3788 possible purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3788 possible purchase

Hello, looking at a 3788 with the Cummins 250. My question is do owners with this engine package find the 3788 to be adicatly powered. Also can you share your fuel consumption numbers for the 250hp. Thanks in advance. K
    Kevin & Robyn
    Koppers Kove
    MMSI 338206107
    2001 Bayliner 2452
    5.7 B2 PT BRA3 17p

I will tell you that the biggest issue that I had with moving into a larger boat from our 2859 was the speed issue.
    As much as we want them to, bigger boats, unless they have gigantic engines just do not go as fast as the cabin cruisers thast we are moving from.

As a person who has made the transition, I would recommend that you look at how you intend to use the boat, and the amount of time you have at this stage in your life, and think allot about that.

While I have no hands on experience in a 3788, and I love the interior layout ALLOT, a 37’ hull driven by 500 total horsepower sounds to me like a “semi displacement” setup similar to our 4788 with 660 horsepower. Others will chime in here but I’m guessing that 14-15 knot cruise speeds will be at the top end, just based on the engine size and displacement of the boat.

What I found with our 4788 is that it’s allot more fun, and allot less nerve racking to drive the boat at displacement speeds most of the time. I will suspect that most owners of the larger boats feel the same way, and I suspect that you will as well.

That takes me back to the original issue...speed, vs the time you have, and the distance you want to go.
    Based on our cruising grounds we found that trips that we used to be happy doing in a weekend are just not possble anymore, so we out of necessity adjusted our cruising style.
    We tend to make longer duration trips in the bigger bost Vs our 2859, some because the size makes longer trips more comfortable, and part because the places we like to cruise to are just not possible in a weekend anymore.

Anyway, best of luck in your search!!!!!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Thanks Kevin, we have had the discussion about speed/time and agree with your statement. My question is just making sure that the pairing of the 3788 with the 250 Cummins is a good match. I’m not worried about being able to go faster than the 14-15 knot cruise. Not interested in the increased fuel consumption to go faster. I would guess about 1 mile per gallon at 14 kts. I see a fair amount of our time cruising at 7-9 kts. Thanks for your thoughts. K
      Kevin & Robyn
      Koppers Kove
      MMSI 338206107
      2001 Bayliner 2452
      5.7 B2 PT BRA3 17p

Comment

It’s funny, I thought our fuel bill would be going way up moving from our 2859 to the 4788, and it actually went down.
        in our case the 2859 is about 1NMPG at cruise speeds, where the 4788 is about 1.5NMPG at our cruise speeds.

I would like to hear others chime in with direct experience with the 250’s and the 3788, but I am suspecting that the engines and the hull are a good match if you are running at displacement speeds most of the time and fast cruising some of the time.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

We have the 330s in our 3788 and it's nice to have the power, but it is stressful to cruise at 21-22knts. For reference, our fuel usage ranges from 7-13gph depending on how long we want to cruise at high speed. One thing we have found is that many 3788 owners have added trim tabs to help raise the rear, our boats are very butt heavy, especially with a tender hanging from the back. We are currently having tabs added at CSR and will report our results when we get the boat back.

If you plan on running at 7-9kts then your 250s will be just fine. Good luck with your search.
          2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
          Seattle, WA

Comment

I have the 270's which should be comparable and I cruise comfortably at 15 knots. Most of the time I cruise at 7-9 knots at at fill up I average about 4 gallons per hour. I did add an extra set of trim tabs
            Kevin
            Seattle
            'Joysea' 1998 3788 MY 270 Cummins
            My 6th Bayliner

Comment

[QUOTE=W8N4SUN;n414470]We have the 330s in our 3788 and it's nice to have the power, but it is stressful to cruise at 21-22knts.

What speed to you you find comfortable to cruise at? Thanks k

Kevin & Robyn
              Koppers Kove
              MMSI 338206107
              2001 Bayliner 2452
              5.7 B2 PT BRA3 17p

Comment

Good info here for me. I am new to the 3788 and big diesels (anything with 3 digits in the HP figure for me). I'm coming from the other side of the equation though moving from a 28 foot sailboat (18hp) where full throttle is maybe 6 knots to this boat which at idle is at least that fast. We really love this boat and we haven't even used it yet.
                Tony Bacon,
                Washougal, WA
                Caspian
                1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

Originally posted by Koppers_Kove View Post
                  What speed to you you find comfortable to cruise at? Thanks k
                  Comfortable for us is 14-16kts. fast enough to cover ground, but slow enough to avoid debris in the water. Unfortunately, she sits so low in the back that the motors get loaded at these speeds so we really on run at 2 speeds, 8kts or 22kts. When we get her back from having additional tabs we will be testing to see if we can run at 14-16kts without loading the motors.

We haven't run a full tank at 8kts but I suspect it would in the 4gph range. It's pretty amazing these motors don't use much fuel.
                  2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
                  Seattle, WA

Comment

Anyone else have some information? All is appreciated. K
                    Kevin & Robyn
                    Koppers Kove
                    MMSI 338206107
                    2001 Bayliner 2452
                    5.7 B2 PT BRA3 17p

Comment

I cruise on my 3870 with 130 hp Mitt's. Yes it is under powered and I knew this when I bought it. But I like cruising at hull speed. I set my rpm's at 1400 to 1600 and take what ever speed I get. Being on the east coast ICW I am either going with the tide or against it. So this means I get about 6 to 10 mph. When I get to where I am going I get there. That is what boating is all about, take what the elements give you and enjoy the view. At the rpm that I use I burn about 2.5 gallons per hour per engine.
                      Just love being on my 3870............Bill
                      1985 3870
                      Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
                      Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
                      Live on board full time.
                      North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

I have a 1999, 3788 with 270 Cummins. I cruise at 14-16 knots, 2100 RPM. This yields 1.0 - 1.1 NM/Gal. The boat will do 22-24 knots at WOT, 2600 RPM with 1/2 fuel and water.

A couple of years ago I installed a second set of trim tabs on the boat. This increased the cruise speed a bit. Keep in mind that my boat is pretty heavy in the rear, it has a hardtop and an inflatable with a 20 HP motor on a swim step davit.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                        Anacortes, WA

Comment

I had a 3788, 1997 version with the 250 Cummins. Best cruise speed was 14-16 knots. That me got 1 nm/gal. Very nice ride. Ran that boat everywhere here in Fl. Keys, Bahamas, etc. Many multi week trips. It’s a good mid-sized platform, I just out grew it.
                          1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
                          2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
                          2014 Sea Fox 22 Center Console
                          2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

Here is a 2001 3788 6BTA 250s sea trial video... 15 knots @ WOT 2700 RPM.

https://youtu.be/OHyRRkhfqrQ
                            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                            93 3058 sold
                            92 2855 (day boat)
                            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                            Longbranch WA
                            Life is Good

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post
                              Here is a 2001 3788 6BTA 250s sea trial video... 15 knots @ WOT 2700 RPM.

https://youtu.be/OHyRRkhfqrQ

Different engines....the one on the video has 4BTA 250s rated at 3000 RPM vs the 6BTA 250 that is rated at 2600 RPM.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 2001 and later Bayliner and Meridians had an integrated swim platform that extends below the waterline and provides some additional flotation in the rear. These boats were available with 4BTA as well as 6BTA engines. The earlier boats were only available with 6BTA engines, if diesel powered.
                              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                              Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X