1988 3270 Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 3270 Questions

Hello! I have an offer accepted on a late model 3270 gasser (please no discussion/debate about gas v Hino as I have INTENTIONALLY chosen gas....ok a little banter would be fun!). Part of the sales agreement includes fixing a few soft spots on the bow and bridge and a few other minor details. Owners, is there anything else I should personally be looking for that you wished you would have known prior to purchase? I have walked, stomped, and inspected every inch of glass and flooring throughout the vessel and found everything solid but I know there are always things lurking beneath! The survey will provide a laundry list I am sure. Any words of wisdom?
    "FOG 1"
    1989 Bayliner 3288
    Twin 305s
    Kenmore, WA

Gas tanks, inspect every inch. Try to lift them if possible. Look for rot on those platforms and around the scupper drains. Having a cave hatch is a real plus and would indicate that the owner was a maintenance dude.

Comment

Soft spots on the flybridge usually means the whole balsa core is full of rot, even in areas that do not flex. You might try some spot sounding where the screws holding the settee are and check for water or dampness there. Water tends to accumulate on the sides and aft of the bridge as it is a low spot.
      NILE
      1989 3288MY 305's US Marine
      Fort Lauderdale Florida

Comment

Agree to all above

also check radar arch, they rot at the connections and become unstable. They can be rebuild.

also water tank maybe near end of life..

fyi I love my 3218

good luck

Ron
        1989 3218
        1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
        2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

By the way if you have the boat locked up with an offer, feel free to share the ad, we might see something in the pictures of interest.

Comment

Original gas engines? Total hours on them?
            full closed cooling or half?
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

Like they say about the tanks and the arch.
              Can't beat the sound of those gassers!
              CapMartin, Montr├®al
              "Belle de Dalhousie"
              1986 3270
              Volvo BB225B

Comment

Hour meters are probably not original mounted in these boats? If this is a boat that was only used in Norway, I would not be worried about the engines.

/Henrik from Sweden
                https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqjF-BlXT8PajKWGmDYJNVw

Comment

• NorwegianDave
                  NorwegianDave commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jeg har faktisk sett mange av videoene dine på youtube. Nice looking 3288!

All of the above. Good luck with the purchase and keep us posted.
                "Martini's Law"
                1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
                Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the responses! No hour meters, but maintenance records show around 600 hours. They are original with closed cooling. The yard is going to drill approx a dozen holes from below around the soft area and inject epoxy into each hole to replace the core that has deteriorated due to moisture intrusion and also re-bed the anchor tie off cleat to prevent additional moisture from getting in. The flybridge needs a bit more investigation but I think you are right... water is coming in from somewhere and it probably means rot.... but they will work to find and shore up the leak to the best extent possible like planned in the bow. I am realistic that the survey will find out more info.

"FOG 1"
                  1989 Bayliner 3288
                  Twin 305s
                  Kenmore, WA

Comment

I am the guy who likes to drill 1/4" holes in the stringers and inside of transom, if these are also soaked then the boat is not worth much
                    1988 3270
                    135 hinos
                    Seldovia ALASKA
                    KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
                    KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
                    Marine canvas/Upholstery
                    since 1975

Comment

Hmm original 600 hours in 30 years...
                      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                      93 3058 sold
                      92 2855 (day boat)
                      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                      Longbranch WA
                      Life is Good

Comment

• NorwegianDave
                        NorwegianDave commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A concern of mine also.

This boat has an interesting story. Owner passed in 2009 and the boat has been dry stored/winterized ever since. I scheduled the survey today and that should reveal more of the story. The hours make sense considering this is a great lake boat and only able to cruise part of the year and this "cruising" ended in '09. Ruffryder may be correct, maybe the engines will Hmm and not hum!

"FOG 1"
                      1989 Bayliner 3288
                      Twin 305s
                      Kenmore, WA

Comment

Here she is. The boat is in the Midwest, and I am in the Pacific Northwest, so an overland journey will proceed here in about 3 weeks. Survey scheduled, price was so right that even the cost of transport makes this hard to beat.... pending inspection. A little dirty but some TLC and she will shine!
                        "FOG 1"
                        1989 Bayliner 3288
                        Twin 305s
                        Kenmore, WA

Comment

Water generally gets into the flybridge floor thru the mounting holes for the seating. Once it gets in there it stays in there as the floor is balsa with glass on top and bottom. Now another place you want to check is the 2x6 that is under the flybridge floor against the port and starboard windows. It is wrapped in white vinyl. Water works its way from the flybridge floor to the edges and then down into these. These are what holds your flybridge up. Windows are attached to these than flybridge attaches to 2x6. When these get wet and rot the flybridge sags and the sliding door to enter the boat gets hard to open. To inspect these 2x6 move the drapes out of the way and poke at it with an ice pick or something similar. Mine was like a bag of mulch aft against the bulkhead. It's the strip of wood that the curtain track attaches to and the teak strip attaches to. A big indicator is if that teak strip is falling off.
                          Esteban
                          Vancouver, BC
                          Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Working...
                          X