Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripped Hino 150 oil filter drain - Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped Hino 150 oil filter drain - Advice?

First oil change on a 1992 3288 with twin 150 hp Hinos that I purchased last year. When I removed the 10 mm thread drain plug on the starboard spin-on oil filter housing (just below the oil pressure regulator) the inner threads came out with the plug. Last person to drain the oil filter over-torqued the plug and it stripped the inner threads of the aluminum housing.

Has anyone else run into this problem and how did they solve it? I am looking at 2 options:

1. Tap 12 mm threads into the housing and plug with a 12 mm bolt. In order to do that I will need to remove the oil pressure regulator switch, inner spring and possibly the valve because you won't be able to get the tap in deep enough to cut new threads with them in place. Anyone done that? I'm quite concerned about getting metal shavings in where they should not be when I cut new threads. Also this is on the starboard side so there is little working room for drilling or a conventional tap handle.

2. Use JB Weld to permanently attach the existing 10 mm plug. Concern here is obviously how long JB Weld will last, how to get the housing clean enough to secure a good bond and how to prevent interfering with the pressure regulator valve.

You help would be much appreciated. The filter housing is close to $1000 to replace, so I'd really like to avoid that.
    1992 3288 Soul Purpose

You could remove the housing so you can get it into a clean clear bench then install a helicoil repair thread. Imo, that’s the most correct way to do it. After looking at the parts diagram, it’s absolutely the way I would do it or have it done. If you choose to work on it in place, use heavy grease or Vaseline to control the chips. If you can put a heavy paper towel into the hole beyond the threads that you can pull out with forecepts, even better.
    It’s going to be a bit ugly anyway you do it, but done right, it will be one and done.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

You don't want to use a helicoil in that application. Helicoils aren't meant to be used when the bolt put in them is going to be removed on a regular basis. The helicoil itself is likely to come out too. The product you want to use is called a Timesert. http://www.timesert.com/ They are not cheap but you use this if you want to do it the right way.
      Future 4788 Owner
      Charleston, S.C.

Comment

Just my opinion, that is one area I would not want to mess around with attempting to "repair". If replacement treads were to go out you could cause serious damage to the engine before you knew what happened. Personally, and I know it is not cheap, but I would replace the housing. $1,000 is a lot less than an engine rebuild. Just my opinion.
        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Previous boat: 1993 3055
        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE
        Life is short. Boats are cool.
        The family that plays together stays together.
        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I hawe don tjis on My 92- 3288 think it where starboard side on my boat to.
          maby i ghot som pictures if i look. I did heilycol. Then i leran thet Hinos can drop all oil from the filter down to the oilpan bay open one of the ather bouls = no oil spill.

i maby can get mor info for you next week.
          https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqjF-BlXT8PajKWGmDYJNVw

Comment

So I ended up removing the filter housing, tapping new threads and installing a time-sert and new plug.
            1992 3288 Soul Purpose

Comment

im with itsabowtime2......

this happened to me as well and because the part is under pressure, any fail of a repair can be catostrophic.......its not a cheap part but the peace of mind is worth every penny.....

Comment

Hi. herbis a pictures off the oilfilter ”thing”
                i belive you hawe ust nummer 10 to Darin the oilfilter.

The Hino is a smart engin. If you losen nummer 12 and put a hole in top of the oilfilter, the oli in the filter will Darin in to the oilpan. And you will not spill a singel drop.

Comment

CarMan, yes number 10. I will try the hole in the oil filter next time. Thanks.
                  1992 3288 Soul Purpose

Comment

Hole in oilfilter and open nummer 12 !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X