No announcement yet.

2000 4788 on the hard for 2.5 years - what to expect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave yourself some room for the unexpected { which always seems to be} Probably 10% of purchase price. I have been onboard that boat and it seems ok except for the obvious items like the corrosion on the Aluminum structure and a badly needed polish/wax.

You will need to have a plan for continuing maintenance :, going through all the systems and base-lining. Your surveyor and mechanic can help you with all of this.

Good luck!
    Afterglow 4788
    Gary Weiss
    Sidney BC
    ArbutusCoastYachts.com

Comment

Congrats on finding a new boat. Are there additional costs or issues in buying a Canadian boat and changing registry to USA?
      1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

So the boat failed our expectations and we terminated the deal. As for buying a Bayliner from a Canadian owner, as long as you can provide some proof of manufacture in the US and have a decent customs broker you will be limited to the customs brokers fees. In our case, the boat we are wrapping up from a Canadian broker is owned by a US citizen and it was documented in the US and registered in Washington so no import issues.
        Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
        Sammamish WA
        1998 4788 (April 2018)
        ”Knot Home”

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that the boat failed inspection. From your earlier posts it sounded like a good boat. Can you give us some details about why you rejected the boat? What unknown problems did you find?
          1991 4588
          SE Michigan

Comment

Yes, please post regarding the issues you found.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY
            SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

I’m not comfortable going into detail because there would be little, if any, context. The boat simply reflects the effects of disuse for 2+ years and perhaps lack of some periodic maintenance. The interior is very clean and the Hurricane hydronic system is great. The flybridge upholstery is in excellent condition. We cancelled the surveyor and I haven’t seen the engine survey yet (we cancelled the oil analysis). Folks will need to look at the boat and based on that make an offer that takes into consideration their findings. With very low hours and a very clean, smell free, and apparent leak free interior that boat could be a great find but for us there appeared to be too many projects even in consideration of the offer we made. If as an individual someone is interested PM me and we can arrange a phone call.

The boat we ended up with, although extremely well looked after, is also not without issues. Just different ones with less hassle solutions and probably lower costs. The main difference is that the boat we purchased was used regularly by owners who believed in prevention. Twenty year old boats just need stuff done no matter how well they were cared for!
              Sammamish WA
              1998 4788 (April 2018)
              ”Knot Home”

Comment

Originally posted by Knothome4788 View Post
                I’m not comfortable going into detail because there would be little, if any, context. The boat simply reflects the effects of disuse for 2+ years and perhaps lack of some periodic maintenance. The interior is very clean and the Hurricane hydronic system is great. The flybridge upholstery is in excellent condition. We cancelled the surveyor and I haven’t seen the engine survey yet (we cancelled the oil analysis). Folks will need to look at the boat and based on that make an offer that takes into consideration their findings. With very low hours and a very clean, smell free, and apparent leak free interior that boat could be a great find but for us there appeared to be too many projects even in consideration of the offer we made. If as an individual someone is interested PM me and we can arrange a phone call.

The boat we ended up with, although extremely well looked after, is also not without issues. Just different ones with less hassle solutions and probably lower costs. The main difference is that the boat we purchased was used regularly by owners who believed in prevention. Twenty year old boats just need stuff done no matter how well they were cared for!
                Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you found a boat that did fit your needs as well!
                Yes, the best boats out there are the ones that are used, and maintained continously!

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY
                SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Congratulations on your new boat. 2018 is going to be a wonderful year for you and your family
                  Stan
                  2001 Bayliner 4788
                  Underhulls
                  Bow & Stern Thrusters
                  Hydronic heater
                  330 Cummins

Comment

Thanks everyone! I’ll be posting more questions even though I’m through to page 205 on this forum! I’ve saved many good links that I know will help. Next up are things like part numbers for the port light screens and a source for wallpaper for the companionway and guest head plus hints on how to remove the seemingly universal wallpaper bubbles! Along the way we will contribute about our DIY efforts.
                    Sammamish WA
                    1998 4788 (April 2018)
                    ”Knot Home”

Comment

Working...
                    X