Best tools to have or making Bimini and other canvas projects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best tools to have or making Bimini and other canvas projects

Hey all you seeing experts.... I’m embarking on an new adventure to make new replacement canvas’ and such for my boat to save money. I also started working on a new targa type top for my bridge, but before I got too in depth, it though I would ask th experts on her what they thought were some of the most valuable tools to have on hand when making new canvas’... Besides a sewing machine, seam ripper, threat, fabric and basting tape, and such, what other tools or tricks do you think are helpful in making replacement Bimini canvas and other boat things, I have been watching various videos on the Sailrite and other websites. They have many great ideas, but I thought I’d ask everyone thier thought from a practical stand point.

I look forward to hearing earring the experts ideas.

Thanks,
    BJ
    OMEGA
    BJ
    OMEGA

Tool...

Binding attachment. Buy a 1” and a 2” right from the get go.

Trick here...

Use a product called facing as the edge for most of your panels that have “glass”.
    Facing is 2” sunbrella that is factory hemmed on both sides.

So...

Lets say you have a panel you want to build. Cut your clear isenglass to the size that you patterned.

Then if you want a 2” “frame” around your panel use a piece of facing on each side. Hold together with seamstick and sew two stitch lines, one near the inside edge and one near the outside edge. Finish the outside edge with 1” binding and you have a panel. Sew your zippers so the edges are flush with the edge of the panel and it will fit perfect.

If you want a 1” “frame” then use 2” facing in your binding attachment. Sew it on and you have a panel.

To make a curved frame simply cut your isenglass to your pattern, then use the curved edge to lay out the sunbrella. Measure in 2” and you have a curved piece of sunbrella matching your curved isinglass. Cut two of these. Then use your 1” binding attachment to sew 1” binding on the inside edge of the sunbrella pieces and you have a frame. Seamstick and sew just like a two piece straight frame, using 1” binding around the edge.

The videos Sailrite produces are fantastic. The problem is that they can tend to overcomplicate things unnecessarially.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Binding attachments buy a 1” and a 2” and make sure you get good ones. For cutting fabric get a hot knife. Make sure you have a really big table to work on. A sewing machine with a walking foot id great to have. As Kevin said the sailrite videos are fantastic. One thing I did on my sewing machine was to put a stop on the power peddle so it could only go so fast. When sewing canvas your better to go slow everything comes out better.
      1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
      5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

This was handy for me when I put my new canvas on,

https://www.sailrite.com/Quick-Fit-K...tioning-System

Mike
        2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
        2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
        2000 Ciera 2455 sold
        Redmond, Washington
        The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

Comment

Originally posted by igiftmon View Post
          Hey all you seeing experts.... I’m embarking on an new adventure to make new replacement canvas’ and such for my boat to save money. I also started working on a new targa type top for my bridge, but before I got too in depth, it though I would ask th experts on her what they thought were some of the most valuable tools to have on hand when making new canvas’... Besides a sewing machine, seam ripper, threat, fabric and basting tape, and such, what other tools or tricks do you think are helpful in making replacement Bimini canvas and other boat things, I have been watching various videos on the Sailrite and other websites. They have many great ideas, but I thought I’d ask everyone thier thought from a practical stand point.

I look forward to hearing earring the experts ideas.

Thanks,
          BJ
          OMEGA
          I did this job as I thought $6k was too expensive. I have never sewn anything previously except maybe a button on a shirt. I used the existing panels as a template. However you need a good sewing machine referred to as a walking foot. Sailrite.com has a good video on this and good tips on how to do zippers etc. I have attached pictures and hope they come out.
          Hugh
          1990 3888
          Hino 175 Diesels

Comment

The thing about setting up to make canvas for boats is: You need to set up for the alum or SS supports and fittings, or have someone to work with, or just make replacement canvas.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
            X