Porsche Cayman
          2010 Lexus IS 250C
          2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

I would just make sure it’s light and easy enough for your first mate or anyone to handle. I have one, smaller then my normal fenders, it has come in handy going through the locks when you only have a few seconds to get ready for the boat coming alongside. I don’t use it often, but nice to have when I do. When I am cruising it resides in the cockpit, when I am not cruising it goes below in the cockpit storage. Just want to add that in the locks I have my fenders ready on both sides, but sometimes a smaller boat gets put alongside and you don’t have time to adjust. I’m sure there are other applications where a walking fender comes in handy.
            Vice Commodore
            Fox Island Yacht Club
            '92 4588
            Lucy Jayne
            Gig Harbor, WA

Comment

Originally posted by brian95006 View Post
              i have a 32xx and am looking to purchase a round style walking fender to assist when docking, etc. I am wondering if anyone else uses one and if so, what diameter do you use and where do you store it on your boat when not in use.
              a 24 to 27 inch round fender works well for that purpose....as to where you would store it on your boat, thats for you to decide.

I used 24inchers as my working fenders on another boat I had, and I just stored them tied them to the rail on the foredeck....

they are also big and stout enough to use as a float in the event that you need to drop your anchor rode/chain for any reason and come back later to retrieve it,

I used mine a lot as a marker for diving (tie an anchor and rode directly to it, and toss it over) for marking the reef in open ocean so that one can keep a visual on the site when live-boating....

NU LIBERTE'
              Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
              5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
              N2K equipped throughout..
              2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
              2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
              '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
              Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Working...
              X