Air Conditioning Units on 3988-gctid403300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Conditioning Units on 3988-gctid403300

Sorry to come across a bit confused, however on the 3988, the AC board has one air cond unit on one bank, and another air cond unit on the other. However I think it is called a relay (or some thing similar) only on one bank. So I am trying to work out, if I am at a marina with only one "low" power source, can I run the air cond unit, that is not on the relay bank. I could not find any explanation in the manuals, so thought I would ask here.

Cheers

Peter W wrote:
    Sorry to come across a bit confused, however on the 3988, the AC board has one air cond unit on one bank, and another air cond unit on the other. However I think it is called a relay (or some thing similar) only on one bank. So I am trying to work out, if I am at a marina with only one "low" power source, can I run the air cond unit, that is not on the relay bank. I could not find any explanation in the manuals, so thought I would ask here.

Cheers
    Peter - my 4087 has a similar config on the high voltage panel. The relay switch supplies power to the AC raw water pump. You absolutely have to have this running to get any AC units to run at all. So if you can supply power to only one side of the panel and want AC, it needs to be the side with the relay switch.
    Evan
    2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
    League City, TX

Comment

buy a y splitter cord for the boat side that way you can run both sides on one cord you will only have half power on each side but if you watch your power consumption and do not turn everything on all at once you will be fine. I have been running that way with my 32 for years.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. It was as I thought, I needed the relay on, with the Air Cond unit. As we usually are only given, one 15 amp power lead, at most marinas, I am concerned about the possibility of overload when I use a y splitter. As the boat is still set up 120, I assume that my incoming 15 amps of 240, becomes 30 amps of 120 on the boat. I will need to switch everything else off, including the water heater etc, if I run both Air cond units. I do not believe that 15 amp Y splitters are available here, however I did make one, and use it very sparingly. Thanks again, and hope you are enjoying your season.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X