Never too early to plan a trip...Baltimore to New York Harbor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never too early to plan a trip...Baltimore to New York Harbor

Have any of you taken the trip from Baltimore, through the C&D Canal, round Cape May/NJ, and up the coast to NY...? Hopefully making 12kts average with 38 Bayliner.

I am looking for suggestions for fuel stop(s) and overnites...thinking 8 or so hours each day for three days...one stop each day/end of day...

Your thoughts are appreciated...

Nick
    1988 3888 "Liberty"
    Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
    Onan 8.0
    Boating Raritan Bay

I don't boat that area, but I keep an updated Water Way Guide for the great lakes so I always know fuel stops and where to stay. It also gives chart info of each port.
    There is also a free app you can download. I like the paper copy, but if you don't want to buy the app is the way to go.
    Dave
    2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
    2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
    2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
    http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

Comment

Waggoners is the cruising guide for the Northwest. Maybe they have an East Coast edition?
      Ted G
      The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
      Designers Edition
      Mercury 350 Mag
      290 Volvo DP

Comment

I think this is the area your talking about.
        https://www.waterwayguide.com/shipst...roducts_id=256
        Dave
        2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
        2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
        2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
        http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

Comment

Made that trip many times just in reverse. I always preferred Baltimore to CD canal and overnight either in Chesapeake City (walk to town and restaurants) or Summit North ( restaurant on premises with fuel and pump out). CD across Delaware Bay to Cape May Canal then go out the inlet to Atlantic City. Atlantic City to New York.
          Joe
          Green Eyed Lady
          Sandy Hook NJ

Comment

Joe...thank you...do I understand correctly, you make Chesapeake City to Atlantic City in one run...?
            1988 3888 "Liberty"
            Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
            Onan 8.0
            Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Dave / Ted...thank you for the Waterway Guide recommendation. I have used them before...was waiting for the 2018 version which comes out just after my trip...isn't that always the way. I've been poking around the EXPLORER...seems helpful enough... And yes, the Northern guide is exactly what I need...thanks for the link...

I recognize this is all a matter of Speed/Distance/Time but my unknown factor, until sea trials and survey are over, is speed. Right now I'm planning with 12 knots...more will get me further and a shorter day, less means a longer 3rd day... Not that I would mind...

1988 3888 "Liberty"
              Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
              Onan 8.0
              Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Nickp View Post
                Dave / Ted...thank you for the Waterway Guide recommendation. I have used them before...was waiting for the 2018 version which comes out just after my trip...isn't that always the way. I've been poking around the EXPLORER...seems helpful enough... And yes, the Northern guide is exactly what I need...thanks for the link...

I recognize this is all a matter of Speed/Distance/Time but my unknown factor, until sea trials and survey are over, is speed. Right now I'm planning with 12 knots...more will get me further and a shorter day, less means a longer 3rd day... Not that I would mind...

FWIW - 12 knots is a very awkward speed in that boat. Slower and you an get some efficiencies and faster you get some speed with little or no loss in nmpg.
                Please tell us which engines are in the boat?
                In general terms the boat likes to more at 10 knots or preferably less or over 14 knots dependent upon the boats condition and the sea states that you are in.
                We made that trip many years back when bringing our 47 up from De Land Fla - with good weather we were 'out side' and headed right to NY harbor.
                Northport NY

Comment

Originally posted by smitty477 View Post

FWIW - 12 knots is a very awkward speed in that boat. Slower and you an get some efficiencies and faster you get some speed with little or no loss in nmpg.
                  Please tell us which engines are in the boat?
                  In general terms the boat likes to more at 10 knots or preferably less or over 14 knots dependent upon the boats condition and the sea states that you are in.
                  We made that trip many years back when bringing our 47 up from De Land Fla - with good weather we were 'out side' and headed right to NY harbor.
                  Thanks, Smitty...getting speed information from current owner or broker is not likely...current owner, I believe, more putt-putted around the 10knot speed than anything else. In my hunt for a 38xx I've heard cruising ranges vary anywhere from 10-12 and 18 knots...so I really don't know what the right speed will be. I'm using 12 knots for planning purposes only to get an idea of where I will stop on the trip. Slower, get there later...faster, get there sooner...

Engines are Cummins 210hp...
                  1988 3888 "Liberty"
                  Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                  Onan 8.0
                  Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

Yes Nickp you are correct. I did it in my 38 as well as the 39. I did however run faster than 12 knots
                    Joe
                    Green Eyed Lady
                    Sandy Hook NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Nickp View Post

Thanks, Smitty...getting speed information from current owner or broker is not likely...current owner, I believe, more putt-putted around the 10knot speed than anything else. In my hunt for a 38xx I've heard cruising ranges vary anywhere from 10-12 and 18 knots...so I really don't know what the right speed will be. I'm using 12 knots for planning purposes only to get an idea of where I will stop on the trip. Slower, get there later...faster, get there sooner...

Engines are Cummins 210hp...
                      FWIW - our 1986 38 Bayliner with the 175 Hino's would cruise at 15 knots happily correctly propped. We made many 100+ mile trips at that speed over many seasons. We would get about 1.3+ nmpg at that speed although we have heard that many 38 owners got about 1.2 nmpg likely owing to the boats bottom condition, engine tune and propping.
                      Way back then we also cruised along side both a 38 with the 175's converted to 220's (TI added) as well as a 39 that had the 210 Hino's (4 cyl) - they each ran at 14-18 knots cruise and could reach right about 22 knots WOT.
                      The 38 did not come stock with Cummins as far as I know , the last year of 38 production was prior to Bayliner purchasing their initial load of Cummins engines.
                      So we would either run at 6-7 knots for efficiency or step it up to 14-15 knots to put it fully on plane and get at least a decent nmpg at speed.
                      Hope this helps - good luck with the trip.
                      Northport NY

Comment

Thanks, Smitty...the 210 Cummins were a repower. Soon as I get their serial nrs I'll get a hold of Cummins for more info...
                        1988 3888 "Liberty"
                        Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                        Onan 8.0
                        Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

What is your final destination?
                          New to me 1998 bayliner 3988 Cummins

Comment

Originally posted by Manzer74 View Post
                            What is your final destination?
                            Raritan Bay...New Jersey...

Should be a good trip...16kts from Baltimore to Cape May...dinner, good nights rest, fuel topoff, then Raritan on the second. This would leave me Sunday to goof off...but the closing is delayed a bit so not sure which weekend.
                            1988 3888 "Liberty"
                            Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                            Onan 8.0
                            Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

That’s going to be a nice trip. We have visited there a few times. We usually stay in great kills harbor, specifically great kills yacht club. Nice place great people and walking distance for a nice evening out. We are up the Hudson River in the marlboro yacht club.
                              New to me 1998 bayliner 3988 Cummins

Comment

Working...
                              X