3870 - location of "Stuff" you don't see

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3870 - location of "Stuff" you don't see

I am still in preparation mode for bringing my 38 up to Raritan...trip itinerary, food, fuel stops, tools, spares, safety stuff, etc... Stops, fuel, food, tools is done...more to do...

(1) An important aspect of picking up a new boat and "takin 'er home" is making sure I understand where all the hull valves, tankage, pumps, electrical, etc... that is located under floors, behind cabinets, panels, etc...

I have not been able to find any diagrams of all that "stuff that is behind things"...would hate for something to go wrong with one of them and not be able to find it.

Granted the survey and sea trial will uncover most of that and I will be taking good notes but hoping to visualize it first...and maintain a good documentation library.

Any such documentation exist...or can you point me in the right direction...?

(2) Can you recommend a good spare parts inventory that I can prepare ahead of this first trip...? (belts, filters, etc...)

Thanks in advance,

Nick

1988 3888 "Liberty"
    Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
    Onan 8.0
    Boating Raritan Bay

I do have a tip which I use when I have additional crew on a voyage who are not familiar with the boat. You might find the same tip helpful as you acclimatize to a new boat. I use Blue 3M masking tape to put labels on all access points for safety items (throughulls breakers/lifejackets etc). On multiday/night passages I will also label the various locations of snacks/food etc so that I am not awakened in the night by a hungry watch crew.
    Alan Teed
    MOONDANCE
    '94 4788
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Previously:
    2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
    Bayliner 2855
    1977 Cal 34' blowboat
    1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
    Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

Excellent tip, Alan...will remember that for future guest passages.

I planned on tagging everything under the deck and behind panels during the survey with those elastic string manila tags.

Hoping to build up my documentation library with any diagrams that I can collect...

Thank you...
      1988 3888 "Liberty"
      Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
      Onan 8.0
      Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

The primary items to familiarize yourself with in the main cabin are the thru-hull fittings under the floor hatch in the galley and the location of your forward bilge pump, which is under a small hatch next to the bed in the mid berth cabin. I carry a foam cone-shaped plug next to the thru-hulls just in case. Everything else you need to spend a little time reviewing is in the engine room. I've attached (or tried to) a 3870 manual and a wiring diagram.
        Attached Files
        David and Beth
        Seattle Area - Berthed in La Conner

1986 Bayliner 3870 "Hokey Pokey"

1995 SeaRay 20 Signature "Flapdoodle"
        1993 Bayliner 3058 "SeaYa"

Comment

Originally posted by Snika View Post
          The primary items to familiarize yourself with in the main cabin are the thru-hull fittings under the floor hatch in the galley and the location of your forward bilge pump, which is under a small hatch next to the bed in the mid berth cabin. I carry a foam cone-shaped plug next to the thru-hulls just in case. Everything else you need to spend a little time reviewing is in the engine room. I've attached (or tried to) a 3870 manual and a wiring diagram.
          Thank you...very helpful...I also carry plugs of various sizes...mine are wooden. Luckily, I've never had to use them...

1988 3888 "Liberty"
          Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
          Onan 8.0
          Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

• Jim_Gandee
            Jim_Gandee commented
            Editing a comment
            If you rubber band them to the thru Hull fitting the plugs will at the ready if ever needed.

Rescue tape, extra belts, filters
          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

During the survey have the surveyor mark any suspect locations in the stringers or decks.
            There are two fwd and two aft bilge pumps. Each pair is a fixed, deep, switched from the 12v panel pump and one with an automatic switch. The automatics are more visible however the aft pumps are under a small hatch in the diamond plate.
            You have gated through hulls aft of the engine bay for each engine and generator if there is one. I keep a just in case Good sized, like 1” box, 14” or so long box end wrench near the aft through hulls. It’s not a matter of the handle being bound or stuck, it’s because I’m old and can’t always get good leverage to rotate the handle. You might want to have one of those laser temperature gauge, lots of led flashlights and a good multi meter.
            The belt numbers are Alternator Belt - NAPA 25-22545 $27 ea, 2 required per engine & Water pump Belt - NAPA 25-22443 $20
            I use a Jabsco impeller on my raw water pumps, and carry a spare pair. Jabsco 31130-0061
            The 38’s carry 305 gallons of diesel (I’m assuming you are buying a diesel boat) and depending on all sorts of variables like how clean the bottom is, how many rpms you run at, sea conditions, the color of the sky....well, you get the idea. I plan my trips on one mpg, but the reality is that running at 1800 or so, around 8.5 knots, my burn is closer to two mpg. If I run at 2800, then I can really plan on one per gallon.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Snika View Post
              Thank you, David...printed and now in my library for the 38...
              1988 3888 "Liberty"
              Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
              Onan 8.0
              Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post
                Rescue tape, extra belts, filters
                Thank you...will see what spares the owner has on the boat at tomorrow's survey/sea trial...then go shopping...
                1988 3888 "Liberty"
                Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                Onan 8.0
                Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
                  During the survey have the surveyor mark any suspect locations in the stringers or decks.
                  There are two fwd and two aft bilge pumps. Each pair is a fixed, deep, switched from the 12v panel pump and one with an automatic switch. The automatics are more visible however the aft pumps are under a small hatch in the diamond plate.
                  You have gated through hulls aft of the engine bay for each engine and generator if there is one. I keep a just in case Good sized, like 1” box, 14” or so long box end wrench near the aft through hulls. It’s not a matter of the handle being bound or stuck, it’s because I’m old and can’t always get good leverage to rotate the handle. You might want to have one of those laser temperature gauge, lots of led flashlights and a good multi meter.
                  The belt numbers are Alternator Belt - NAPA 25-22545 $27 ea, 2 required per engine & Water pump Belt - NAPA 25-22443 $20
                  I use a Jabsco impeller on my raw water pumps, and carry a spare pair. Jabsco 31130-0061
                  The 38’s carry 305 gallons of diesel (I’m assuming you are buying a diesel boat) and depending on all sorts of variables like how clean the bottom is, how many rpms you run at, sea conditions, the color of the sky....well, you get the idea. I plan my trips on one mpg, but the reality is that running at 1800 or so, around 8.5 knots, my burn is closer to two mpg. If I run at 2800, then I can really plan on one per gallon.
                  Thank you, Pete...not sure what had been swapped out when it was repowered...some of the parts you listed might be the same.

I've made a list of tools I will bring for the ride home...very helpful to note all the bolt/nut sizes to make sure I have the right wrenches...there's always vice grips

Spoke with the broker yesterday and he says the owner cruised at around 15kts. If I can sustain that, it will make my trip shorter...

BTW...the pics you sent showing the updates you had made (ladder, etc...) seem to have disappeared from your post...expired maybe...?

Thanks again...

1988 3888 "Liberty"
                  Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                  Onan 8.0
                  Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Nickp, a lot of the old posts didn’t make the transition from the previous web provider. I’ve started a series of PowerPoint presentations with pictures and how I did it, which may be different from instructions. No “place part A on the template and attach part B” stuff. If you’ll pm me your email I can send the files to you as I get them updated. I’m at a point where I need to be on a laptop instead of an iPad, but the internet at our next destination (Kona) is going to be a challenge.
                    P/C Pete
                    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                    MMSI 367770440
                    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Working...
                    X